Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 11:22 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,215,390 times

Advertisements

Hi - I've been in NJ for about 2 weeks and still looking for an apartment. I loved the Shipyard in Hoboken but it's $1860 for a studio and so far I'm only working part-time. I don't know if I'd qualify. They don't have any open until Jan and I guess they require a 60 day notice to move, so early Nov there should be some people putting in notice.

I found rentals for under $900 in South Brunswick. Is that a decent area? I haven't been there yet. My part-time job is in Cranbury but ultimately I want to work full-time so I'm not sure how long I'll be working there. I have family in NY so I want to stay close to Long Island as well.

I still haven't figured out how to get to NY from Cranbury by train. So I've been driving instead wasting money on a lot of tolls. But I did decide it would be smarter and less stressful to live in NJ rather than NY.

Any input would be welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 01:02 PM

877 posts, read 2,840,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
Hi - I've been in NJ for about 2 weeks and still looking for an apartment. I loved the Shipyard in Hoboken but it's $1860 for a studio and so far I'm only working part-time. I don't know if I'd qualify. They don't have any open until Jan and I guess they require a 60 day notice to move, so early Nov there should be some people putting in notice.

I found rentals for under $900 in South Brunswick. Is that a decent area? I haven't been there yet. My part-time job is in Cranbury but ultimately I want to work full-time so I'm not sure how long I'll be working there. I have family in NY so I want to stay close to Long Island as well.

I still haven't figured out how to get to NY from Cranbury by train. So I've been driving instead wasting money on a lot of tolls. But I did decide it would be smarter and less stressful to live in NJ rather than NY.

Any input would be welcomed!
Great area. Close to New Brunswick and Princeton, you can get a train out of either town actually to go to NY. Jersey Ave I think has an overload with parking so that may be an issue. Not so sure about Princeton. I do know that from the Albany St station (New Brunswick) it's $26 round trip to Manhattan, which is actually less than the $19 in Outerbridge and Verrazano tolls.

There is also the bus stop at Rt 130 and 32 in SB which may be an option.

South Brunswick is right next to Cranbury. There is no station there, but the others mentioned are the closest I know of. Not that far out of the way though, it's pretty easy to get around in this area.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:48 PM

I see a park and pay near me but I guess it's $400 a month. Damn!

I looked at that place and it had a very strange vibe to it. The area was nice but the actual apartment complex seemed like only foreignors live there. (Not that there's anything wrong with that :P)

Old 10-26-2010, 02:54 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,275,100 times
South Brunswick is one of the last places I'd consider living in, to be honest.

It's just a spread out, soul-less, former farmland turned into cookie cutter development kind of town. And it's far from almost ANYTHING that you'd want to visit (cities, beaches).

You are comparing 2 complete opposite ends of the spectrum: true urban (Hoboken) versus true "exburb/strip mall town" (South Brunswick).

Old 10-26-2010, 02:56 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Look in New Brunswick , Rahway or Edison if you want something cheaper....

Old 10-26-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I see a park and pay near me but I guess it's $400 a month. Damn!

I looked at that place and it had a very strange vibe to it. The area was nice but the actual apartment complex seemed like only foreignors live there. (Not that there's anything wrong with that :P)
This area is very diverse with a lot of South Asians moving in recently, first generation out of India and surrounding countries out that way, so maybe that is what you are referring to. Is there a specific apartment complex you have in mind?

Old 10-26-2010, 05:34 PM

The complex was on Northumberland Way at County Rd. The couple moving had only been there a couple months so they were trying to break their lease. That was a red flag too.

It just seemed like something must be going on there. All the neighbors I drove by looked angry or something. It was odd.

I looked again in Hoboken today. I really like the Shipyard Apartments. They are in a great location, plenty of nice walking and shops. A studio is $1860 plus $250-300 for parking a month. Too bad it's so high because I would love to live there. It feels very safe and comfortable.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
The complex was on Northumberland Way at County Rd. The couple moving had only been there a couple months so they were trying to break their lease. That was a red flag too.

It just seemed like something must be going on there. All the neighbors I drove by looked angry or something. It was odd.

I looked again in Hoboken today. I really like the Shipyard Apartments. They are in a great location, plenty of nice walking and shops. A studio is $1860 plus $250-300 for parking a month. Too bad it's so high because I would love to live there. It feels very safe and comfortable.
Northumberland I thought was a condominium. I didn't think those were rentals. What about Royal Oaks further up Rt 1? That looks very nice driving through there.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:09 PM

I think I saw nice condos in front and then if you drive down the road, you'll see about 10 buildings that are apartments. They rent for under $900 and have HUGE closets and space. They aren't maintained well though and the neighbors seemed unfriendly. The surrounding area was nice, that's why it was strange to all the sudden feel that negative stuff in just that one complex.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:47 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,152,277 times
Hoboken and S. Brunswick couldn't be any more different. Hoboken is urban with primarily multi-unit dwellings, while SB is your typical suburban sprawl with subdivisions and strip malls. Personally I wouldn't want to live in SB as it's kind of "out there" and not near anything in particular. SB is also much too far to commute into NYC every day if that's what you'll end up doing. You'll find much more to do in Hoboken, and be closer to NYC, which is why it is more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey