Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:30 PM

49 posts, read 373,146 times

Advertisements

I had Slomin's once, not overly satisfied. I could get a deal on ADT through Weichert Gold. I've read some good things about Guardian.

Anyone have any opinions? Even local installers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 06:11 AM

23,876 posts, read 33,595,201 times
Do a search of this forum, there's another post on this.

We've had ADT & Guardian, Guardian IMO is better.
ADT screwed up our install, didn't connect the phone line or something important. Guardian found it when they came out.

Guardian calls if something loses power.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:30 AM

59 posts, read 105,100 times
All this security system stuff is baloney. My uncle had a pitbull and I can't think of a better home security system if you know what I mean. Some Puerto Rican guy tried to break into his house in Hillside, his dog tore his pants off and the dummy just took off running. It was funny to see this dummy running down the street with his pants all torn. He sure aint never coming back.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:52 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,674,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGUIDO View Post
All this security system stuff is baloney. My uncle had a pitbull and I can't think of a better home security system if you know what I mean. Some Puerto Rican guy tried to break into his house in Hillside, his dog tore his pants off and the dummy just took off running. It was funny to see this dummy running down the street with his pants all torn. He sure aint never coming back.
Except perhaps with a lawsuit. Ridiculous, I know, but 100% true.

Bklyn4Life, ADT gets you in the addons. Here is what they do - you get the whole system for free with a contract, right? Well, you get one keypad, and like 2 other devices, and thats it. Want a second keypad? You'll be paying for it through the nose.

My recommendation is to find a local contractor and a monitoring agency (separate companies). You get the stuff installed as detailed as you want, for a fair price to boot. Then, you only pay a monitoring agency a few bucks a month. A separate phone line dedicated to this is a good idea.

My coworkers are security consultants - not residential work, btw, we do corporate/college/government/etc, but I'm sure they have a few recommendations. I'll shoot them an email and see if they have specific people. What area are you in?

Old 04-17-2008, 08:47 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,615,650 times
Security system????? I must say, whenever I see Home for Sale - Security System included" I run the other way. If the house needs one then the neighborHOOD is not for me!

Old 04-17-2008, 08:57 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,622,208 times
My girlfrends parents have the ADT signs outside there house.(the neighborhood had a few robberies) ........they never had it installed and never had a problem. Wise idea I think.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
My recommendation is to find a local contractor and a monitoring agency (separate companies). You get the stuff installed as detailed as you want, for a fair price to boot. Then, you only pay a monitoring agency a few bucks a month. A separate phone line dedicated to this is a good idea.

My coworkers are security consultants - not residential work, btw, we do corporate/college/government/etc, but I'm sure they have a few recommendations. I'll shoot them an email and see if they have specific people. What area are you in?
I'll be in Hawthorne. I'd love some recommendations, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Security system????? I must say, whenever I see Home for Sale - Security System included" I run the other way. If the house needs one then the neighborHOOD is not for me!
For what it's worth, the house currently doesn't have one, and the previous owners had the house 50+ years, so good omen.

But, I'm from Brooklyn...we lock doors and secure the perimeters!

Old 04-17-2008, 09:22 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,615,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklyn4Life View Post
I'll be in Hawthorne. I'd love some recommendations, thanks!

For what it's worth, the house currently doesn't have one, and the previous owners had the house 50+ years, so good omen.

But, I'm from Brooklyn...we lock doors and secure the perimeters!
My neighbor who is originally from Philly is the only one in our town that has one - I tease him all the time..call him on his cell phone at work to tell him I though I saw a cow trying to break into his house : ))

Old 04-17-2008, 09:37 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,674,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Not true! You can get some very pleasant discounts from your insurance company for having one, not to mention you can add in items like automation, fire protection, etc. Also, bad areas aren't the only places theft happens, and a somewhat visible security system is as much as a deterrent as it is a means to catch the perpetrator.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
You can get some very pleasant discounts from your insurance company for having one...
Very true. Could be over $100 off my insurance premiums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey