Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 10:00 PM

23 posts, read 61,829 times

Advertisements

I have to chuckle at the descriptions and opinions of South Brunswick--not that I disagree completely, but it is just funny to hear the different opinions. The second I read your post, my first thought was, in agreement with previous replies, you are comparing two different ends of the spectrum. I am getting the impression you are single, possibly on the young or young-at-heart side. Hoboken, while pricey, is a hot spot. Parking is atrocious, but it is definitely a younger place to live. South Brunswick, on the other hand, is a 'family' community. Most people who live here do so for the schools. The community is truly changing its identity from farmland, church-going "homesteaders" to a community of professionals and self-employed business-people who live for the opportunities presented for their kids or themselves since this part of Route 1 is the Technology corridor, we are in close proximity to many universities and colleges and equidistant from NYC and Phila. Hospitals are good, which draws a population related to drug companies, research labs, etc. You mentioned "foreigners," well, 3rd generation Americans are quickly becoming the "foreigners" in SB as we are a very diverse community. We like to claim that we are very close to New Brunswick and Princeton and that it is a plus for those who seek culture--but unless you are of the "Princeton" culture, it is not likely that you would take great advantage of the offerings. The college kids all hang out in New Brunswick near Rutgers and those who live and work in the local area there or are involved with the playhouses or State Theatre make use of the area. But once one is over 25, you head to Hoboken or NYC if you are single or without kids and still seeking entertainment. South Brunswick is a nice, safe, family-oriented area wiwith stuff to do if you are looking to do what is actually accessible (meaning you have kids in the schools) or don't mind driving to get to everything. I'm here 27 years and have kids in their 20s. The oldest seeks her entertainment outside Central Jersey. The youngest being underage, finds her entertainment within Central Jersey of Philly, NYC on occasion, but will hightail it out as soon as she sprouts her wings. My husband commutes to NYC by car daily and does not find it incovenient to drive, although it is expensive and fortunately his expenses are paid by his employer. Train and bus commutes are not bad either. If you are single and looking for a social life, and don't work here, there are probably more suitable options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey