Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2013, 06:17 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Your home is your castle.
my home is not my castle. what does that mean exactly? you think if you give a loftier title to my home that makes it more important than my life? you could burn my home to the ground with all my possessions, kill my dog and cat, blow up my cars and it wouldnt bother me in any measurable way compared to something happening to me, my wife or daughter. the important things to defend arent attached to my home.

and you lose credibility when you lump suicides in with gun deaths. nobody cares about those numbers and you/anti-gun folk use them because they significantly inflate your gun death numbers.

oh and the odds do not increase equally for everyone. they are lessened for some people and raised for others. but there is a choice a gun owner makes also. he can be aware that if he doesn't pull a gun, there is a good chance that the person pointing a gun at him wont shoot him. but then he is leaving his life to the odds. if the gunman wants to shoot him, he can do so without resistance. so you are putting your life in the hands of the gunman. but if you choose to have a gun and try to fight back, you are giving yourself a chance to survive even if the gunman had plans to kill you no matter what. some people may wish to roll the dice and let the person choose whether they live or die and some people may want to give themselves/their family a fighting chance no matter what the criminal decides.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:23 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Not much info coming out but just perhaps because his wife was already in the car he resisted a little and they shot him....hitmen don't car jack the car and usually don't carry the hit out around potential witnesses
Sure they do! I was watching an interview once with former Mafia hit men who are now in prison. One guy was saying how they were so much more honorable than the Colombians, because the Colombians will kill a man's family, children, everything, while the Mafia contract killers only kill the target. He went on to give an example of how they hit a guy who was in the car outside a supermarket. His wife was in the front seat, children were in the back. The hit man walked up and popped the guy behind the ear--"didn't touch the wife or kids!".

I think we were supposed to be impressed with his integrity.

What I was thinking was that the WIFE might have been the one who had him taken out--that would explain why she wasn't killed. From these newer reports saying he was defending her, it doesn't sound that way. Still, I'm sure the police are quietly checking out the life insurance situation, etc.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:26 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucylinus View Post
I lived in Short Hills for 10 years and maybe went to the mall a dozen times. And it was always during daylight hours.

There is rampant shoplifting with police activity and stolen cars.

The day I moved from New Jerseynthere was a violent home invasion two blocks from me (happened while movers were packing my stuff)

You could not pay me any amount of money to move back there.
I see you live in Colorado now. It's a good thing that no one ever gets shot out there.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:43 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
I see you live in Colorado now. It's a good thing that no one ever gets shot out there.
Now if she said "The skiing is awesome out here! You could not pay me any amount of money to move back there." That would be a reason I could respect.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:53 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm5878 View Post
A 100 foot wall needs to be constructed around the perimiter of Newark and maybe that way, they can all just kill each other off.
Does anyone stop to think that there are innocent people that live in Newark too?
Statements made that way sound racist,sorry to be blunt but its the truth.

Let's see...I was living in Newark,making 85,000/yr,paying my taxes,and just making an honest living,
(Because I couldn't afford to live anywhere else in Nj,and at that time,I didn't want to).
Yet someone like you would just let the thugs destroy eneryone.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:56 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranredd View Post
What bothers me more about this is the lack of exposure that happens when these same incidents happen in crime ridden areas - as if those areas DESERVE that type of thing to happen and everyone just becomes desensitized to it.

This man lost his life and its EXTREMELY tragic. However, I look at this as a result of crime ridden areas "spilling over" into nicer areas. If you reduce the crime at the source, the spill doesn't happen so often. People won't have break-ins in places like Millburn. Instead you just reduce it down to a very small few.

I bet if it was some black middle class couple who were shopping in downtown Newark when someone stole their 2010 Honda Civic and killed the husband,no coverage would have been given

Old 12-17-2013, 07:02 AM

395 posts, read 603,968 times
Maybe so, but it's funny how EVERY carjacking or stolen car winds up in Newark or East Orange. The same goes for the thieves. Show me the last time I stolen car wound up in Franklin Lakes or Princeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Does anyone stop to think that there are innocent people that live in Newark too?
Statements made that way sound racist,sorry to be blunt but its the truth.

Let's see...I was living in Newark,making 85,000/yr,paying my taxes,and just making an honest living,
(Because I couldn't afford to live anywhere else in Nj,and at that time,I didn't want to).
Yet someone like you would just let the thugs destroy eneryone.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:17 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sure they do! I was watching an interview once with former Mafia hit men who are now in prison. One guy was saying how they were so much more honorable than the Colombians, because the Colombians will kill a man's family, children, everything, while the Mafia contract killers only kill the target. He went on to give an example of how they hit a guy who was in the car outside a supermarket. His wife was in the front seat, children were in the back. The hit man walked up and popped the guy behind the ear--"didn't touch the wife or kids!".

I think we were supposed to be impressed with his integrity.

What I was thinking was that the WIFE might have been the one who had him taken out--that would explain why she wasn't killed. From these newer reports saying he was defending her, it doesn't sound that way. Still, I'm sure the police are quietly checking out the life insurance situation, etc.
Thankfully I'm not quite that jaded yet...lol

Old 12-17-2013, 07:25 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I bet if it was some black middle class couple who were shopping in downtown Newark when someone stole their 2010 Honda Civic and killed the husband,no coverage would have been given
Ok now who's pulling the race card? That would be just as horrific as what happened in Short Hills. I think the SL does a fairly accurate job of keeping tabs on the murders in Newark, happens almost ever day. Maybe no media frenzy because it does happen every day and people become immune to it

Unfortunately stolen cars that are recovered are usually recovered in Newark, East Orange, Irvington not in Alpine or Mendham or any number of the other towns....it is what it is and no amount of righteous indignation is going to change that fact...

Old 12-17-2013, 07:48 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
His wife was also there and unharmed, it's possible he was defending HER.

It is just so sad. I go to Short Hills Mall all the time, it's my favorite. It's hard to imagine this happening in such a place. I guess the thugs are branching out of Newark.
sure, that's possible...but i don't see how one gets to that conclusion. So, after the assailants shot him, they decided to not shoot her? that was the successful defense? C'mon - carjackings usually result in a car being stolen, the criminals rarely want to deal with a potential murder charge. when a gun is pointed at you, do the right thing and don't try to be a hero, it doesn't end well.

but yeah, crime like this (car jackings, not a murder), has been spilling over from Newark for ages. I'm amazed someone was brazen enough to do it in a mall parking garage though - that's a difficult escape route...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey