Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a security system?
yes 43 52.44%
no 39 47.56%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:15 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,962,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
why would you want the cops to show up so fast if you have that sitting close by?
Lol! Agreed...and if you use that you make sure you kill him/her/them because otherwise liberal NJ laws give more rights to the criminals than the victims. If you don't kill them they'll sue and put you through years of litigation. Its real nice the way the justice system here works right? Its not like Florida or Texas where you have the right to defend your home at all costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 10:31 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,047,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
why would you want the cops to show up so fast if you have that sitting close by?
Not here in NJ. At my place in PA.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:45 AM

4,289 posts, read 10,779,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
I have one. Rationale is pretty simple.

If I'm home and there is a break-in, I have a panic button on the remote which automatically sends a call via land line to the monitoring center. If the land line is cut, there is a cell back-up with a 5-hour battery. The call will get the cops out ASAP. Although one like this is close by as well.

If I'm away, it's the peace of mind knowing that if there is a break-in, I'm not going to lose all my belongings. And if there is a fire, I'm not relying on neighbors to call it in. The smoke and heat detectors are all linked into the system and can trigger a call if they sense something.

The rebate on my home insurance is also nice to get.
jeez so you carry around a remote control all day at your own house? That sounds like living in fear to me

Old 08-10-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
jeez so you carry around a remote control all day at your own house? That sounds like living in fear to me
Hardly. Where I am is perfectly safe.

The remote is on the key chain with my house keys and I keep them on my person all the time. I'm talking about a key fob about 1" x 1", not some huge garage door type thing.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:23 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Lol! Agreed...and if you use that you make sure you kill him/her/them because otherwise liberal NJ laws give more rights to the criminals than the victims. If you don't kill them they'll sue and put you through years of litigation. Its real nice the way the justice system here works right? Its not like Florida or Texas where you have the right to defend your home at all costs.
thats why i have these in my springfield .45. gotta make the biggest hole possible.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:07 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,761,730 times
AND if you do kill them, drag them back into the house and into your bedroom. Also make sure to put some weapon near the body and claim its theirs, and you'll still probably end up doing some time. Gotta love the libs on gun control!!!! not! I keep a similar type of deterrant handy and would not mind doing time (if it came to that). If im on the property, someone would be seriously risking their lives to even THINK about doing anything to my family.

Homeowners insurance can replace anything in the house that they could steal. If I did get one, it would be more so for a panic button for my MIL or if something were to happen while no-one was home such as fire.

Captain... sawed off shotgun with a pistol grip makes a MUCH bigger hole. Im not recommending (cause their illegal and all)...im just saying... ;-)

Old 08-10-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
Captain... sawed off shotgun with a pistol grip makes a MUCH bigger hole. Im not recommending (cause their illegal and all)...im just saying... ;-)
im planning on getting something like this when i move to my own house.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:22 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,921,539 times
They seem like more trouble than they're worth. My girlfriend has one and you have to set the thing, then race out the door before it starts monitoring or whatever. Then you have to race back over to the panel and put the code in when you get back or the cops will show up. And you get to pay for the privilege to do all this. Unless I lived in Newark or somewhere like that, I wouldn't bother.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
They seem like more trouble than they're worth. My girlfriend has one and you have to set the thing, then race out the door before it starts monitoring or whatever. Then you have to race back over to the panel and put the code in when you get back or the cops will show up. And you get to pay for the privilege to do all this. Unless I lived in Newark or somewhere like that, I wouldn't bother.
Sounds like the gf wasn't given good instructions on how the keypad and system operate.

The amount of time between entering the code and the system actually being armed can usually be adjusted up to a 90 seconds. But that's why I use the remote; I can lock the door and key the remote without having to race out.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
its really not that big of a deal.

i didnt have one in the apartment but i couldnt imagine not having one in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey