Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:07 AM

593 posts, read 893,775 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently have NY EZ PASS, but I live in NJ and use NJ Turnpike a lot to commute. Would I get a better rate if I get a NJ EZ PASS? How about going thru Holland Tunnel? Which one is better? Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Atsushi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
I can't answer your question directly, but I heard something on the radio this morning that could be useful to you. Someone was saying that they were having issues with their EZ pass unit and they were getting tickets in the mail because it wasn't registering they had EZ pass. I believe the normal procedure is they would check and see if you had an EZ pass account and then only charge you the toll and not the penalty.

This person was then told since he had a NY EZ pass and the tolls were in NJ that this did not apply and he had to pay both the toll and the fine.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:03 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I can't answer your question directly, but I heard something on the radio this morning that could be useful to you. Someone was saying that they were having issues with their EZ pass unit and they were getting tickets in the mail because it wasn't registering they had EZ pass. I believe the normal procedure is they would check and see if you had an EZ pass account and then only charge you the toll and not the penalty.

This person was then told since he had a NY EZ pass and the tolls were in NJ that this did not apply and he had to pay both the toll and the fine.
I think the problem here is that the plate doesn't get updated on the account and that's why fines accrue. It happened to my friend and when he updated his plate they waived the fines.

I don't know if the tolls are better with NJ ez pass.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:21 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
Hello,

I currently have NY EZ PASS, but I live in NJ and use NJ Turnpike a lot to commute. Would I get a better rate if I get a NJ EZ PASS? How about going thru Holland Tunnel? Which one is better? Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Atsushi
It was on the news yesterday. EZ pass from New York discounts NY tolls, EZ pass from NJ discounts NJ tolls, EZ pass from the Port Authority discounts Port Authority crossings. According to the report if your EZ pass is from New Jersey and you incur a toll in New York you don't get a discount and vice versa. I guess if you travel a lot in both states (NY/NJ) you can get one from each state and the Port Authority and switch them as needed. Not 100% sure about that (don't know if you can have more than 1 EZ pass account) so you might want to check. Like others have already said, make sure all your vehicle info is updated on your EZ pass account. I had a transponder some years ago that would work sometimes and not work others. I went through the turnpike toll lanes a couple of times and the display said NO EZ PASS READ. When I called EZ pass they said not to worry about it as long as my vehicle and plate info were correct. When I checked my statement all the info was correct. At least that's the way it was for me in New Jersey.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:37 AM

257 posts, read 684,723 times
If you only use the Holland and the turnpike then a NJ customer center EZ pass will suffice(i.e. get both discounts). If you use the intra-city bridges and tunnels(triboro, queens-midtown tunnel, etc.) then you need a NY service center tag to get the discounted rate. Keep in mind that at $1/month service charge you'll be ahead even if you use the discount once.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:17 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post

That person wasn't to bright. Doesn't matter which State your EZpass is from. It's EZpass...period.

I have EZpass accounts from NY and MD and yes I do receive violations when the toll plaza doesn't record the account properly and I've NEVER had to pay the penalty.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:27 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
That person wasn't to bright. Doesn't matter which State your EZpass is from. It's EZpass...period.

I have EZpass accounts from NY and MD and yes I do receive violations when the toll plaza doesn't record the account properly and I've NEVER had to pay the penalty.
Hello. The EZ-Pass Interagency Group consists of 23 agencies in 12 states. It doesn't matter which one you got yours from.

I'm not sure how discounts work, though--might be related to residency?

Old 05-02-2012, 08:35 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Discounts are tied into whatever agency your EZ Pass is from as the other poster mentioned. For instance NJ customers get the off peak rates on the Port Authority bridges, tunnels, NJ Turnpike, etc but probably no discounts on the NYC MTA bridges/tunnels like the Verazzano, etc.
Similarly the NY Thruway has some volume or commuter discounts.

I think with EZ Pass you pay $9 instead of $12 cash to cross the river into NYC.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:22 AM

119 posts, read 492,383 times
I have both a NY and NJ EZ Pass. I use them both. I don't keep them both in the car at the same time, or they would both activate and I'd pay double at every toll booth. The NJ EZ Pass gives me discounts on the Turnpike off peak, and when I work in NJ, I use that one. If I have to travel into Manhattan midweek, I use the NJ EZ Pass, as I get the Turnpike discount and Port Authority Bridge and Tunnel discounts. If I have to go to Long Island on the weekend, the NJ Turnpike has no discount on the weekend, I take the NY EZ Pass, because the NJ EZ Pass won't give me the discount on the Throgsneck, Whitestone, and Verrazano Bridges. Just taking the VZ bridge and getting the discount once pays the monthly fee for almost 5 months.

The NJ EZ Pass will not give you discounts on any of the MTA Bridges or Tunnels, or tolls on the NYS Thruway. Both EZ Passes give you the discount on Hudson River crossings. Those crossings are $12 cash, or $9.50 using either EZ Pass during peak hours, or $7.50 off peak. Between NJ and Manhattan, you only really need the NJ EZ Pass. Travel from LI to NJ thru Staten Island and you'd really want the NY EZ Pass.

I do save lots of money using both at the right time.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:37 PM

39 posts, read 152,055 times
Unhappy I'm totally confused now

I live in Brooklyn and in the next 2 months or so, my new job-commute is going to be Springfield, NJ. After maestrosteve's words, I am now totally unable to be found the right way. I am thinking of buying the NJ E-ZPass Standard Plan+The Port Authority NY/NJ Staten Island Bridges (PASI) Plan. But, not yet sure...Please, help me figure it out. Thank you very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey