Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 07:18 PM

36 posts, read 32,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdhock3y View Post
It's not feasible unless you plan on spending 4 hours a day commuting.

I wouldn't even include Denville in that. It's still a a 75 minute train ride from there, and that doesn't include getting to the station and subway or walk commute once in NYC. I'd say you have to at leat go to Morristown for an NYC commute that isn't completely soul crushing.
Yes. Commutes over 90 mins each way are brutal especially when they involve multiple modes of transportation. If you also happen to be the parent with primary care taking responsibility for your child, then long commutes are even worse.

On the other hand, if your job and field lend themselves to telecommuting at least twice a week and/or takes you to various locations for fieldwork in the general area where you live and you only need to check into the office once or twice a week, then a long commute can work for you. My late uncle had a successful career as a wholesale liquor salesman, and this set up worked for him back in the 1970s and 1980s. He was usually driving from one bar or restaurant to another in NJ, doing the paperwork from an in home office and then delivering his paperwork to the company office once a week.

I think this country needs to work toward making more jobs hybrid between reporting to an office and telecommute because we need to cut down on all the strangling traffic on the roads and trains, and workers can be more productive without the daily stress of commuting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey