Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 09:40 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,911,396 times

Advertisements

Found a development that we like in Hackettstown(sp?)...I already know that it won the award for best places...but really we just found some homes that we like there.

Questions:

1. Is it commutable to Leonia? IF you left at 730 am...how long do you think the commute would be. I know in snow or accidents the commute is longer..but roughly.

2. School systems...any thoughts and input would help.

3. Is there major shopping (CVS, Targets, Michaels, the shopping malls and hosptals) nearby within a 10 minute commute? If not how long does that take.

4. What are the taxes like out there?

5. Is it considered the "boonies"..or is it a nice place to raise a family?

We are debating between this and rockland, but the pricing seems better out there.

Another area we are thinking of is Mount Olive.

Any thoughts or inputs would help...I am waiting for the warm weather to go on scouting missions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 10:29 AM

163 posts, read 431,868 times
Default My opinion

I work in Hackettstown and live about 30 miles east, in Morristown. I've lived in Morris County, in the Morristown area, for most of my life, and am in my 30s. I say this so you know where I'm coming from when I tell you that I personally would never live in Hackettstown...but it all depends on what's important to you and what you're looking for.

I find Hackettstown to be too far out in the boonies for what I want: proximity to the city (from Hackettstown, it's 60 miles away, which is too far for convenience), a reasonable commute to the shore, the ability to quickly jump on routes 10, 80, 287, 78, 24 and get anywhere quickly, and a choice of good restaurants and social activities. In my opinion, you don't get that in Hackettstown.

It has a downtown, which is good, until you realize it's pretty dilapidated. Yes, there are a lot of new strip malls, so you'd have drugstores and Wal-Mart and that kind of thing nearby. It's certainly become more developed in that way in the past several years, and that kind of development doesn't seem to be slowing down. Most people tend to move out there because it's cheaper than being further east, or because they work at M&M/Mars and want to be near to work. The closest mall is Rockaway, which is about 20 minutes away.

I've always heard that the schools aren't that good out there--the lower grades are fine, but not so much on the high school--but you'd obviously need to get more information on that. I have several coworkers who live in Independence (next town over, and supposedly "better" than Hackettstown) who have kids in the elementary and junior schools and seem satisfied with their education--but are thinking about what to do about high school when the time comes.

As far as your commute goes: that will be a hell commute. Route 80 going east in the morning from Mount Olive (on some days--other days it doesn't back up for a few more miles) to 287 is a PARKING LOT. Obviously, I do a reverse commute, so as I'm flying west towards Hackettstown, I look at the poor souls on the other side of the highway and wonder how the hell they do it. And, honestly, once you get past 287, there's still the potential for the traffic to back up as it heads toward the city. I worked in the city for several years and in Teaneck and Secaucus for many more, so the commute east is familiar to me. I would think you should plan for that commute to take at least 1.5 hours on most days--it is about 60 miles away.

Again, I'm biased because I live in a much more developed area and I'm not a big fan of Hackettstown. Most people do consider it to be a bit out in the sticks...but that's what some people like. And, it looks nice in the fall when the leaves are turning color. But for a commute to Leonia, I'm telling you, do the easier thing and just get a job at Mars. LOL.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Old 04-08-2007, 10:37 AM

Okay this is really helpful, because when you Mapquest it, it can be deceiving.

We want to SHORTEN the commute to leonia from Dutchess County, NY and NOT add to it.

But Bergen is not in our price range (no surprise there)...and we want the same things...

close to the city, proximity to services....I rather like morris county too, we have driven by floram park, parsippany, dover, boonton, morristown....it seems like those are the desirable areas.

On another post they say there alot of asian indians in morris county...but that doesnt bug me...nor is that a determining factor in where we move.

We want something nice for the kids. Close to parks, and lots of companies (when I go back to work)...Our oldest is in the first grade, so good schools are important too.

But we want shorten our commute to 45 min to an hour..TOPS, versus the 70 mile commute that we have now.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:15 AM

163 posts, read 431,868 times
Default Maybe consider Hanover Township (Whippany/Cedar Knolls)

I grew up in Cedar Knolls, which is right next to Morristown. It's by no means cheap, I'll warn you, but again, it depends on what you're looking for. My parents built their house in a new development in 1981 and sold it in 2003 for somewhere in the 680K range (I can't remember now). It was a four-bedroom, 2.5 bath colonial on a cul-de-sac, nice lot. I don't know what they're going for up there now, probably in the 700s.

But there are smaller houses, too, that cost less, in the 400s and 500s. The taxes are really very reasonable, and the schools are good. I'm a product of the junior high and high school (Whippany Park High School) and I've done pretty well :-).

It's a family-oriented town; there's no "downtown," per se, but there are good township athletic programs, parks, and events. Ethnically, it's mostly white, but there's a good deal of Asian and Indian as well as some black families. If you're looking for a ton of diversity, it's probably not the place for you; when I graduated in 1987, I think there were about five black kids in my high school, which had about 650 kids in it. It's probably changed in the last 20 years to some degree, but I don't know how much. I don't have kids, so I don't hear much about the school system now.

As a kid, it with the typical teen angst, we all said we were getting out and never coming back--there are families who have been here forever, everyone knows everyone else's business--but a surprising number of us moved right on back to the area after college.

I'm biased, because I grew up there since sixth grade, but I had a damned good childhood, so that's not a bad thing.

Morris Plains is also very nice, as are Madison, Randolph, and Chatham. And, the commute from Morris County to Leonia would be closer to a 30- to 45-minute commute, depending on exactly where you were living.

Also: lots of industry in the area...Honeywell, Verizon, Bell Labs, Novartis, Kraft, Avaya--and that's just off the top of my head.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:22 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,196,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Found a development that we like in Hackettstown(sp?)...I already know that it won the award for best places...but really we just found some homes that we like there.

Questions:

1. Is it commutable to Leonia? IF you left at 730 am...how long do you think the commute would be. I know in snow or accidents the commute is longer..but roughly.

3. Is there major shopping (CVS, Targets, Michaels, the shopping malls and hosptals) nearby within a 10 minute commute? If not how long does that take.

We are debating between this and rockland, but the pricing seems better out there.

Any thoughts or inputs would help...I am waiting for the warm weather to go on scouting missions!
I used to live there, now Im 2 towns over.
A commute to Leonia, An hour and a half in rush hour maybe more. And 7:30 is prime rush hour
School systems are ok, spanish population is growing hand over foot and the HS is extremely small!
Shopping is building up but a trip to the Ledgewood Mall or Rockaway is a must for x-mas shopping.
Taxes are out of control! You think because you live a little bit in the sticks thats taxes would be cheaper. NOPE! Its crazy taxes here!
Mount Olive would be a better choice if you have kids.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:46 PM

OKay...looks like we are going to put morris county back on the top of our list..and compare is side by side with rockland.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:43 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,731,117 times
Quote:
OKay...looks like we are going to put morris county back on the top of our list..and compare is side by side with rockland.

I lived in Mt. Olive for 7 yrs, and moved out b/c of schools. close to the bottom of the barrel for morris county. and i agree with the others, commute from h'town to leonia on 80 at 7:30 is just *H*E*L*L* (if you could leave at 6:00 it would be OK - not great, but OK). i'd stick to morris cnty further east - depending on your budget - denville, parsippany, morristown, etc......

Old 04-15-2007, 05:32 PM

432 posts, read 1,880,771 times
Actually, I think hackettstown is pretty nice, as a place to visit. There are some really nice homes there. But I live in bergen, and a commute from there to Leonia on a daily basis on Rt 80 would be horrendous.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:32 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,689,659 times
Quote:

Questions:

I'd check your commute time first thing......maybe staying that way and trying it out. That seems to be your main issue, and it should be.
Hackettstown is a wonderful town. Every store is well rented and not barely a one that is vacant. There is a gorgeous Davids Country Inn to have a great dinner at. A Charlie Browns, and a really nice Italian Restaurant over on the way to Walmart. The town has antique shops, furniture shops,party stores, and all the little interesting stores that make for a charming town.
Lets say, it use to be the boonies, but it is not now.
There is a short cut over to the Trade Center and across from there is a mountian of brand name stores. Including a Sams Club, Pier One, Linen and things, Target........Close to you, in another directionwould be a Kohls, Walmart, and Lowes plus Home Depot amongst others. Also on route 46 is a Home Goods store ( which I have to add as it is one of my favorites)
There are fast foods in Hackettstown, some good pizza, and a wonderful Movie theater. Plenty of pharmacies.......CVS and others.
There are a couple of good parks Stephens State Park and one heading out towards Long Valley.
Schools..........that issue comes up so often. Not many places have top notch schools. Unless your in Far Hills or perhaps Mountain Lakes.
The schools are ok, about the same as many others. I have more belief in my child.........that he or she will work hard to become what they wish to be.
I have seen some children from very high ranking schools, do little in their adult lives.
Mt. Olive is not all that far from Hackettstown. They have no downtown......but the area is fine. It won't bring your time down much on the commute most likely 10 min. or so......Our daughter lives in Hackettstown. She felt is was far for just a bit.......but now she is use to it.
She loves the town. Her husband was based in Boonton, and she drove to East Hanover. Happy Hunting......

Old 08-01-2007, 10:55 AM

Thank you summerling....I dont think its going to be on our horizon after the replies and the traffic that you have to deal with on 80. I commend those that can make the trip from their or even from the poconos..but we are choosing to focus our sights on bergen/rockland and mayyyyybbee orange counties in NY.

Darn Traffic!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey