Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 9,805 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm looking to move to within 30 minutes (bus) of Port Authority, in a suburban environment, almost certainly to a townhouse/condo, and have centered on Nutley as one of the few viable options. I have read the various postings on here regarding Cambridge Heights and recently visited the community to drive around and get a feel for the area. It seems nice but a few things struck me. It doesn't seem like anyone has posted on here in approx. 2 years regarding the community but I was left with 3 main questions after my visit there.
1. I noticed the units are VERY close together. When driving and looking around to without really focusing, your eye almost thinks that you are looking at one unit - based on the width you would expect it to reasonably be - when in fact you are looking at two. Driveways very close together, patios very close together......wondering if noise, most importantly, and privacy, are issues people feel any concerns/regrets over, or it's not so bad?
2. A neutral observer such as myself can't help but notice that with such incredibly tight patio spaces, it would only be logical to have patio dividers (residents own cost, of course), but there is not one in the whole community. It really jumps out, and makes you think there's a rule against it, and, sure enough, there is a rule against patio dividers (even though some can be quite sharp looking) found in the bylaws/rules online. Is the management really stuffy/uptight. Is this a bad environment to live in?
3. What's the demographics of the community? I don't care so much about race - I really mean age, single/couples, etc. I'm a single professional coming from Hoboken, looking for some peace and space but not for a dead zone or couple-ville or anything too far away from my background, naturally.
Thx in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 03:05 PM

262 posts, read 842,011 times
Did you look at Sleepy Hollow, Gateway at Nutley or other complexes in that area? (http://new.gsmls.com/publicsite/prop...icsite.English). Arbor Hills is co-op there where you can buy really cheap place.

When my sister was shopping for a condo in 2007, we looked all over the place and drove through Cambridge Heights and thought it was really nice complex, but very expensive at the time. She ended up buying in the Rivermill West condo complex in Belleville, NJ, but she commuted to UMDNJ everyday, instead of into NYC.

I think there are bus stops to NYC right outside complexes, though I am not sure if they go to Port Authority and if transit to NYC is under 30 minutes. IIRC, there is also train stop maybe a few blocks away (forgot the name).

City Place at Essex Park in Belleville, NJ is basically new Lennar community that is, I think, supposed to have bus stop right outside complex. Again, not sure how long commute in NYC is and if it goes to Port Authority or elsewhere.

Last edited by mshan242709; 04-26-2011 at 03:21 PM..

Old 04-26-2011, 03:15 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,694,197 times
I visited a friend who had bought one and wasn't that impressed with the workmanship or quality inside. For the price the cabinets were not well made either. You are correct the townhouses aren't very wide. Not sure what the taxes are now, a few years ago I think they were around $7K. Nutley taxes are quite high. I do not know whether there are singles, couples or seniors living there.

Although you indicate you prefer to be 30 minutes from Port Authority, there are quite a few townhouses, condos etc. further west in the vincinity of 46, 80 and 287. Most have bus service into NYC. I know in Parsippany it was Lakeland Bus.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:13 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,349,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshan242700 View Post
I think there are bus stops to NYC right outside complexes, though I am not sure if they go to Port Authority and if transit to NYC is under 30 minutes. IIRC, there is also train stop maybe a few blocks away (forgot the name).

City Place at Essex Park in Belleville, NJ is basically new Lennar community that is, I think, supposed to have bus stop right outside complex. Again, not sure how long commute in NYC is and if it goes to Port Authority or elsewhere.
The 192 to Port Authority stops outside the complex on Kingsland Rd and down River Road to White Terrace. Delawanna is also within walking distance, about 15 minutes up River Road and Oak St.
Essex Park has a bus stop on Franklin Ave, the 74 & 93H to the Branch Brook Park city subway station.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:55 PM

234 posts, read 941,241 times
Default Cambridge Heights looks pretty good to me

I have a relative who lives in Cambridge Heights, so I am there often.

I have always been impressed with the level of maintenance and upkeep there. Just looking at the gardening that is done at the entrance should tell you something, and I can attest to the fact that it is just as nice inside of the gates.

I don't know if any official demographic numbers exist (I doubt it), but I can tell you from personal experience that I have seen every age group in the spectrum, from mothers with infants in a stroller, to senior citizens out for an afternoon walk. I personally know four singles who live there - one male and three female.

The units that seem close together are townhouses, so they are attached. I can confirm that they are reasonably spacious inside. My relative's townhouse is slightly larger than the one my parents lived in in Bayonne.

Your observation that the patios have no dividers is correct, and I understand that is part of the ground rules there. But you should understand that is to make it easier for them in doing maintenance. They mow the grass (including your back yard) in the summer and shovel the snow (including your driveway and front steps!!) in the winter.

In fact, they do ALL of the outside maintenance within the community. That's something to think about if your life is busy and you don't have time to pull the weeds that are growing between your flowers, or if you don't want to take the time to shovel out your driveway before you can leave for work. They even maintain the exterior of your home.

Since they do everything - literally everything - outside of your four walls, they necessarily have to take steps to keep things somewhat standardized. But, my observation is that they do so without being overly intrusive. I am not aware of anything there that is any more confining than other condo associations.

A bonus is that the gated aspect keeps crime out. I always feel good when I am there, and I think that you should look seriously at the community.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:56 PM

4 posts, read 20,017 times
Has anyone successfully obtained a loan recently for a townhouse in Cambridge Heights?
I'm trying to put in an offer, but now my bank says that it may not approve because the HOA is suing the builder. Any hints on how to navigate this would be much appreciated.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:32 AM

25 posts, read 92,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uotani.arisa View Post
Has anyone successfully obtained a loan recently for a townhouse in Cambridge Heights?
I'm trying to put in an offer, but now my bank says that it may not approve because the HOA is suing the builder. Any hints on how to navigate this would be much appreciated.
Interesting. I've been looking at Cambridge Heights also and it'd be nice to know if there is a lawsuit pending.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:59 AM

4 posts, read 20,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALINOH View Post
Interesting. I've been looking at Cambridge Heights also and it'd be nice to know if there is a lawsuit pending.
There in something called transition litigation.

I went with Wells Fargo as my lender, and I was able to secure a loan with them. We closed just a little while ago. The litigation doesn't seem to be an issue in terms of obtaining financing if you want to purchase in Cambridge Heights.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:23 AM

6 posts, read 18,647 times
I know I am late, but does it require you to put 25% downpayment for loan approval ? My wells fargo agent told it needs condo approval if downpayment is < 25%. And it may be reason to not getting financing...

Please provide more information if you can.

Thanks,

Old 07-24-2012, 11:21 AM

388 posts, read 617,726 times
Have you tried a credit union?

Now only you may get a lower rate but the paper work is less cumberson and no funny fees. 20% down was the norm with Credit Unions, I do not know about the 25% down bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey