Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 12:05 PM

122 posts, read 377,651 times

Advertisements

My wife has been disabled since late March and ineligible for NJ state disability as well as unemployment. I'm looking at possibly applying for Social Security Disability but I've heard enough horror stories about applications that I'd like to go through this with a lawyer.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I've heard horror stories about Binder & Binder so I'm really concerned about going with them. I called the Union County lawyer referral service and none of the lawyers returned my calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 12:42 PM

861 posts, read 2,719,074 times
Most attorneys will not work with you until you've exhausted 3 paper appeals.
You should find some helpful info here:
TBI Challenge!!

Old 03-07-2013, 12:57 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,442,881 times
from what i've heard unless you are legally blind its always turned down.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:30 PM

908 posts, read 1,556,324 times
They turn almost everyone down the 1st time even if they do qualify by SSD standards. Apply, and appeal before the deadline, then apply again, and get a lawyer. Make sure she is not shy about telling her doctor about symptoms & pain severity. If she is falling depressed behind being unable to work, then she should tell her doctor this also, and ask for a referral to a good psychologist. Everything must be documented, especially if she is young. I'd avoid Binder & Binder, as I heard bad things about them. Checking any lawyer with the Better Business Bureau is wise. Sorry I couldn't recommend anyone.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:11 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,059,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
from what i've heard unless you are legally blind its always turned down.
This is a pretty common misperception, I suspect it comes from the fact that the most vocal people are the ones turned down for SSDI.

The application is fairly straight forward and requires a description of the disability and how it interfers with her Activities of daily living. She will be required to supply info about all of the people who have treated her (dates, addresses, phone numbers).

DDS will request the medical/psychiatric info (if you can expedite that process by urging her care providers to supply ALL of their records- go to their office and stand over the medical records people until they hand you copies of her record, then keep copies for yourself and send the others to DDS, this helps a ton).

That info is reviewed and a determination might be made at that point. If she has more than one impairment, include them all as colorfulchic stated. Frequently, one impairment is not enough but coupled with others might qualify her. Her age, education and work hx are also considered.

If the records are not enough to make a determination, she might be sent to a State appointed physician/psychiatrist who will do an evaluation based on the disability guidelines.

If she is denied, appeal that decision right away. If she is denied at the appeals level she will have the opportunity to appear before an Administrative Law Judge......do that too. This Judge is not bound by any SSDI requirements and if you plead her case (backed up by the records you have kept) there is a good chance he/she will overturn the denial. He/she has the diffinitive say.

Although it can be a tedious process (it is the government), it is a matter of follow through and patience.

Good Luck!

Old 03-07-2013, 03:14 PM

453 posts, read 1,742,968 times
Direct message sent.

Rhys

Old 03-09-2013, 07:40 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,633,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
This is a pretty common misperception, I suspect it comes from the fact that the most vocal people are the ones turned down for SSDI.

The application is fairly straight forward and requires a description of the disability and how it interfers with her Activities of daily living. She will be required to supply info about all of the people who have treated her (dates, addresses, phone numbers).

DDS will request the medical/psychiatric info (if you can expedite that process by urging her care providers to supply ALL of their records- go to their office and stand over the medical records people until they hand you copies of her record, then keep copies for yourself and send the others to DDS, this helps a ton).

That info is reviewed and a determination might be made at that point. If she has more than one impairment, include them all as colorfulchic stated. Frequently, one impairment is not enough but coupled with others might qualify her. Her age, education and work hx are also considered.

If the records are not enough to make a determination, she might be sent to a State appointed physician/psychiatrist who will do an evaluation based on the disability guidelines.

If she is denied, appeal that decision right away. If she is denied at the appeals level she will have the opportunity to appear before an Administrative Law Judge......do that too. This Judge is not bound by any SSDI requirements and if you plead her case (backed up by the records you have kept) there is a good chance he/she will overturn the denial. He/she has the diffinitive say.

Although it can be a tedious process (it is the government), it is a matter of follow through and patience.

Good Luck!
AMEN. I have quite a few friends in the VVA that I served with that have gone through this process. You are spot on with your description of how the system works. I didn't know that the A.L.J. decision was definitive. I thought that S.S. usually abides by the ruling but did have the option to deny (I'm probably wrong). I have driven a few guys to their hearings. They were all done via video conference. Documentation is the key.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:41 AM

122 posts, read 377,651 times
Thank you all for the advice, and thank you Rhys for the info in your DM - I have reached out to them.

It's really tough since her disability is a balance disorder, which more or less has completely eliminated her from her career - her background is physics and she's been teaching in high school, and that requires the ability to stand and walk around a classroom all day. I hope we'll at least be able to get a little bit back on our feet and exist a bit easier if SSD kicks in.

Thanks again!

Old 03-26-2013, 09:28 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
NPR just did a story on Binder and Binder, the 400-pound gorilla of Social Security disability lawyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: