Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 01:15 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I agree with the rest. We have 3 cars and 2 EZpasses.
Why don't you just get a dedicated EZPass for the Corvette???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 01:44 PM

604 posts, read 2,914,466 times
I hate to throw a monkey wrench into the mix but a friend got a ticket on the NY thruway for having his EZ pass on his second car which was not registered with the pass. Perhaps NY has different rules than NJ.

E

Old 01-27-2008, 01:48 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,809,148 times
I gave my husband mine, and he used it, and got a fine. They sent him a pic of his plate which wasn't registered to my account. I don't know why they took the pic, but I wonder if they do a random spot check. I went online and registered his plate on my account and now it's ok. EZ pass told me I could use it in any car, but had to register the plate with them. I don't know what difference it makes; the toll gets paid for regardless.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:08 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
I gave my husband mine, and he used it, and got a fine. They sent him a pic of his plate which wasn't registered to my account. I don't know why they took the pic, but I wonder if they do a random spot check. I went online and registered his plate on my account and now it's ok. EZ pass told me I could use it in any car, but had to register the plate with them. I don't know what difference it makes; the toll gets paid for regardless.
It's possible if he was holding the EZ Pass it didn't register. Last year a rental agency told me that they don't allow you to use EZ Pass. I called to check and EZ Pass said they can't do that and I was fine using it.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:47 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Why don't you just get a dedicated EZPass for the Corvette???

please! corvette....don't insult me! it's the 2 seater Benz convertible of course..............

Old 01-28-2008, 08:20 AM

741 posts, read 3,510,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
I hate to throw a monkey wrench into the mix but a friend got a ticket on the NY thruway for having his EZ pass on his second car which was not registered with the pass. Perhaps NY has different rules than NJ.

E
AAHH, I'm flying into Philly, renting a car at the airport and driving to NJ (Home sweet Home). I was really hoping I didn't have to stop and pay every stinking toll.

Do the rental car agencies have ezpass?

Old 01-28-2008, 08:29 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj View Post
Can I use my EZ Pass in a rental car?
According to the agreement with EZpass, each pass is supposed to be for a specific vehicle. Functionally, however, I think they're ok so long as they get paid every time one of them goes through a toll.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:12 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj View Post
OK, I called the ez pass people on Friday, and I asked the same question. The woman who answered told me that I had to call NJ EZ when I rent the car and give them the license plate #. Or EZ Pass lane will take a picture of the license plate and send the car rental company a fine.

I figured if the account is active when I go through the toll it would just immediately deduct the toll off the account. Since I'm only renting the car for 3 days, It doesn't make sense to give them the plate # from the rental company. Who knows how long it would take them to remove that plate from my account..So whoever rents the car after me would have free rides on the toll roads.. Does this make any sense to anyone???
They do it so if your EZPASS transponder is not read they know where to send the bill. I've had issues with my transponders not being read on the NJ Tpk. and G.S. Pkwy. I have 4 transponders and are all registered to the vehicles they are used in. I have gone through lanes where the sign says no EZPASS read, called EZPASS a few days later and they already had the info because they noted the license plate number. They know that license plate is on my account and they charge me the correct toll. I have 1 easy pass that I switch out between 3 vehicles (1 pickup, 1 car and 1 motorcycle) because you can only have 4 transponders on one account and I have a total of 6 vehicles. I never had a problem. If you do give them the plate # of the rental make sure you remove it from your account as soon as you are done with the rental so you don't run into problems. My suggestion is if you can avoid high speed lanes and go through a lane that verifies your transponder has been read (SLOWLY), you can minimize any potential problems.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:16 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
According to the agreement with EZpass, each pass is supposed to be for a specific vehicle. Functionally, however, I think they're ok so long as they get paid every time one of them goes through a toll.
EZPASS support has told me on a number of occasions (when I have sent a transpoder back to them that wasn't working) that I can swap them between the vehicles I own (that are registered with them). If you have 4 on your account they won't send you a replacement until they receive one from you. They say it's either that or use a manned lane (heavens forbid).

Old 01-28-2008, 11:33 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Seeing all the different opinions, I decided to simply go look it up. So here's the link to the EZPass web site FAQ (http://www.ezpass.com/static/faq/tag.shtml#share - broken link). What you'll see there is that you can use the pass in any & all vehicles of the same class. Even if you don't own a car at all. Happy travelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey