Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:37 AM

259 posts, read 988,871 times

Advertisements

The COAST bus service does a good job of providing service throughout the seacoast, including a "beach-bus" service starting last summer. Sadly bus service to Manchester airport is lacking. It is possible to take the bus to Manchester bus terminal + get a $13.00 taxi, to get across town to the airport. Manchester Airport runs a bus service of it's own to selected Boston -metro north cities, direct to the airport.

Otherwise, seacoast areas are quite walkable + inviting The Down easter train to Boston provides a good weather comfortable diversion of riding to Boston including a club-car, W/ food, drinks at a very reasonable cost. I often ride to Boston just for the day to watch the "freaky people" or visit a museum.
link to Downeater site:
Amtrak Downeaster - All the Right Connections

http://www.coastbus.org/

Last edited by Yankeehombre; 01-07-2009 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: added "coast" link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 01:21 PM

909 posts, read 3,366,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
NH2008, nicolem and fishn, as you may or may not know, while the title of the franchise is Dunkin Donuts, it's really very much NOT about the donuts. It's the coffee that counts! I can't even remember the last time I had a donut. But I had a coffee yesterday AND as I learned tonight when I was listening to Michelle McPhee, the Dunkachino (sp??) is coming back. Yippee! Chocolate AND Coffee... I can be caffinated and enjoying chocolate at the same time
Okay, I HAVE to respond to this. DD seems to be to NH what Starbucks is to CA. Everywhere I go I see people with DD cups instead of Starbucks cups, which is fine. Dh said DD coffee is quite well known. Well I finally had some and I'm not sure why it's so famous! Do you have to get the "regular", meaning I guess with tons of cream and sugar? I've been drinking coffee black, and the DD black coffee is........so-so.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:29 PM

274 posts, read 952,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
I've been drinking coffee black, and the DD black coffee is........so-so.
We don't have any DD around where I am currently but the I'm a serious coffee drinker. So much so that I buy a case of coffee at at time from the coffee service that delivers to our country club. It's not that I drink that much in a day, it's just that I want a GOOD high end restaraunt or hotel grade coffee. I just can't stomach Folgers.

Like you I drink it straight. If God had meant for cream and suger to be in coffee he'd have put it in the beans!

Anyway I recently bought a bag of the DD coffee and made it at home and found that I have to use exactly twice as much of the DD to make a pot as I do of the coffee service coffee, but when I did that, I was amazed at how close it came to what I buy from the service. I should also mention that while I probably drink mine a little stronger than some people, I don't make it nearly as strong as Charbucks. I don't water mine down with cream and sugar so I don't need it that strong.

Maybe in the stores they make it differently for people that don't drink it straight. http://www.sundance-communications.com/forum/graemlins/dontknow.gif (broken link)

Old 01-07-2009, 01:30 PM

371 posts, read 1,162,650 times
Exactly, most people who like DD don;t actually like coffee -- they often order a 12/12. 12 sugar 12 cream. belch!

If you enjoy coffee, stick to local coffee houses or starbucks.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:04 PM

587 posts, read 1,626,525 times
When you say 12 sugar, do you mean 12 tsp. of sugar? That's disgusting! (says the lifetime drinker of black coffee). If I accidently take a sip of DH's coffee - with about 2 tsp of sugar and about 2 Tbsp. of milk, I literally run to the sink to spit it out!

Old 01-07-2009, 07:08 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,042,974 times
I dunno! Not being a coffee drinker at all.. but DH is, and one of my friends is - and they both prefer DD to most of the coffees out there that are readymade. I know DH hates Starbucks (Charbucks! love that!! ) - I can even smell that they burn the coffee, I think they burn the bean to start off with!.

And no, DH doesn't put lots of cream or sugar in his coffee: he puts a little cream and either no sugar or a bit of honey at home in his. He prefers to put it in himself rather than let them.

I noticed that DD coffee beans are even in the grocery stores down here! course they're expensive. DH often gets the New England coffee that's packaged in MA

Old 01-07-2009, 10:22 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,957,329 times
LOL wish I could give you reps fishn, too funny!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post
Granite stay on topic and stop trying to hijack the thread....we're talking donuts and coffee here!!!
Maestra, DD is for many just a habit that we'd rather not break. I am actually more of a tea drinker when I'm home or at the office, but when I'm out and about doing a marathon day of showing property, a Dunks drive up is a welcome site! I order my cream & sugar on the side--the "regular" coffee is WAY too sweet and creamy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
Okay, I HAVE to respond to this. DD seems to be to NH what Starbucks is to CA. Everywhere I go I see people with DD cups instead of Starbucks cups, which is fine. Dh said DD coffee is quite well known. Well I finally had some and I'm not sure why it's so famous! Do you have to get the "regular", meaning I guess with tons of cream and sugar? I've been drinking coffee black, and the DD black coffee is........so-so.
12 sugar sounds absolutely horrible--I once tried one of those "Sweet Tea" drinks from McD's and I literally had to spit it out. It was AWFUL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renlouis View Post
When you say 12 sugar, do you mean 12 tsp. of sugar? That's disgusting! (says the lifetime drinker of black coffee). If I accidently take a sip of DH's coffee - with about 2 tsp of sugar and about 2 Tbsp. of milk, I literally run to the sink to spit it out!
If you are a coffee drinker and don't want to frequent Charbucks or Dunks, there's a great little place in Derry called The Coffee Factory. It's a great little family run coffee house that is reminiscent of Starbucks (couches, chairs, nice decour, etc) but without the attitude. They also have a Friday night Open Mic night, which I haven't been able to make it to I'd post a website link, but I don't think they have one For anyone interested, it's in the Hood Plaza (also known as the Shaws Plaza).

Old 01-08-2009, 12:11 PM

909 posts, read 3,366,047 times
See, the many locations, early hours, and drive up is why I go to DD. Plus their breakfast sandwiches are pretty good at 7am on a Sunday morning when I need the extra energy With two toddlers and another on the way there's no way I'll be making it to any real coffee place any time soon

And just to get back to the OP, if we were able to live in a walkable town, we would've done it in two seconds. Just not close enough to Dh's job.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:03 PM

24 posts, read 47,687 times
You can drive to many walkable towns. Ha ha. in NH you should have a car that runs well even if you don't drive a whole lot. Just smart to have. Lots of little towns with lots of space in between.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:40 AM

18 posts, read 59,240 times
I lived in Laconia for a while without a vehicle, everything is close by. Great city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire