Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 06:02 AM

122 posts, read 352,649 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband and children and I are going to be potentially moving to NJ to work in Mt. Olive.. We are looking for a nice, safe family friendly town or neighborhood near this area that has affordable housing. We are also hoping to be near parks/outdoorsy type stuff to do as we are huge nature lovers. Also would be nice to be near amenities like shopping and restaurants. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 06:16 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,711,145 times
you didn't include your housing requirements and budget

Old 08-10-2011, 06:33 AM

88,648 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennySzymanski View Post
Hello, my husband and children and I are going to be potentially moving to NJ to work in Mt. Olive.. We are looking for a nice, safe family friendly town or neighborhood near this area that has affordable housing. We are also hoping to be near parks/outdoorsy type stuff to do as we are huge nature lovers. Also would be nice to be near amenities like shopping and restaurants. Thanks so much!
I'd say you can be secure that the area you are talking about is pretty safe. Since you're aiming for a more rural (relatively speaking) part of NJ away from the city, you'll have easy access to state parks and whatnot, plus the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania are a hop, skip and a jump from there.

I don't think there are any places in NJ where you wouldn't be close enough to shopping and restaurants, so don't even worry about that part. As the other poster said, what are your housing requirements and budget?

Old 08-10-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'd say you can be secure that the area you are talking about is pretty safe. Since you're aiming for a more rural (relatively speaking) part of NJ away from the city, you'll have easy access to state parks and whatnot, plus the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania are a hop, skip and a jump from there.

I don't think there are any places in NJ where you wouldn't be close enough to shopping and restaurants, so don't even worry about that part. As the other poster said, what are your housing requirements and budget?
she's got safety and outdoorsy stuff in spades! the job is also located where I'm pretty sure they'll be able to find housing in their price range, since Mt. Olive is pretty far west in NJ (unless of course she wants something sub $100K, LOL).

Old 08-10-2011, 11:23 AM

122 posts, read 352,649 times
Thanks for all your suggestions!
Coming from DC we are hoping to not be "house rich/money poor" and are really wanting to get the best home for a good value (here in DC it is ridiculous what a modest home will cost) Ideally house budget 300K-500K (the cheaper the better).

Old 08-10-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Coming from DC we are hoping to not be "house rich/money poor" and are really wanting to get the best home for a good value (here in DC it is ridiculous what a modest home will cost) Ideally house budget 300K-500K (the cheaper the better).
Well, you are moving to one of the most expensive states in the country where it's also pretty ridiculous what a modest home will cost, but fortunately, you are looking far enough outside the NYC metro area that you have a good chance of finding what you seek.

Now if your email also said, "...with a 45-minute commute to mid-town Manhattan", we'd be banging our heads again our desks!

Happy house hunting and welcome to New Jersey!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
you're in a pretty good position. housing prices will be better, but taxes will be higher so be prepared for that. You can get something VERY nice in the $400K range. You can look at Mt. Olive, Washington Township (Long Valley), something smaller in Chester, Succasunna(Roxbury).

If you look at a map, generally housing will cost less the further West you go. You will also be in a more rural area.

Chester is the most "prestigious" of the areas I mentioned and you will get the least house for the money. Schools are very very good. Commute will be, depending on where in Chester - anywhere from 5-15 minutes.

You could get something *in* Mount Olive but my biggest beef with MO (and I lived there 6 years) is the taxes are very high for the schools you get. The schools are not DC-proper schools, for sure, but you're paying big coin for mediocre schools *for the area*.

Roxbury Township is nice too (remember, all towns around this area are nice), and I think the taxes are somewhat better than MO, and the schools are better.

Washington Township (Long Valley) you can get much more house and schools are very very good (they share a HS district with Chester and Mendham). Again, depending on where in WT, your commute will be 5-20 minutes.

Heading further west you're in Warren County - Hackettstown is older, well established homes - schools are not as highly ranked as Morris County. Mansfield Township (next to Hackettstown) to me suffers from the same "tax issue" as MO - high taxes, fair schools.

I'm in Washington Twsp and I of course have a bias . I rarely recommend it here because it is "out there", but near all the shopping you'd probably need. Very beautiful town with plenty of nature - trails, farms, views! It's just a tough place to commute from but working in MO that's a non issue so I'd strongly recommend looking here. Taxes are high no doubt, but the schools are very highly ranked. People are awesome. I've been here almost 14 years and don't regret it.

Anymore questions feel free to ask!

chester zip (for real estate searching) - 07930
MO - 07828 (Budd Lake), 07836 (FLanders)
Long Valley - several, but you'll get most if you search 07853 or the town
Succasunna - 07876
Hackettstown/Mansfield - 07840 (primarily)

Old 08-10-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
you're in a pretty good position. housing prices will be better, but taxes will be higher so be prepared for that. You can get something VERY nice in the $400K range. You can look at Mt. Olive, Washington Township (Long Valley), something smaller in Chester, Succasunna(Roxbury).

If you look at a map, generally housing will cost less the further West you go. You will also be in a more rural area.

Chester is the most "prestigious" of the areas I mentioned and you will get the least house for the money. Schools are very very good. Commute will be, depending on where in Chester - anywhere from 5-15 minutes.

You could get something *in* Mount Olive but my biggest beef with MO (and I lived there 6 years) is the taxes are very high for the schools you get. The schools are not DC-proper schools, for sure, but you're paying big coin for mediocre schools *for the area*.

Roxbury Township is nice too (remember, all towns around this area are nice), and I think the taxes are somewhat better than MO, and the schools are better.

Washington Township (Long Valley) you can get much more house and schools are very very good (they share a HS district with Chester and Mendham). Again, depending on where in WT, your commute will be 5-20 minutes.

Heading further west you're in Warren County - Hackettstown is older, well established homes - schools are not as highly ranked as Morris County. Mansfield Township (next to Hackettstown) to me suffers from the same "tax issue" as MO - high taxes, fair schools.

I'm in Washington Twsp and I of course have a bias . I rarely recommend it here because it is "out there", but near all the shopping you'd probably need. Very beautiful town with plenty of nature - trails, farms, views! It's just a tough place to commute from but working in MO that's a non issue so I'd strongly recommend looking here. Taxes are high no doubt, but the schools are very highly ranked. People are awesome. I've been here almost 14 years and don't regret it.

Anymore questions feel free to ask!

chester zip (for real estate searching) - 07930
MO - 07828 (Budd Lake), 07836 (FLanders)
Long Valley - several, but you'll get most if you search 07853 or the town
Succasunna - 07876
Hackettstown/Mansfield - 07840 (primarily)
Gee, tahiti, now I wanna move out there, too!

Old 08-10-2011, 04:21 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,954,938 times
Quote:
anywhere the morristown train stops. As infrequent as the service is if ur a commuter then the train is still good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey