Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 09:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,730 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have recently looked at the Kaplan apartments in Perth Amboy and Carteret, the Camelots. My husband will be working in Freehold and I work in Newark, and they both are in the middle. We don't need good public schools since we don't have children yet.

We've read a lot about how bad Carteret is but we didn't get that vibe when we went to visit. Of course, it isn't a pretty place, but we didn't feel unsafe. Some of the comments on both Perth Amboy and Carteret are pretty old (over a year or two) and we would love to hear some newer comments about both areas.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 11:08 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,644,889 times
Perth Amboy is a safe town convenient to many daily things. They have a grocery store open 24 hours and bars many hispanics go to drink. Carteret is a bit cut off from the surrounding towns but not as crouded as Perth Amboy. Carteret is really just a big neighborhood with a park and school. I lived in South Amboy and enjoyed the small town feeling and waterfront very much.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:32 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,896,349 times
Carteret is surrounding by Industrial refinery's and is isolated compared to Perth Amboy....

Old 07-19-2011, 04:53 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,457,410 times
OP Perth Amboy is a much better bet in my opinion. Despite the large Hispanic population you shouldn't have to worry about the crime here. It's very low compared to other urban areas. It's safe at night. Been here a couple of times at night. No muggings, no shootings, nothing. It also has a nice waterfront section, and depending on your budget you can check a house there. (east of kearny avenue) near the marina. You should also check out Harbortown Crossing(not Harbortown terrace), Federal Hill, and Landings at Harborside. All three might have what you're looking for.

The best of luck to what your decision is.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:40 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,604,150 times
I have to disagree. As someone who has been to both communities (though not sure about the specific apartments), I felt safer in Carteret. I am not saying Perth Amboy is so bad, it really isn't that bad. It is just as a whole, Carteret seemed better on the whole. Just look at the crime stats on CD; both are not bad places but Carteret is definitly a little better.

Last edited by lentzr; 07-19-2011 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: forgot to add something

Old 07-19-2011, 04:29 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,457,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I have to disagree. As someone who has been to both communities (though not sure about the specific apartments), I felt safer in Carteret. I am not saying Perth Amboy is so bad, it really isn't that bad. It is just as a whole, Carteret seemed better on the whole. Just look at the crime stats on CD; both are not bad places but Carteret is definitly a little better.
True but it seems that Perth Amboy has much more to offer in terms of a community, waterfront, historic homes, much more active downtown (people come from out of town to shop) carteret's downtown is kind of dead. Plus it's close to the malls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey