Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 02:00 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times

Advertisements

This guy seems to be throwing horses over cliffs and he's not taking names.

Gov. Chris Christie warns N.J. districts school aid could be cut 15 percent in next budget | New Jersey Real-Time News - - NJ.com

Taking surpluses from districts that have built it up?

N.J. affordable after-school centers are threatened by Gov. Christie's budget cuts | New Jersey Real-Time News - - NJ.com

Cutting back after-school programs that are subsidized by the state. This one I agree with completely. You want something: pay for it yourself. The state is broke.

NJ Transit union leader warns of fare hikes of up to 30 percent, service cuts, employee furloughs | New Jersey Real-Time News - - NJ.com

Cutting back on employees in NJ Transit, and calling the agency a 'political patronage pit'. The union seems to be crapping its collective pants.

Blind 13 year old tells N.J. Assembly panel about impact of Gov. Chris Christie's budget cuts | New Jersey Real-Time News - - NJ.com

This one to me is an example of yellow journalism. The journalist clearly uses the pathos of the situation to confer sympathy to the child featured in this article.

However, these problems are all part of the greater picture that has drawn New Jersey into a 22 billion dollar hole. I hate to sound cold-hearted when it comes to the Fiorentino family, but WHY should the state have to pay for their son's equipment that enables him to read? What about the notion of the parents or the family paying for it? It seems as though a lot of the current crisises that we are feeling on a statewide level as well as nationally come down to this simple notion. If someone really needs the assistance for this child to read, I am sympathetic to that, however, it seems that most of these programs turn into long term necessities after a while. State provided child care is not a right. Yet, if you read the article, you hear nothing except for woe about 'what are we going to do now?'.

I viewed the election of Christie as a cry from NJ citizens that they've had enough of excessive taxation. However, when these actions are put into motion, the cries of objection become magnified. Therefore, I have to conclude that many of these people want something for free. They want the services, but they don't want their taxes raised to pay for them, in many cases. Along comes a governor that is attempting to reduce the cost of government, but it comes upon immediate resistance by the opposing party, as well as people that think their way of life is going to be altered.

I think we've had it both ways for too long in this country, in New Jersey in particular, and now the pendulum is going to have to start to swing back in the other direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 02:05 PM

555 posts, read 1,654,212 times
What did you expect with the liberal media?

You aren't going to hear "proposed reductions will saving $35M and potentially lower property taxes an average of $500!!"

You're going to hear... "Person X can no longer read!!! Doesn't Person X deserve to read? You can't take away Person X's ability to read!"

And... "Person Y's retirement plans are shot and they'll now have to work another 10 years to enjoy the retirement they planned!" Of course, they won't mention Person Y was a public employee planning to retire at 50.

I hate what the "news" has become... once upon a time they simply provided data... now it's all about ratings and reporting misery and suffering is what draws ratings. The things that draw the "masses" of Americans in honestly makes me sick at times... it's too bad we as a culture can't overcome it and make things better again through our viewership, our dollars, and our votes.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:23 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,756,664 times
I may not agree with all of these cuts but I absolutely commend him for having the *I cant think of a non banned word here* to make the cuts, crybabies be damned. Get the finances in order first. THEN, if there is anything left (or can be easily added) Add to the social programs that help the most needy first (needy does not automatically = poor).

Old 02-17-2010, 03:59 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,176,092 times
The problem with the US in general is the government is too bad. They brainwashed us to believe they are the solutions to everything. I am so freaking sick and tire of hearing people say "what are we going to do when government cut X". People need to wake the fvck up and start taking care of themselves and instead of depending on others. When you are depending on other, you become their dependent, which mean you belong to that them. Just like your children, they are your dependent and you own them.

Christie cannot just cut spending, he need to putting people to retirement or simply go downsizing just like private company does when facing losses.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:25 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,414,290 times
Thats what I am saying. If a kid is blind? How is it my fault? Have his parents who had him pay for everything. If a single mother need help for her kids after school, TOOO badd! Its not my problem. She had them? Now you deal with them. Stop working that way she can watch the kids.
If you want a small classroom with 15 to 20 kids why should taxpayers pay for it? Take yourself to a private school and get the education you feel you deserve. Hell I am for going private with cops and firefighters as well. Fire in your house and you cant put it out? Too bad, I mean it sucks to be you but why should other people have to pick you up? Go to school,better yourself and solve everything on your own. Thats capitalism at its finest. Christie is doing a great job but why should taxpayers pay for his cars and cops surrounding him? Hell if he wants to cut lets cut that right out of the budget. Have him get some big tough guy from the street who will do it for half the price. How about he drives a Honda Civic or something like that to also help out instead of that armada of gas guzzling SUVs? Lets do it right!

Old 02-17-2010, 04:32 PM

593 posts, read 1,661,100 times
You know, I think it's funny that all of these budget cuts are going to change NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. What you see now is what you will see later. Corzine may have been bad but this guy already seems to be much worse. At least have something lined up to make up for all these cuts going on. He's just going to cut everything until there's nothing left and people really start moving out. Things are getting much worse.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:13 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
This guy seems to be throwing horses over cliffs and he's not taking names.

Gov. Chris Christie warns N.J. districts school aid could be cut 15 percent in next budget | New Jersey Real-Time News - - NJ.com

Taking surpluses from districts that have built it up?

N.J. affordable after-school centers are threatened by Gov. Christie's budget cuts | New Jersey Real-Time News - - NJ.com

Cutting back after-school programs that are subsidized by the state. This one I agree with completely. You want something: pay for it yourself. The state is broke.

NJ Transit union leader warns of fare hikes of up to 30 percent, service cuts, employee furloughs | New Jersey Real-Time News - - NJ.com

Cutting back on employees in NJ Transit, and calling the agency a 'political patronage pit'. The union seems to be crapping its collective pants.

Blind 13 year old tells N.J. Assembly panel about impact of Gov. Chris Christie's budget cuts | New Jersey Real-Time News - - NJ.com

This one to me is an example of yellow journalism. The journalist clearly uses the pathos of the situation to confer sympathy to the child featured in this article.

However, these problems are all part of the greater picture that has drawn New Jersey into a 22 billion dollar hole. I hate to sound cold-hearted when it comes to the Fiorentino family, but WHY should the state have to pay for their son's equipment that enables him to read? What about the notion of the parents or the family paying for it? It seems as though a lot of the current crisises that we are feeling on a statewide level as well as nationally come down to this simple notion. If someone really needs the assistance for this child to read, I am sympathetic to that, however, it seems that most of these programs turn into long term necessities after a while. State provided child care is not a right. Yet, if you read the article, you hear nothing except for woe about 'what are we going to do now?'.

I viewed the election of Christie as a cry from NJ citizens that they've had enough of excessive taxation. However, when these actions are put into motion, the cries of objection become magnified. Therefore, I have to conclude that many of these people want something for free. They want the services, but they don't want their taxes raised to pay for them, in many cases. Along comes a governor that is attempting to reduce the cost of government, but it comes upon immediate resistance by the opposing party, as well as people that think their way of life is going to be altered.

I think we've had it both ways for too long in this country, in New Jersey in particular, and now the pendulum is going to have to start to swing back in the other direction.
Never more thankful than now that I no longer live in New Jersey.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Thats what I am saying. If a kid is blind? How is it my fault? Have his parents who had him pay for everything. If a single mother need help for her kids after school, TOOO badd! Its not my problem. She had them? Now you deal with them. Stop working that way she can watch the kids.
If you want a small classroom with 15 to 20 kids why should taxpayers pay for it? Take yourself to a private school and get the education you feel you deserve. Hell I am for going private with cops and firefighters as well. Fire in your house and you cant put it out? Too bad, I mean it sucks to be you but why should other people have to pick you up? Go to school,better yourself and solve everything on your own. Thats capitalism at its finest. Christie is doing a great job but why should taxpayers pay for his cars and cops surrounding him? Hell if he wants to cut lets cut that right out of the budget. Have him get some big tough guy from the street who will do it for half the price. How about he drives a Honda Civic or something like that to also help out instead of that armada of gas guzzling SUVs? Lets do it right!
This is a great post, particularly the last part regarding the Honda Civic. He should cut back as well.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Never more thankful than now that I no longer live in New Jersey.
You know Tigerlily, we're 650 million in the hole ourselves here after having surpluses for years and years. Richardson is already proposing a raise in the GRT, to plug what is in comparison, a small deficit, relative to 22 billion. The difference is, people don't bit%h and moan as much about this here, like back home. I hope we don't go down the same path, I really dont.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:45 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,414,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
This is a great post, particularly the last part regarding the Honda Civic. He should cut back as well.

Thank you very much. Why cant this guy help out the cause? Hell I want to buy a house in the Hillside and send my kids to the Mendham school district with Christie's kids. While I'm at it I want to bring a few of my kids friends. Oh that would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey