Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 07:47 AM

9,379 posts, read 20,825,751 times

Advertisements

Just don't do what this motorist did: How to Turn A speeding Ticket Into Jail Time - Truveo Video Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 11:11 AM

8 posts, read 35,885 times
Ottomobeal speaks the truth, Monty Hall, Lets make a Deal! Although most Cops are just doing there jobs, If they gave no one a break then where would the state get their money for the politicians to double dip! Remember no one likes being told they did wrong, but thats their job, the judge is the one who decides guilt.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:51 PM

59 posts, read 277,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
If you just mail in the money and plead guilty u have no chance at a reduction. Word of advice, for what it's worth don't waste your time fighting a radar ticket. I have NOT LOST 1 CASE involving radar in approx. 40 cases. All an attorney will do for you is ask for a reduction in points and fine. So you will waste money on that aspect of the case. You should ask for a meeting with the prosecutor and give a good reason and explain why you didn't know you were speeding. 9 times out of 10 they will downgrade to save the courts time because they have bigger fish to fry. Good luck and feel free to ask for more advice. Every poster before me had very good points also.JM
Thanks everyone for your posts. I dont think this was a radar. He was driving in front of me, then pulled to the side and stopped me. He had an unmarked car. How do you ask for a meeting with the prosecuter? Is this just done on the same day as the court case? What are good reasons for not knowing you are speeding. I did have my two young children in the car and have moved to the area just two months ago. Sound like a good reason?

thanks again

Old 11-17-2008, 04:22 AM

23,890 posts, read 33,625,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool-breeze View Post
In the past two days I received 8-10 letters from attorneys asking me to have them represent me in court.
My son has gotten tickets, I can tell you that you probably haven't seen the last of these letters.

If it happens again, I think I might return them all to sender.
I wouldn't use an attorney that needs to do this.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:36 AM

17,020 posts, read 12,617,549 times
>How do you ask for a meeting with the prosecuter? <

You dont need to. The prosecutor is the first line you get in. AFTER you see the prosecutor you see the judge.

Its a money game.

NJ; the GOTCHA! state.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:43 PM

612 posts, read 1,844,815 times
Some states say that if you drive 15 (most likely 20 MPH) over the speed limit, it's a reckless driving charge. I am not familiar with Jersey laws but I doubt you received a Reckless Driving charge or otherwise you would've gotten a court appearance slip. As everyone has said, do not get an attorney. There is nothing to really fight for. I went 18 over and just paid a fine (approx. $400). If you feel that you got the ticket in error then go ahead and spend all that money to try to get the ticket waived. Otherwise, just take it like a man/woman and pay the fine. Research on your jurisdictions' fines and penalties for speeding and then you should have an idea of what you're looking at. Good luck.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:45 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,770,329 times
My wonderful DH just got a speeding ticket in PA on the turnpike yesterday, 71 in a 65. Unbelievable. Anyway, does anyone know if he can try to plea this down in PA? Does it work the same as here?
Thanks.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:26 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,373,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool-breeze View Post
thanks for your responses. I am gathering that you think it is at least worth going to court as opposed to just sending the money and pleading guilty. it requires taking a half day off work and just want to be sure its worth it.
It will cut your points so its worth it. Isn't the Court at night? It was when my son had to go.

Diane G

Old 11-25-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
It will cut your points so its worth it. Isn't the Court at night? It was when my son had to go.

Diane G
Unfortunately the court appearance time is 9am. I don't know how long it will take but plan to get there early and hope I can be done by 10. Thanks everyone for your responses. Will let you know how it turns out.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:42 PM

Thumbs down the outcome!

went to court by myself. I met with the prosecutor who before I said anything said that you have a great record and that you can plea down to no points. There would be a surcharge. I got a violation called unsafe driving. My 110$ ticket with 4 points became a 440$ fine with no points. Who was the winner here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey