Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:11 PM

6,351 posts, read 10,009,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Start arming all the good citzens in area and set up out reach programs at the local black churches you will see those areas clean up their own towns and stop waiting for the police to do something. Shoot all those bastards and get them off the street.
Agreed, mostly. Even in the most despicable urban blight, black churches are still there and, with the exception of Obama's, offer hope for the inner cities. The second amendment and allowing law-abiding citizens to arm themselves is also a good idea. Vigilanteism, however, is not a good idea. Simply arming the citizens themselves will be enough of a message to the riffraff that enough is enough...if they want to take a chance robbing someone, knowing good and well that the said person has a 50/50 chance of legally carrying an weapon, then they will have to be a braver breed of hooligan than what currently inhabitats New Jersey's streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Isn't it "an ounce of prevention in inner cities costs suburban tax payers billions...with no cure"

Actually, the article in question did mention arrests in Piscataway...not exactly a "inner city" last time I checkes. The new wave of gangs are not just a minority, inner city problem, but also a suburb and, increasingly, white problem. Wait until crystal meth hits New Jersey in a BIG way...the state will have to re-evaluate it's racist notions, as meth is usually a white rural/suburban problem. They don't call it "hillbillie crack" for nothing.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:29 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,699,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
But, of course, New Jersey is far to corrupt and it's populace to idiotic to ever implement such a program...of course, it was Boston, with it's British heritage
*cough*Irish*cough*

Quote:
I have lived here my entire life and cannot WAIT to move! By the way, I am half Italian, half black, so do not accuse me of being racist.
Racist wasn't what came to mind. Ignorant? Different story.... mostly because your claims about NJ culture are... well... wrong.

Quote:
As for "open space" in New Jersey... HAH! that's rich.
LOL you really know nothing about New Jersey, do you? Where have you been living, in a methane treatment plant?

Quote:
As for air quality...are you joking? Drive an hour into upstate New York and take a deep breath, than come back to central New Jersey and tell me if there isn't a difference.
How about you leave the city. Try where I am, in Hunterdon County. Try Warren County. Try about 70% of New Jersey. Obviously, you've never been there either.

Quote:
I also doubt you will have tea, as 99.9% of New Jerseyians drink only Heineken or cheap wine at gatherings followed by the occasional "Jager bomb" to celebrate the Yankees.
So clueless....

But its ok, there is hope. The first thing I would like you to do is remove your head from your backside, which is the first step to improving your perceived air quality. Next, I would recommend you get a dose of reality. You can do this using mass transit, a car, or other vehicles (unfortunately, you can't just use your legs, there is far too much space to cover). What you do in this stage is take a trip outside of your tiny little world (I'm going to assume its Jersey City or similar based on your statements about those things called Guidos nowadays). Going west is easiest, though you could go south as well, but you'll have to pass through additional metropolitan areas.

Once you get into, for example, Somerset County, you begin to see places with large green signs that say "Preserved Open Space". Sometimes these places will be privately owned or leased preserved farmland, other times they will have converted it into a park, made trails, etc. Now, in one step, we've eliminated three portions of ignorance! We've handled open space, air quality, AND your perception of the people of NJ outside Hoboken-esque momos (HobokenGuy, you know who the momos are, and who they aren't )

Lastly, if you would like to debate gun control, methods of removing gangs, or the existence of corruption in NJ, and how to defeat it - thats fine. In fact, I love that kind of discussion. However, you really need to leave your stupidity behind. While you made one worthwhile statement (Boston Gun Project), the rest of your post was worth less than the TP I flushed this morning.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:04 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,021,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
While you made one worthwhile statement (Boston Gun Project), the rest of your post was worth less than the TP I flushed this morning.
And you're arguing with a person calling himself a "Victorian Punk" (Boy, that conjures images of that awful movie "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" or whatever it was called), claiming to be half Italian, half Black, and to hate Italian food why? C'mon CuCullin, you're an intelligent guy-don't waste your words on someone who should just go back to wearing puffy poet shirts while riding bikes with enormous front wheels. That is when he's not typing on his steam powered "calculating machine."

Old 04-29-2008, 08:11 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,699,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
And you're arguing with a person calling himself a "Victorian Punk" (Boy, that conjures images of that awful movie "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" or whatever it was called), claiming to be half Italian, half Black, and to hate Italian food why? C'mon CuCullin, you're an intelligent guy-don't waste your words on someone who should just go back to wearing puffy poet shirts while riding bikes with enormous front wheels. That is when he's not typing on his steam powered "calculating machine."
I was bored, with internet access, on the train this morning

Old 04-29-2008, 08:12 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,021,673 times
Quote:
I was bored, with internet access, on the train this morning
Ok, that's a good enough excuse. In other news...

VictorianPunk himself?

Old 04-29-2008, 01:57 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,122,692 times
Quote:
Actually, the article in question did mention arrests in Piscataway...not exactly a "inner city" last time I checkes. The new wave of gangs are not just a minority, inner city problem, but also a suburb and, increasingly, white problem. Wait until crystal meth hits New Jersey in a BIG way...the state will have to re-evaluate it's racist notions, as meth is usually a white rural/suburban problem. They don't call it "hillbillie crack" for nothing.
Piscataway is a city IMO. Classifying all of NJ as "euro-southern" is awfully incorrect and...cough...racist?!

Old 04-29-2008, 02:20 PM

253 posts, read 1,270,261 times
Wow - 3 weeks later and look at what has this topic turned into. shame shame shame.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
*cough*Irish*cough*

Racist wasn't what came to mind. Ignorant? Different story.... mostly because your claims about NJ culture are... well... wrong.

LOL you really know nothing about New Jersey, do you? Where have you been living, in a methane treatment plant?

How about you leave the city. Try where I am, in Hunterdon County. Try Warren County. Try about 70% of New Jersey. Obviously, you've never been there either.

So clueless....

But its ok, there is hope. The first thing I would like you to do is remove your head from your backside, which is the first step to improving your perceived air quality. Next, I would recommend you get a dose of reality. You can do this using mass transit, a car, or other vehicles (unfortunately, you can't just use your legs, there is far too much space to cover). What you do in this stage is take a trip outside of your tiny little world (I'm going to assume its Jersey City or similar based on your statements about those things called Guidos nowadays). Going west is easiest, though you could go south as well, but you'll have to pass through additional metropolitan areas.

Once you get into, for example, Somerset County, you begin to see places with large green signs that say "Preserved Open Space". Sometimes these places will be privately owned or leased preserved farmland, other times they will have converted it into a park, made trails, etc. Now, in one step, we've eliminated three portions of ignorance! We've handled open space, air quality, AND your perception of the people of NJ outside Hoboken-esque momos (HobokenGuy, you know who the momos are, and who they aren't )

Lastly, if you would like to debate gun control, methods of removing gangs, or the existence of corruption in NJ, and how to defeat it - thats fine. In fact, I love that kind of discussion. However, you really need to leave your stupidity behind. While you made one worthwhile statement (Boston Gun Project), the rest of your post was worth less than the TP I flushed this morning.
I have lived ALL OVER Jersey...Hunterton county reminds me of that bad, "country ghetto" where meth is mass produced and guys with gunia-tees beat their wifes. Alas, Jersey does not have a countyside so to speak. I have been to Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, the deep south (WAYYYY too hot for me) and it is a completely different story. And I actually lived in Somerset county, Franklin to be exact, and it was HORRABLE. Just suburban sprawl. Compared to the EXPANSES of space in Maine and, or course, Cascadia (where I plan to move to) it is a urban blight.

Also, guido is not an Italian-only phenomenon, as much as it is a South-Euro influence thing. One can be a guido without having a drop of Italian blood...and, at the same time, one can be Italian and not be a guido. Culture are bloodline are two different things. It is culture that I am talking about.

For more on that culture, I suggest that you read "The Soprano State: New Jersey's cultrure of corruption" by Sandy McClure and Bob Ingle, as it is an eye-opening experience.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post

First of all, yes, I am half Italian and do indeed DESPISE Italian food...IT DISGUSTS ME! I am also not a big fan of Mexican...and neither is my stomach. Soul food... *sigh* sometimes, stereotypes are indeed true, as I am quite partial to collard greens, smothered pork chops, cornbread, and all that other "pimp and ho' " fair, as it where. I am also quite partial to any and all Asian food, except Indian...smelling Islin and Edison on numerous occasions have left me with a bias against curry.

Also, IF YOU WOULD EVER STOP BEING A TYPICAL JERSYIAN AND READ SOMETHING, YOU WOULD UNDERSTAND THE USERNAME!

Ever hear of a fellow named William Gibson? Well, he wrote a book called "The Difference Engine" allong with Bruce Sterling that gave rise to the FANTASTIC sci-fi subgenre of "steampunk." Part alternative-history, part sci-fi, part crime drama, it is all about the same rebelious heroes (or anti-heroes) MASSIVE megacompanies reminescent of anarcho-capitalism, multi-national crime organizations and spellbinding visualls of cyberpunk but told in an age of Victorian/Edwardian/industrial Europe and America, taking technology as far as it could go WITHOUT electricity...which is, suprisingly, quite far.
Charles Babbage's own Difference Engine, which he never finished, would have been more advanced than anything build until the age of Alan Turing! (that is, post WWII) and he designed it in 1822!...

Alas, the average Jersyian has no use for history, and cannot read his/her way through a book of matches. Unless it's school season, and the college students need to buy required reading, I am the only one in Barnes and Nobles under age of fifty every time I go there. Anyhow, what is steampunk?...

Last edited by victorianpunk; 04-29-2008 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: added photo and spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey