Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:40 PM

116 posts, read 219,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
If it's more than a small risk, how do you explain how after going there my entire life, I have never had my car stolen there. Even more strange, I have never even known anyone who has had their car stolen there. And I know a lot of people.

So what is it? A moderate risk? A high risk?
I think statistics will differ with your answer.
Contact the Millburn police department and ask them.

I lived in Short Hills, did you?

Old 12-16-2013, 08:44 PM

18,483 posts, read 15,279,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucylinus View Post
Contact the Millburn police department and ask them.

I lived in Short Hills, did you?
Yes. But I don't see what that has to do with it.

You are saying that there if you park at the Short Hills Mall, there is at least a moderate chance of having your car stolen. If you take the total amount of cars that park there in a given year, and compare it to the amount of cars that get stolen there every year, the number is going to be minuscule. How many people do you personally know who have had their cars stolen there?

Old 12-16-2013, 08:50 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,667,962 times
Quote:
I tried to negotiate and he would not even talk to me.
Did you confuse the traffic stop with buying a car?

Quote:
Between the time I got the ticket and the court date, cops were constantly
following me wherever I was going.
Guess that's standard practice. so they must have thousands out there following everyone who ever got a summons. No wonder traffic is so bad.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:32 PM

31,947 posts, read 27,074,534 times
Just to point out the Range Rover was found in Newark, and that the gunmen were seen on camera walking around the SH garage for quite sometime before attacking this couple and killing the husband. Also LE is looking to see if there is a connection between this carjacking an other Range Rover taken by force from a man as he pulled into his driveway three hours before.

NJ Mall Carjacking Victim Identified; Range Rover Found In Newark « CBS New York

Old 12-16-2013, 09:47 PM

382 posts, read 805,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Maybe I watch the ID channel too much. This sounds suspicious. The lawyer's wife is IN the car, yet these two guys pop up, kill the guy, allow her to get out of the car alive, and just drive away without touching her. Sounds like a hit to me.
Doesn't sound to unreasonable.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:12 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,246,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the guy involved in this news story that was murdered wasn't killed in his home. I don't quite understand the logic of being able to defend myself in my home but not when im in public places. I don't think the life of myself, wife or daughter are any less worth protecting when we leave home.
I can't help you understand the obvious.
Your home is your castle. Blast anyone who breaks in, if you can. Just realize that, it's more likely that the weapons in your home will injure or kill those you love, than some random intruder.
NJ doesn't need 6 million people driving around with guns in their laps. We don't need you, or anyone else, claiming to have been in fear, as justification for shooting another driver who cut you off.
Quote:
once you include suicide, you have no credibility. I couldn't care less about suicides, that's a choice.
You're not the judge of my credibility. You can chose not to care now, but if your despondent teenager blew his brains out with your favorite revolver over being dumped by his girlfriend, you might care.
Quote:
if you put guns in 100 homes ... you didn't increase the danger for the normal smart good looking guy with the hot wife.
Psychobabble aside, the odds do increase, with a gun in the house, that the good-looking guy might shoot his hot wife, when he finds out that she hasn't been exclusive, or she might shoot him, then smack herself in the face & claim self-defense, when she decides to trade him in for a newer model.

Last edited by bigjake54; 12-16-2013 at 10:21 PM..

Old 12-16-2013, 11:20 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,013,781 times
Show me stats that cars are frequently stolen from the Short Hills Mall. I go there often, know a number of people who work there, and have friends/family who go there often and as of yet, not one of these people have had their cars stolen at Short Hills Mall. I have also never seen police activity (other than patrolling, I mean involving a crime) in the parking lot when I have been there.

Does it happen? I'm sure it does. Often? I'm sure it doesn't.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:38 AM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2good View Post
Dumb question. Please don't jump down my throat because this question is coming from a person that is going to grad school in Bodymore, Murderland and reads how the boards are critical about Plainfield and Newark places that I plan to live and work. I was only wondering why the couple did not use the valet service? I know of no mall having that service.
Again, I hope to be living in your state in the next year. I am a little/very nervous. I have never been on my own since undergrad when I lived in NC. I will take my father's advice, "If you don't pick with people you don't have to worry about them bothering you." I will bring my bible, cross and a lot of prayer.
Don't be silly. The reason this is news is because it happened in a normally safe area. A friend of mine lived in Manhattan most of his life, many years near Times Square. He moved to Charlotte, NC, after 9/11. Last year he was shot in the head and killed by two thugs one night while walking home from work. Should we be afraid to go to North Carolina?

Old 12-17-2013, 04:45 AM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
A news story like this really upsets me! It gets me thinking about buying a gun - something that I never even contemplated for the 53 years I lived in NJ. And I lived in Paterson to boot! (albeit in the "good section")!

Here in NC, where you can buy a gun (shotgun) at Wal-Mart, it is fairly easy to obtain a concealed-carry permit. You take a one-day class which costs about $200 and you are then licensed. A decent handgun costs in the range of $500 to $700. I have no idea what a Glock costs! It's funny, that by me, the Best Buy closed down and is now a Supermarket-sized gun store! Wonder if anything like this exists in NJ?

Here's my "MightyQueen Discovery ID Channel" Revenge Fantasy scenario - do you think I could get away with it?

I'm visiting my sister in NJ and "conveniently forget" that I have my gun in my pocket. We're done shopping at an un-named "upscale mall", in the parking garage and are accosted by two males of indeterminate race who want me to give them my car keys. (Of course, why they would want a 13 year-old Ford Focus wagon is beyond me!) While pretending to fumble for my keys, I manage to pull out my gun and get off two clean shots to their heads. They're dead. Now ...what to do?

Since I'm in NJ now, and am in possession of what would be an "illegal firearm" and wishing to avoid having to hire an expensive lawyer, I stuff the bodies in the trunk of my wagon (thank God, I bought a nice Weather Tech cargo liner for the blood!) and drive my sister home. On the way to her house, we decide to see my old house and drive through Totowa Boro down Riverview Dr. We also decide to dump the bodies in the Passaic River alongside of it, figuring they'll end up going over the Falls in a day or so! Problem solved! Hey, it worked on The Sopranos ...right?

I drive back to North Carolina the next day minus two bullets and wash my bloody Weather Tech cargo liner in my backyard. All is right with the world! Now, as a retired, former Walter Mitty Jersey Boy ...do I get away with it!

Star Trek Quote - "Revenge is a dish best served cold."
Very good! But I read that quote in a medieval historical novel years ago--supposedly an old Welsh saying. Good one, though.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:37 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,757,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Maybe I watch the ID channel too much. This sounds suspicious. The lawyer's wife is IN the car, yet these two guys pop up, kill the guy, allow her to get out of the car alive, and just drive away without touching her. Sounds like a hit to me.
Not much info coming out but just perhaps because his wife was already in the car he resisted a little and they shot him....hitmen don't car jack the car and usually don't carry the hit out around potential witnesses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey