Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:58 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,246,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm5878 View Post
And let me guess the nationality of these carjackers, hmmmm!
Double censorship by the S-L:
"Enrique Lavin/The Star-Ledger ...
As the investigation continues and we're able to report on the facts, we'll publish them online and in print. We ask that you refrain from speculating on the ... the race of the suspects. For those who have asked: Our policy is to not describe the race of a suspect ... Commenting on our commenting policy is also out of bounds as it's off topic."
The race of the attackers is not a fact? Then why mention their gender? Doesn't that tar all males? Why identify the victim? Why report on the story at all?
Then, the hypocrisy continues, when readers are not allowed to comment on the policy! Those posts are deleted!
God forbid there's an arrest! Will the S-L identify the arrestee? Describe him? Publish a photo?
The only thing this policy does, is cause readers to speculate, and most will conclude that the robbers are black.
BTW, the car has reportedly been recovered ... in Newark:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/12/...-for-suspects/
in a lovely spot:
http://newarknj.patch.com/groups/pol...g-monday-night

Last edited by bigjake54; 12-16-2013 at 09:07 AM..

Old 12-16-2013, 09:29 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,763,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
car was recovered in Newark...
Why am I not suprised!!!
Poor guy and wife out holiday shopping..prayers for his family and friends.

Hope these perps are caught...fast

Old 12-16-2013, 10:03 AM

468 posts, read 427,503 times
What bothers me more about this is the lack of exposure that happens when these same incidents happen in crime ridden areas - as if those areas DESERVE that type of thing to happen and everyone just becomes desensitized to it.

This man lost his life and its EXTREMELY tragic. However, I look at this as a result of crime ridden areas "spilling over" into nicer areas. If you reduce the crime at the source, the spill doesn't happen so often. People won't have break-ins in places like Millburn. Instead you just reduce it down to a very small few.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:09 AM

267 posts, read 352,682 times
Glad the car was recovered maybe that will lead to some arrests

Old 12-16-2013, 10:40 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
how about...if someone is trying to steal your car with a gun, don't "defend" your car. i'm talking generally, as we still don't know what happened here. but if i end up reading that he faught back in any kind of way, it makes it more tragic, in my mind. it's a freaking car...
His wife was also there and unharmed, it's possible he was defending HER.

It is just so sad. I go to Short Hills Mall all the time, it's my favorite. It's hard to imagine this happening in such a place. I guess the thugs are branching out of Newark.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Double censorship by the S-L:
"Enrique Lavin/The Star-Ledger ...
As the investigation continues and we're able to report on the facts, we'll publish them online and in print. We ask that you refrain from speculating on the ... the race of the suspects. For those who have asked: Our policy is to not describe the race of a suspect ... Commenting on our commenting policy is also out of bounds as it's off topic."
The race of the attackers is not a fact? Then why mention their gender? Doesn't that tar all males? Why identify the victim? Why report on the story at all?
Then, the hypocrisy continues, when readers are not allowed to comment on the policy! Those posts are deleted!
God forbid there's an arrest! Will the S-L identify the arrestee? Describe him? Publish a photo?
The only thing this policy does, is cause readers to speculate, and most will conclude that the robbers are black.
BTW, the car has reportedly been recovered ... in Newark:
NJ Mall Carjacking Victim Identified; Range Rover Found In Newark « CBS New York
in a lovely spot:
One Dead, One Seriously Wounded in Bergen Street Shooting - Police & Fire - Newark, NJ Patch
Unbelievable. I read the DailyMail online (it's British) and they report a lot on US news. They never fail to report about any perp's race. It goes both ways, too, no matter how awful the crime or where it was committed: if the perp was black, they blatantly say it with an accompanying picture if available, if the perp's white, hispanic, Asian, whatever, same thing. Meanwhile, reading local or national US news you sometimes never find out the person's race or get an update. It's one thing I like about that website.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:47 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,876,327 times
we don't really know that he fought back, or do we? it could have gone wrong Even if he handed over the keys. terrible story.

i wouldn't fight over a car but i'd probably fight over being forced into a car.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:00 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,246,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
the DailyMail online ... report a lot on US news. They never fail to report about any perp's race. It goes both ways ... It's one thing I like about that website.
The DM posted online, a photo & name of the suspect (white male) who abducted and murdered a 9-year-old girl from a neighboring trailer in the midwest, long before I saw updates in any US media!

Old 12-16-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
we don't really know that he fought back, or do we? it could have gone wrong Even if he handed over the keys. terrible story.

i wouldn't fight over a car but i'd probably fight over being forced into a car.
No, we don't know that yet. But people were saying it's possible he was defending the car, and I said it's possible he was defending his wife. But no one knows for sure what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
The DM posted online, a photo & name of the suspect (white male) who abducted and murdered a 9-year-old girl from a neighboring trailer in the midwest, long before I saw updates in any US media!
Exactly! The DM has its faults but that is not one of them.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:12 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,763,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
His wife was also there and unharmed, it's possible he was defending HER.

It is just so sad. I go to Short Hills Mall all the time, it's my favorite. It's hard to imagine this happening in such a place. I guess the thugs are branching out of Newark.
Easy off and then easy on 24..all though usually it's just the thugs coming to short hills to shoplift
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey