Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 12:57 PM

23 posts, read 105,496 times

Advertisements

We have been searching for a place but have many constraints like budget (lower 400s max), commute to NYC should be reasonable since both me and my wife work in NYC and we need a good size townhouse. Good schooling is prefered but not a must since our dear son is a few months old at the moment.

We have been searching for sometime and have taken a liking to gated communites with descent amenities and hence shortlisted Droyers Point in Jersey City and Cambridge Heights at Nutley.

Can people give their opinion as to which one is going to be a better choice .. I am listing out own comparison highlights
Nutley vs JC
1. High tax vs low lax
2. Good Schooling vs poor schooling
3. Very good complex versus good complex

Which of these is a better investment say 5-6 years down the line.

Please feel free to provide other options if you guys know of any which fit all the constraints.

Also, people who might know I would like to know specifics of commute from both these locations to determine the door-to-door time and options.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 03:57 PM

792 posts, read 3,136,508 times
Nutley is very nice. But I think those units are still overpriced (thus a sellers market) and taxes are very high (and probably will go even higher as its Essex County). I think they have buses to PABT and for the train you have to drive to Delawanna section of Clifton which is very close to Cambridge units.

Delawanna to Hoboken: 20-30 mins, then PATH or ferry to NYC.
Delawanna to NY Penn: 30-40 mins (change at Secaucus).

I guess the key question are the differentials in purchase prices and taxes compared to how much more these places can appreciate.

Will JC appreciate more (or depreciate less) and have less tax than Nutley? If the schools are not a factor now will they become factors in an evolving market of evolving demographics? Some key questions.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:03 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times
I would never, not in 1,000,000 years buy in Jersey City over Nutley.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:29 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
I have responded to arguments at the pool in society hill for years. That or should I say them pool areas sometimes are like war zones unfortunately in the summer with undesirables using a friends name and screwing it up for decent homeowners.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:15 AM

730 posts, read 2,887,248 times
Can you get a unit in Cambridge Heights for $400K? I lived in there a few years ago and they were selling for like $600K back then (resales). I also have to agree, they are overpriced although it is a very convenient location and very nicely maintained (although the gym sucks!). Transportation options are the bus right outside the gate that goes to Port Authority or you can walk/drive to the Dellawana station and switch in Secaucus for NYC. I live in JC now and like it, but I'm used to urban areas and am not worried about the school as I don't have or plan on having any kids.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:46 AM

23 posts, read 105,496 times
Thanks guys for the feedback.

Prices in Cambridge are start at a little over 400K and I am also of the opinion that they are slightly more than expected. Taxes are also a bomb in Cambridge Heights since it is in Essex County.

Both commutes are the same, most factors lean towards nutley but the one thing that I am not sure is the appreciation or depreciation in Nutley since I haven't lived there. I have been in JC for a long time and I know that Droyers point will do well in 5-6 years with new "proposed" development around that area. As for Nutley I guess any of you might have a better idea.

I have read on some forums that Nutley standards are going down ...any pointers why and what the impact might be ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey