Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2007, 06:37 AM

1 posts, read 4,337 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of moving into Flanders and now I hear they're going to do a tax reevaluation next year. The house already has taxes of $14,500!!! Does anyone know anything about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 07:12 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedsinger View Post
I was thinking of moving into Flanders and now I hear they're going to do a tax reevaluation next year. The house already has taxes of $14,500!!! Does anyone know anything about this?
doesn't surprise me - it's required by law every 10 years and they were just starting a revaluation when I moved out in 1997. doesn't necessarily mean your taxes will go up though - we just had this done in my town and 1/3 will stay the same, 1/3 will go up, 1/3 will go down.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:18 AM

311 posts, read 1,376,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
doesn't surprise me - it's required by law every 10 years and they were just starting a revaluation when I moved out in 1997. doesn't necessarily mean your taxes will go up though - we just had this done in my town and 1/3 will stay the same, 1/3 will go up, 1/3 will go down.
This is correct. Newton will be going through the same thing next year. One of the members of the town council told me that it is designed to even out the tax base so that taxes are consistent with the actual value of the property. Supposedly it would affect newer homes more.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan View Post
This is correct. Newton will be going through the same thing next year. One of the members of the town council told me that it is designed to even out the tax base so that taxes are consistent with the actual value of the property. Supposedly it would affect newer homes more.

That's funny because here they are saying it's the older homes who will most likely be hit hardest since their tax increases haven't kept up with values as opposed to newer construction which were valued correctly at the time the house was built. In my personal case, I'm paying thousands more per year than a like house with more land, but older. My house is 7 yrs old. I'll know the outcome in about 6mos - 1 year.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:23 AM

311 posts, read 1,376,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
That's funny because here they are saying it's the older homes who will most likely be hit hardest since their tax increases haven't kept up with values as opposed to newer construction which were valued correctly at the time the house was built. In my personal case, I'm paying thousands more per year than a like house with more land, but older. My house is 7 yrs old. I'll know the outcome in about 6mos - 1 year.
Interesting, perhaps I misunderstood. Good luck, hope you come out on the winning side!

Old 05-15-2007, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,281 times
Default Orange reval

Consider yourself lucky. I live in Orange and we just went through a tax revaluation ourselves....the first one in 42 years.
Property taxes doubled in some cases, making it even harder to sell the home and much of the older population is being forced to move or to foreclose.
The number of for sale signs literally popped up overnight, three on my block alone.
Incidentally, the town itself is going through a renaissance of sorts, although personally I believe its gentrification.
It doesn't hurt that there is a nearby train station that can get you into NYC in under 1/2 hour.
I just bought in so I think I'm going to stick around for a while to see how this thing goes. https://www.city-data.com:3000/forum/...ilies/cool.gif

Old 05-15-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City-Suburbanite View Post
Consider yourself lucky. I live in Orange and we just went through a tax revaluation ourselves....the first one in 42 years.
Property taxes doubled in some cases, making it even harder to sell the home and much of the older population is being forced to move or to foreclose.
The number of for sale signs literally popped up overnight, three on my block alone.
Incidentally, the town itself is going through a renaissance of sorts, although personally I believe its gentrification.
It doesn't hurt that there is a nearby train station that can get you into NYC in under 1/2 hour.
I just bought in so I think I'm going to stick around for a while to see how this thing goes. https://www.city-data.com:3000/forum/...ilies/cool.gif
Same thing happened in Nutley too - although not that extreme. My friend's went up 30-40%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey