Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:41 AM

119 posts, read 492,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnny View Post
My bad maestrosteve..I am reading mixed opinions and may be that's why I got a bit confused. So, we narrowed down to getting a NY e-zpass in my case..Wondering when we move to NJ(2-3months from now) do I have to buy a NJ paass, too?
You don't have to get a NJ EZ-Pass unless you find yourself driving around where it would benefit you. Nobody can answer that but you. You can have both, or use the NY one now and cancel it later to get the NJ one, if that benefits you.

Where I travel, it works for me to have both because I save a substantial amount of money, but if it wasn't worth it, I would just have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 09:57 AM

39 posts, read 152,164 times
Well said, I'll keep in mind. And I thank you to all who participate in this E-Zpass euphoria. Cheers

Old 02-19-2013, 11:28 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,596,404 times
I think the only diff between the agencies is the discount available. As long as your lic plate is registered on your EZ Pass account you shouldn't incur any violation penalties anywhere. If you do you just fill out the info online and its gone.

Now I remember there are different agencies in NY issuing EZ Pass such as the NY Thruway, the MTA bridges and tunnels and the PA (Port Authority) si maybe there is even more searching involved.

They should just make it so one EZ Pass account gets all the discounts,,,???? I know, that makes too much sense

Old 02-19-2013, 02:53 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,164,666 times
I got a NY EZPass, so should I cancel it and get a NJ EZPass now that I moved to NJ (and hardly ever drive to NY anymore).

Old 02-19-2013, 02:55 PM

39 posts, read 152,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
I got a NY EZPass, so should I cancel it and get a NJ EZPass now that I moved to NJ (and hardly ever drive to NY anymore).
Obviously Praxis.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:59 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,164,666 times
Thanks!

Old 03-28-2014, 02:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,325 times
I live in nj and commute to yonkers, I take the nj turnpike, the GW bridge and the henry Hudson bridge, I also use the garden state parkway in nj on weekends. what ez pass shall I get NJ or NY or both

Old 03-28-2014, 03:02 AM

119 posts, read 492,671 times
lilyarlene,

You'll save more money with the NJ EZ Pass ONLY if you can travel on the Turnpike, GW Bridge and GS Pkwy OFF PEAK times during the week. You would then get the discount everywhere except for the Henry Hudson Bridge.

If you only travel during the peak times and weekends, you won't save any money with a NJ EZ Pass, but you'd save on the Henry Hudson Bridge if you get a NY MTA EZ Pass. I honestly don't know if the regular NY-NJ Port Authority EZ Pass will give you the discount, you might have to apply for the MTA EZ Pass. The MTA EZ Pass will give you a $2.44 savings each time at the HH Bridge.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:40 AM

389 posts, read 664,704 times
If you have the NY State EZ Pass, and u take the port authority bridges/tunnels a lot, there are a number of discount plans you can sign up for (you have to sign up, tho!)

This is in addition to the normal discount

For example, aside from the staten island commuter plan (mentioned earlier), if you have 3 people in the car, AND are willing to take the cash lanes, you can get the 'carpool' discount--the toll is something like $4-5 on the outerbridge/goethels/lincoln/holland

I moved to NJ from NY and we decided to keep NY

Old 03-28-2014, 08:46 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,596,404 times
It would be a bit difficult to have 2 different EZ Pass accounts because then you would have to hide one of the transponders in a metallic type bag so you don't get double charged every time you drive through.
Just figure out whichever one has the most discounts for whatever roads you drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey