Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:49 AM

3 posts, read 15,341 times

Advertisements

My family is moving from Puerto Rico to The Tristate. We used to live in Brooklyn and in Jersey, and are moving back. We can't afford more than 2000p/m rent. We have 2 kids and 2 dogs so we need space. Like 3-4 bedrooms and backyard if possible. We are considering Newark because I used to live near there and have gone there for various events. Mostly though, we will be comuting Everyday to NYC so we need to be very close (less than 10 min walk) to the Path. Can anyone who really knows Newark well, (not interested in comments aimed at bashing Newark in it's entirety) recomend nice areas to focus our search for a home. We would ideally like to be near a park and rent either a big apartment or townhouse. We don't want to be in an area of high drug traffic hot zone. Please serious answers only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 08:28 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
North Ward would suite you best , and East Ward.....the 2 safest wards.... The North Ward has a small to Medium PR community and Dominican , along with Italians , its low to middle class families. The East ward is closet to the PATH , the North Ward has a light Rail line that connects to the PATH.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:55 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,503 times
Your budget isn't that low, you could afford other towns, maybe Bogota? Loads of buses to NYC. Not sure if you are set on Newark for other reasons.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:22 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
If you've been to Newark you'd know there are no areas within a 10 minute walk to Penn Station that fit your criteria. Forest Hill is Hispanic/middle class, but you have to take a bus light rail or bus to transfer to the train to NYC.

If you need to be close to NYC so much why not choose quiet areas of Westchester County? Yonkers and Mt Vernon are cheaper compared to the rest of the county and have quiet areas within short distance to Metro North, which is more reliable.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:29 AM

360 posts, read 1,019,264 times
I think parts of the Ironbound are a doable walk to Penn Station (which is where the path is.)

You could live other places off the light rail (ie Forest Hill) but NJ Transit doesn't run all night and if you plan to be routinely coming in late from the city then you're looking at either walking (inadvisable to say the least) or taking a cab home (which could get very expensive.)

Will you be commuting for the day shift and expect to be home by evening in most cases? Do you/will you have a car? If the answer to both of these is yes, then you really don't need to tie yourself to the PATH/Newark.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:57 AM

3 posts, read 15,341 times
Thanks for all the comments these are really helpful. I would comuting to and from NYC around 4-5 pm and coming back between 10:30 to 11:30 at night so I would need reliable evening transportation and a close walk from home to the path or light rail if possible. Do you know what time the light rail stops running or becomes unreliable? I am interested in being on the path line because I know it's 24/7.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:23 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
The Light Rail runs form 4am - 1.30am...

Old 03-28-2011, 11:47 AM

360 posts, read 1,019,264 times
That time MIGHT also be okay with NJTransit trains during the week. I think the latest train out most weeknights is around 1:30 am (but it depends on the line.) If so, it gives you a few more options outside of Newark. If you can find something near station you can walk to (or if you have a car and can park at a station) that'll provide a few more options.

You can possibly look into Harrison as well for the path. Hoboken and probably most of Jersey City will be out of your price range but Harrison MIGHT have something if you look hard enough and are in the right place at the right time.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:12 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
most of Jersey City will be out of your price range but Harrison MIGHT have something if you look hard enough and are in the right place at the right time.
That's not true. Aside from Downtown JC and a few nicer blocks in the Heights , JC,Harrison and much of Newark are almost identical as far as rents go. I would strongly agree looking in Harrison though as it is the safest out of the previous mentioned. But if you have your sights set on Newark check out north Newark. It isn't the safest place around but pretty safe by Newark standards.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:57 PM

303 posts, read 752,432 times
I would suggest Forrest Hill or Ironbound sections for Newark. Anything outside those sections would be hard for you to get around using PT. The Heights in JC may be a good location for you but im not sure if you would consider that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey