Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2007, 11:59 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,919,071 times

Advertisements

I've been recently checking out the Dover area, and it seems great - really pretty, historical, cultural, etc.

But is it a practical place to live? What I mean by that:
-Are there plenty of job opportunities nearby in a variety of fields?
-Is the standard everyday shopping available?
-Is there enough to do for the younger crowds?
-Is it modern enough that it doesn't feel too isolated from the world?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 12:18 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,281 times
Talking mom's gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I've been recently checking out the Dover area, and it seems great - really pretty, historical, cultural, etc.

Thanks.

ask nh2ncmom,,,she lived there her whole life until she left....

Old 10-23-2008, 01:10 PM

758 posts, read 2,889,132 times

Not so much in Dover itself, the the overall area (i.e. seacoast) is one of the better bets for NH. Machester/Concord is still commutable (a little long though) from there as well. The closer to Boston the better though (like Nashua).

Tons of it just north in Sommersworth, and just south in Portsmouth.

Yes, go to Portsmouth. Most of my friends live in Dover but anytime we go out, we head to Portsmouth. Dover has some decent restaurants and bars but it gets much better 15 minutes south. The downtown is getting better though.

Yes it's not bad if you include the surrounding areas. Train runs to Boston, Portsmouth is close by. It's nice and cheaper than most seacoast towns, but I do consider it just far enough away from the coast that I think it's a pain to drive up there. I prefer Portsmouth, Hampton (not the strip part), and Exeter to Dover, they will cost more for both rent or real estate.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:14 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post

Not so much in Dover itself, the the overall area (i.e. seacoast) is one of the better bets for NH. Machester/Concord is still commutable (a little long though) from there as well. The closer to Boston the better though (like Nashua).

Tons of it just north in Sommersworth, and just south in Portsmouth.

Yes, go to Portsmouth. Most of my friends live in Dover but anytime we go out, we head to Portsmouth. Dover has some decent restaurants and bars but it gets much better 15 minutes south. The downtown is getting better though.

Yes it's not bad if you include the surrounding areas. Train runs to Boston, Portsmouth is close by. It's nice and cheaper than most seacoast towns, but I do consider it just far enough away from the coast that I think it's a pain to drive up there. I prefer Portsmouth, Hampton (not the strip part), and Exeter to Dover, they will cost more for both rent or real estate.

WAIT TILL NHTONCMOM GET'S HOME FROM WORK AND SHE CAN TELL YOU ALL ABOUT IT

Old 10-23-2008, 05:40 PM

885 posts, read 2,660,787 times
Quote:

I'd say yes. As many opportunities are available in the Dover/Portsmouth/Seacoast area as in the Nashua/Manchester corridor.
Quote:
Yes - as others say, in Sommersworth, but plenty on Central Ave too.
Quote:
Dover has a lot of bars. A LOT OF BARS. Portsmouth is more upscale/touristy. Dover is where the kids at UNH go for a real night out.
Quote:
It is one of the oldest settlements in New England, but is does have modern conveniences. Just last year they put ELECTRIC streelights in!!!! And you can't tie up a horse anywhere in downtown due to all the new automobile thingies.
Quote:
Thanks.
Welcome.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:59 PM

63 posts, read 132,543 times
I think Dover's a great town with lots of things conveniently located. Plenty of job opportunities....well, more than in a lot of places.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:46 PM

880 posts, read 2,344,980 times
I loved Dover when I lived there. If I were to move back to NH (which will happen at some point) it is near the top of my list for towns. It has a nice downtown, near the coast, good schools, the surrounding towns are really nice, good people, etc. Most importantly... La Festa Brick and Brew is there. Best damn pizza in the seacoast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire