Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:43 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,637,590 times

Advertisements

There is $1 monthly fee. Does NY EZ Pass have any fees? I heard someone say it has none and also no residency requirements so maybe I should get that one instead?
Is there any difference in how these passes operate? (toll discounts, rules, etc)

Last edited by OleSchoolFool; 12-13-2011 at 09:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 07:02 AM

257 posts, read 685,484 times
The NJ one gets you a discount on the Turnpike, the NY one on the bridges and tunnels, I think the Parkway is issuing agency agnostic. I'm not sure whether there's a monthly fee on the NY pass, but they definitely don't require residency.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:11 AM

861 posts, read 2,719,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
There is $1 monthly fee. Does NY EZ Pass have any fees? I heard someone say it has none and also no residency requirements so maybe I should get that one instead?
Is there any difference in how these passes operate? (toll discounts, rules, etc)
Thanks for asking this too, I have been trying to figure out the *best* state to get EZ Pass through. I don't travle toll roads EVERY month, so really don't want to pay a monthly fee.
I have heard that other states (like PA or maybe CT... can't remember) do not charge a fee, but do charge an out of state resdient fee.
Just having a hard time figuring out which would be best for me.... looking forward to reading the answers you receive!

Old 12-14-2011, 10:50 AM

147 posts, read 389,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Thanks for asking this too, I have been trying to figure out the *best* state to get EZ Pass through. I don't travle toll roads EVERY month, so really don't want to pay a monthly fee.
I have heard that other states (like PA or maybe CT... can't remember) do not charge a fee, but do charge an out of state resdient fee.
Just having a hard time figuring out which would be best for me.... looking forward to reading the answers you receive!
It depends a great deal where you live and where you travel most, of course. Generally I think if you live in NJ, it's most convenient/economical to get an NJ pass.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:43 PM

257 posts, read 685,484 times
I checked an NY charges $1/month as well. So your decision should be based on whether you're more likely to use any of the PANYNJ bridges and tunnels or the Turnpike.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:53 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,818 times
Our NJ EZ Pass gets us a discount on the bridges/tunnels to NY, depending on the time of day. Instead of $12 cash, it's either $9.50 or $7.50. (I think the discount starts after 8 p.m.)

Old 12-14-2011, 03:08 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,665,095 times
Quote:
I have been trying to figure out the *best* state to get EZ Pass through
Doesn't matter much. EZ Pass in other states still is through NJ. NH EZPass is still out of Newark, NJ.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:16 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,411,876 times
i still have my PA EZPass, never changed it. I'm pretty sure i get the discount at the lincoln tunnel - it's an off-peak discount for EZPass tags, not a discount for specific EZPass holders, as i understand it.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:19 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,161,492 times
After I received FIVE violations in a row, I got rid of mine- I'd rather use exact change ... I had gotten a new car, didn't realize I had to let them know, and when I went through the toll booth I started receiving tickets. I tried to fight it, but it was frustrating so I paid it. Then canceled it.

I don't use mine much anymore so it worked out for me.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:21 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,665,095 times
Quote:
After I received FIVE violations in a row, I got rid of mine
First off when you go through and you get an error message, ever think of getting it replaced? the battery doesn't last forever. Secondly, if you got rid of it, why would expect NOT to get a violation?
If you still had a valid account, all that is required is payment of the toll. If you had NO account, you are required to pay the violation as you did NOT have EZPass.

What does telling them you got a new car do if you "got rid of the unit"? Updating the registration and vehicle seems like a no brainier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey