Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 04:27 AM

2 posts, read 4,377 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone

So we live in NYC right now. We love the city. But I will be working in New Brunswick (NB) and the wife will be continuing to work in NYC. Looking to most likely rent with a 1500-2500 monthly budget. no kids. no pets. would like to rent in an apt building or condominium. prefer high traffic area so high rises are best or areas with young professionals in apt setting. prefer urban setting.

We were thinking of living in newark since the commute to NB would be about 40 minutes and similar for her to get to her work. We are wondering what areas of Newark we should consider thats walking distance to the train station. Safety is obviously a concern. I know Newark has a reputation for being dangerous but living in Harlem right now, it has a dangerous reputation also but is quite the opposite. So where in Newark would be walking distance to the train station, safe, but "fun" for a young couple.

The other area we were considering were hoboken, JC area. I could drive to NB. And on days I need to go to NB during rush hour, I could park at Newark Penn Station and take the train to NB.

We love the city and do not want to lose it. We also love to go for runs outdoors. also eat healthy so go shopping twice a week to keep fresh food in stock.

I would appreciate any insight. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 04:56 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,692,119 times
Newark's reputation is well-earned.

You don't want to walk around Newark at night.

If you want "fun" for a young couple, definitely investigate Hoboken.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:06 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Newark : Ironbound , Newark is the Rail and bus hub of New Jersey aswell as a key point along the Northeast Corridor and Interstate bus network. Most lines run 22hrs , with Amtrak and PATH running 24hrs...

Jersey City : Historic Downtown , Paulus Hook , Newport , Transportation runs 24/7 via the PATH , 21hrs on LRT and mosts buses , some buses run 24.

Hoboken : Waterfront and North Hoboken , Transportation runs 24/7 into NYC on the PATH , 21hrs on LRT and most buses , some buses run 24.

You could live in New Brunswick itself , which is a college town...but has other things like trails and parks....its the Urban hub city of Central Jersey. 45minutes from Midtown by train... New Brunswick has 1 train station , and several trunk line bus services....

Old 03-17-2012, 08:07 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Agree with Nexis on the Ironbound or Historic Downtown Jersey City.

Downtown Jersey City is DEAD as far as nightlife goes, but Hoboken and NYC are a hop, skip and a jump for you.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:13 AM

2 posts, read 4,377 times
Thanks everyone.

When I say fun and nightlife, just something where we can occasionally go out to a restaurant or bar. We do not go out every night.

What would the commute be like from Newport Jersey city to New Brunswick? I work in shifts and the times I could start work are 7:00 am, 9:00 am, and 1:00 pm. What kind of commute should I expect?

Also returning from New Brunswick to Jersey City at 3:00pm and 5:30pm. How would traffic be then?

Thanks

Old 03-17-2012, 08:47 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Agree with Nexis on the Ironbound or Historic Downtown Jersey City.

Downtown Jersey City is DEAD as far as nightlife goes, but Hoboken and NYC are a hop, skip and a jump for you.
Its not dead on Grove street or Newark ave....remember Downtown is everything east of I-78...not just the waterfront.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmody View Post
Thanks everyone.

When I say fun and nightlife, just something where we can occasionally go out to a restaurant or bar. We do not go out every night.

What would the commute be like from Newport Jersey city to New Brunswick? I work in shifts and the times I could start work are 7:00 am, 9:00 am, and 1:00 pm. What kind of commute should I expect?

Also returning from New Brunswick to Jersey City at 3:00pm and 5:30pm. How would traffic be then?

Thanks
Well i would take the train from Newport to Newark then New Brunswick which takes an hr....same as driving with traffic factored in. The nightlife you want can be found in both the Ironbound which is the restaurant disrect of Newark and Historic Downtown which is the Restaurant and Hipster disrect of Jersey City.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,973 times
Hoboken is by far the best option. Weehawken is also a great place if you can stay east off JFK BLVD... My friend has a studio on the 8th floor of a building and has a million dollar safe and only pay $1200, which also includes free parking in a garage.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:18 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
I would pay good money to watch you yuppsters walk around NWK at night.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:56 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
I would pay good money to watch you yuppsters walk around NWK at night.
We need people to walk around and hang out in Newark at night if we want it to gentrify and become a nicer, safer, and more fun city.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:59 AM

252 posts, read 456,498 times
My wife and I faced exact same decision several years ago. We chose Weehawken over Hoboken and Jersey City. Reasons: 1) Weehawken is most convenient to Midtown where I work, 2) Weehawken is cheaper and quieter than Hoboken and parking is easier, and 3) access to Turnpike via 495 and alternate routes is easier from Weehawken. If my job was in Lower Manhattan, we probably would’ve moved to Jersey City.

Weehawken is one of the safest urban areas in New York City area. The town is diverse in terms of ethnicity, income, and people’s attitudes. Nightlife is light relative to Manhattan, Hoboken, and Jersey City, although there are a handful of restaurants and bars. Boulevard East is a great place to run with super view and few intersections. The walkway along the Hudson is also a great place to run for same reasons. Pathmark supermarket was just renovated and is open 24/7. NJ Transit and jitney buses run to Port Authority 24/7.

Apartments are available in your price range in apartment and condo buildings. The best deals are in 2- and 3- family homes that advertise units with a sign in the window so renters must walk the streets to find these opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey