Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 07:22 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,878,774 times

Advertisements

Verbally attacked. Its been all over 101.5. I should have elaborated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 07:37 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,079,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I'm shocked that with a ton of whining libs commenting on this thread that we haven't had the obligatory reply of "I'm moving to Canada" yet.
After Justice Roberts upheld Romney-care, a bunch of Cons were on twitter saying they were moving to Canada...which has single payer govt. HC. Reminded me of this Tea Partyer:

Click image for larger version

Name:	keep gov. out of my medicare.jpg
Views:	896
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	98352

Old 07-11-2012, 08:45 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,665,095 times
Quote:
a bunch of Cons were on twitter saying they were moving to Canada
Then they really must be concerned as Romney was the first to put it in place in his home state.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:35 AM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
Verbally attacked. Its been all over 101.5. I should have elaborated.
NJ 101.5?
The same radio station that was the biggest factor in delivering support for Christie Todd Whitman, the governor whose wretched fiscal policies accelerated the downward spiral of the state's finances?
The same radio station whose on-air sesssions with our current governor are more like love-fests than attempts at asking the hard questions?

When that same information is reported by a media outlet with more credibility, then I will take it seriously.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
NJ 101.5?
The same radio station that was the biggest factor in delivering support for Christie Todd Whitman, the governor whose wretched fiscal policies accelerated the downward spiral of the state's finances?
The same radio station whose on-air sesssions with our current governor are more like love-fests than attempts at asking the hard questions?

When that same information is reported by a media outlet with more credibility, then I will take it seriously.

Tell someone at that half-assed station to turn off the echo chamber. A poor con's WABC.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:29 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,665,095 times
Quote:
TMZ reported that the incident occurred after a passer-by yelled out a criticism of the governor’s education policy.

An aide to the governor, who would not be quoted by name, said on Friday afternoon that Mr. Christie was with his children at the time of the incident, and that the shouting person had been using profanity.
Amazing that NO ONE other than his aide saw it as an attack on his kids.

Even the aide stated" he used profanity". Is our Governor that clueless to think one can walk on the Seaside Park boardwalk and not hear profanity? At no time is it stated it was directed at his family unless the fact they were there counts.

Maybe as a "lawyer" he would have released that speech of that nature is considered protected under the First Amendment. Did he not take offense at any other comments considered "obscene" while he was there or was this the only comment of that nature uttered on the entire boardwalk.

So he's either clueless as to what happens in his own state (maybe he should spend more time here) or as I believe most of these responses are set up to gain even more notoriety as the "tough guy" from NJ. I hope he never goes to a sporting event as he would have to take on a good percentage of the fans.

I have to wonder if he's so concerned about his kids, why take them on an obvious photo op event? I'd also wonder what kind of impression these kids are getting when dad is continually coming out with these hostile responses. No doubt the kids will grow up thinking being a bully is quite all right.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:21 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
The problem I have with these kinds of things is that what we end up seeing in videos and on TV is the cropped and edited version of what happened. Is Christie's response as bad if the guy was trailing him down the boardwalk screaming at him in front of his kids and dropping f-bombs every other word? His security detail isn't going to do anything but keep the person from getting physical, as was said it is the persons right to say those things. This is similar to the town hall thing with the Navy SEAL, all we saw was Christie mock the guy, but we never saw everything that happened before that led to the exchange that made it on YouTube. Overall, I would much rather discuss policies and initiatives then things that basically amount to gossip. When we are relying on TMZ to supply us with information, what are we really talking about?

With all of that said, Christie really needs to take sometime for introspection. I tend to think he does these things for one of two reasons:

1. It is all about the show and getting the soundclip and tough guy image. This schtick worked when it came across as natural and he was openly challenging people on his policies. His back and forth with the teachers union and the many clips that came out of that, were more natural and factual based "beat downs". The last couple of incidents seemed forced and staged. He sensed he could do it and went for it.

2. He really has a problem controlling his temper. I somehow doubt that is the case, because one would assume being an attorney at the level he was at requires a certain amount of restraint from going off the handle.

While I really think it is the first and not the second, he needs to get it under control and realize it isn't working anymore. If he has the opportunity for an intelligent "beat down" then go for it, but don't try and force it and calling people "stupid" just makes you sound stupid and he needs to hold himself to a higher standard in that regard. The incident on the boardwalk totally belies the "tough guy" image if that is what he was going for. No one in their right mind could look at a man of his 'stature' wearing slacks and a dress shirt eating an ice cream cone and actually think he represents a threat or is "tough". He really just came off like a clown who lost his temper. It was sad and comical and that is a poor image for the governor to be portraying, especially because I believe it was done purposefully to capture one of "those moments".

While I agree in general with many of Christie's policies and have somewhat defended his behavior in the past, I believe he needs to get it under control in this respect. The schtick is getting old and he is just left looking like a joke. That is not positive for NJ or any future political ambition he would have. He also has to realize (and I would hope is advisers would point out to him) that these kinds of incidents are the things that stick in the minds of the electorate. Look at this board; we have 10+ pages discussing this incident, but generally have no more then a handful of pages when it comes to discussing actual policies and most of those pages are full of people reminding us about these kinds of incidents. When the election comes around, I guarantee you will see dozens of ads of Christie at his worst berating people. When he was doing it within the frame of defending his policies, it worked, outside of that he looks like an idiot.

Someone needs to tell him, when a reporter keeps asking a question you don't want to answer, ignore them. When someone on the boardwalk yells at you, keep walking and remind your kids that it comes with the territory and that the man was obviously very passionate about his beliefs. If Christie wants any chance at higher office he very much needs to "rise above".

Old 07-12-2012, 03:28 PM

402 posts, read 752,554 times
I don't think he should should seek higher office. I think the national media would kill him. Can you imagine a Saturday night live skit about him? I personally like him and that's a lot coming from a public employee.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:54 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,765,342 times
All the Gov. did was say keep walking. I think he was just pointing out to the loudmouth that he was acting like a bigshot by yelling at the Governor for no reason other than the fact that he saw him there. He really had no business saying anything negative, cussing or derogatory to him when he was simply walking with is Family. Granted most Governors would not have reacted but this time this one was blindsided. Jeez can't he even take a stroll on the boardwalk with his children?

I know he's rude and has no tact which I like many other don't consider to be 'no nonsense' but he should be able to walk with his children without being harassed by some idiot trying to look like a bigshot.

On another note I just don't get why people think he did anything about the overpaid teachers/administrators. I'm not saying all are overpaid but I have seen some insane high salaries in the newspaper in the past. It just depends on the County they work in. He knew coming in he couldn't do anything about their salaries or he should have. He also knew screaming and shouting about them and making such a big hoopha would get him attention, a name and a reputation. It worked for other Governors in the past and they all found out they couldn't do a damn thing. Charter Schools are not a new idea and have been growing, slowly, but still growing in popularity. It was reported on the John Stossel show how well they are working out, for now. I don't see public Schools going away anytime soon for everyone because not everyone can afford to pay so who pays for the charter School for the lower income? He can't stop the sick time buyouts or cut the 40 hour work weeks for Government jobs unless he gets approval from the President of the United States. I think that's who has to change it b/c the Governor doens't have the power to. Until this is done expect to keep seeing tax increases and the State, Counties going eventually going broke.

Last edited by Lolipopbubbles; 07-12-2012 at 04:03 PM..

Old 07-12-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post
Charter Schools are not a new idea and have been growing, slowly, but still growing in popularity. It was reported on the John Stossel show how well they are working out, for now
They actually have very mixed results and do not have to take special education children. There also has been less govt. review of these charter schools so far. John Stossel is not a neutral observer working for "everything the private sector does is better" Fox News.

And we've had "charter" schools for centuries. They're called private schools and they're funded with private money. If you want to send your kids to one, go right ahead. Don't expect me to foot the bill for your "special language" or "performing arts" school. There's a Hebrew-language charter school in East Brunswick (a very good school district) that even most Jews in East Brunswick said was created so people didn't have to send their little snowflakes to an expensive Yeshiva to learn how to speak Hebrew. How does this asinine charter school improve education in the district?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey