Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 03:20 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,636,088 times

Advertisements

[quote=Marc Paolella;25149276]There is an art and methodology to speeding safely and not getting caught. But I don't teach the techniques to anyone under 30. In the wrong hands, they are dangerous.

quote]

Stop this silliness. I used to "speed" when I was under 30 (not difficult to do when the max speed limit is only 55) and the world did not come to an end. Are you you aware you can now legally and safely drive 85mph in Texas? Yes, that is 30mph faster ON THE VERY SAME ROADS WHERE THE SPEED LIMIT USED TO BE 55mph. Why is 85mph now safe when it used to be dangerous? By the way, the max speed limit in New Jersey used to be 70, so driving faster than 65 is not dangerous.

Step 1 - ask for an informal hearing hoping the cop does not show up. The ticket will be dismissed if the cop fails to appear.
Step 2 - If the cop does show up for court in Step 1 and you are found guilty, request a formal trial. Again, this gives the cop another chance to not show up.
Step 3 - If the cop shows up for the formal hearing, ask to have your ticket changed to a non-moving violation.
Step 4 - buy a radar detector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 03:41 PM

5 posts, read 14,993 times
[quote=ram2;25170288]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
There is an art and methodology to speeding safely and not getting caught. But I don't teach the techniques to anyone under 30. In the wrong hands, they are dangerous.

quote]

Stop this silliness. I used to "speed" when I was under 30 (not difficult to do when the max speed limit is only 55) and the world did not come to an end. Are you you aware you can now legally and safely drive 85mph in Texas? Yes, that is 30mph faster ON THE VERY SAME ROADS WHERE THE SPEED LIMIT USED TO BE 55mph. Why is 85mph now safe when it used to be dangerous? By the way, the max speed limit in New Jersey used to be 70, so driving faster than 65 is not dangerous.

Step 1 - ask for an informal hearing hoping the cop does not show up. The ticket will be dismissed if the cop fails to appear.
Step 2 - If the cop does show up for court in Step 1 and you are found guilty, request a formal trial. Again, this gives the cop another chance to not show up.
Step 3 - If the cop shows up for the formal hearing, ask to have your ticket changed to a non-moving violation.
Step 4 - buy a radar detector.
Lol your afunny dude.. whats a non moving violation

Old 07-14-2012, 04:41 PM

[quote=msheikh1;25170506]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post

Lol your afunny dude.. whats a non moving violation

Burned out light bulb
Expired plate
Windows with too much tint
etc...

Old 07-14-2012, 05:26 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,669,406 times
Quote:
There is no such thing in NJ as a "informal trial". All court proceedings must be on the record except for attorney reviews. Even they are limited. You might want to check the court rules for the procedures followed in municipal courts.

Quote:
and you are found guilty, request a formal trial.
No, after that it's called an appeal. Get out your checkbook they run some serious money.

Yes because there are many Prosecutors that will amend a 39:4-98 to a tinted window violation not to mentuion a judge who would accept that ammendment. The Assignment Judge would have a field day on them.

Quote:
By the way, the max speed limit in New Jersey used to be 70
When? I started driving in 1969 and never remember a speed limit over 65 and most of the state was 55. If it was that far back then it's immaterial and laughable as far as a comparison.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
There is no such thing in NJ as a "informal trial". All court proceedings must be on the record except for attorney reviews. Even they are limited. You might want to check the court rules for the procedures followed in municipal courts.

No, after that it's called an appeal. Get out your checkbook they run some serious money.

Yes because there are many Prosecutors that will amend a 39:4-98 to a tinted window violation not to mentuion a judge who would accept that ammendment. The Assignment Judge would have a field day on them.

When? I started driving in 1969 and never remember a speed limit over 65 and most of the state was 55. If it was that far back then it's immaterial and laughable as far as a comparison.

An informal hearing is in front of a magistrate.

A formal hearing is in front of a judge.

All court proceedings are always on the record as it is public information.

The speed limit in NJ was 70mph prior to 1974 (pre-55), as it was in Delaware, Maryland, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, etc prior to 1974.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:20 PM

88,680 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:

All court proceedings are always on the record as it is public information.

The speed limit in NJ was 70mph prior to 1974 (pre-55), as it was in Delaware, Maryland, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, etc prior to 1974.
Even I remember that, and I didn't start driving until 1975. We went to Florida by car when I was 14, and it was 70 mph all the way down I-95. Nixon pushed the 55 rule.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:57 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,609,714 times
Quote:

I have never heard of any hearings before a magistrate in NJ. There is a methodology to the municipal court system basically set up to collect your money without the cop showing up most of the time anyway.

Decades ago they would have you show up in court the day the cop was scheduled to be there but now that doesn't happen unless you request a trial.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:01 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,669,406 times
Quote:
We went to Florida by car when I was 14, and it was 70 mph all the way down I-95. Nixon pushed the 55 rule.
We are speaking of NJ. Speed limits down south were over 70 ass I lived in Florida when in college.
Quote:
it was 70 mph all the way down I-95
Not all the way and in fact I-95 didn't go all the way down in the early to mid 70's. It stopped half way through NC and traffic was forced to take 301 which was significantly slower.

Might very well have been 70 in 1970. That's of no concern in a court case based on a violation TODAY based on today's standards and conditions.. It has no bearing on the violation and common sense would tell you that the area has changed. Traffic has increased significantly.

While my early driving experience was in northern NJ, the speed limit have never been higher than 65 and for many years 55. The NJ TP has never had a limit higher than 65 in it's entire history. Same for the GSP.

Quote:

These procedures do not exist in the NJ Municipal Court System.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:14 AM

19,149 posts, read 25,385,104 times
Quote:
We are speaking of NJ. Speed limits down south were over 70 ass I lived in Florida when in college.

Not all the way and in fact I-95 didn't go all the way down in the early to mid 70's. It stopped half way through NC and traffic was forced to take 301 which was significantly slower.

Might very well have been 70 in 1970. That's of no concern in a court case based on a violation TODAY based on today's standards and conditions.. It has no bearing on the violation and common sense would tell you that the area has changed. Traffic has increased significantly.

While my early driving experience was in northern NJ, the speed limit have never been higher than 65 and for many years 55. The NJTP has never had a limit higher than 65 in it's entire history. Same for the GSP.

+1

I can second the facts regarding the state of I-95 at that point in time.
There was a huge gap in the Carolinas, and--IIRC--it was "spotty" in Georgia in the early-mid '70s.

When I drove to Florida in that era, I can recall being on I-95 for some fairly short stretches in Georgia, and having to drive on much slower, much older, and much narrower highways for other stretches. It wasn't until some years later than I-95 was completed--with no gaps--all the way from NJ to Florida.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:17 AM

88,680 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Um, yeah, I was speaking of NJ, since that's where the trip started. My point was that the 70 mph speed limit wasn't a NJ thing--it was on the federal highways.

I'll take your word for it that 55 was the state highway limit, though.

Quote:
I don't remember that, but I was 14, so not doing any of the driving. It had to be 1973, because we went in February and I would have turned 14 the previous August. As you point out below, the NJ Turnpike would have been only 65, though. Don't recall if we took the Turnpike, but probably.

I just remember the 70 mph because I was amazed that we were allowed to go so fast, lol. Then a few years later the 55 mph rule came in just before I was old enough to get my license.

Quote:

While my early driving experience was in northern NJ, the speed limit have never been higher than 65 and for many years 55. The NJ TP has never had a limit higher than 65 in it's entire history. Same for the GSP.

These procedures do not exist in the NJ Municipal Court System.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-15-2012 at 10:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey