Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:21 AM

39 posts, read 78,808 times

Advertisements

My husband and I, native Long Islanders, are looking to move to the Dover area in a few months. We've been to the area several times in the past few months and many times in the past few years, and we recently got a storage space in Dover. On our last trip, we drove around a lot and drove through the parking lots of many apartment complexes. In late Oct. we hope to visit the buildings and get a lease for Dec. 1. Can anyone suggest some buildings that are especially good? A few we liked from the look of the exterior or read good things about online are:

- White Cliffs at Dover
- Granite Village Apartments
- Old Madbury Lane Apartments
- Royal Oak Apartments
- Cheney and Co. management co

There were others but my paperwork is at home. We do need a building that allows dogs.

If anyone has any info about any GOOD apartment buildings in the area - in Dover or in the surrounding towns (Madbury, Lee, Barrington, Portsmouth if not too expensive), I'd appreciate it! We do NOT want to be in Rochester or Somersworth.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 09:33 AM

758 posts, read 2,891,696 times
Try searching craigslist. Dover is full of Victorian homes converted into apartment or multifamily homes. You'll probably have more luck with the pets situation going through those rather than a complex, and you might find something with a yard and/or walking distance to downtown.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post
Try searching craigslist. Dover is full of Victorian homes converted into apartment or multifamily homes. You'll probably have more luck with the pets situation going through those rather than a complex, and you might find something with a yard and/or walking distance to downtown.
Thanks. We definitely plan on looking at craigslist - but I think it might be easier to get something through a management co. that might have multiple listings vs. a landlord that has only one apartment available ... but when we visit in late october we defintely plan to see as many apartments as we can, via craigslist and management companies. if we have to go through an apartment complex, i'd love to know which are good and which complexes we should avoid.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:03 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,963,095 times
You can always go through the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) of New Hampshire, as well. The public search option site is here:
Northern New England Real Estate Network - Official Website of the Northern New England MLS
Unlike many real estate sites, rentals are included.

Happy Hunting!

Old 09-21-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
You can always go through the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) of New Hampshire, as well. The public search option site is here:
Northern New England Real Estate Network - Official Website of the Northern New England MLS
Unlike many real estate sites, rentals are included.

Happy Hunting!
Thanks, Valerie. I am talking to a few realtors but hope to find an apartment free of fees - can you tell me if realtors in NH with apartment listings charge the rentor, or the rentee?

Old 09-21-2009, 06:22 PM

71 posts, read 172,362 times
I wish I could help you with you with the complexes that you are looking at, but I just want to add my 2 cents in....be aware, the prices are high in Dover and there are a lot of UNH students renting apartments.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennymcb View Post
I wish I could help you with you with the complexes that you are looking at, but I just want to add my 2 cents in....be aware, the prices are high in Dover and there are a lot of UNH students renting apartments.
Thanks. The prices did look a little higher there - compared to what we are paying now, they are cheap, but I know that we will make less in NH too, so I am definitely factoring that in. Can you recommend a town that would be cheaper but still a good neighborhood? I know Rochester's less, but I haven't heard too many good things about the town. Is Newington as expensive for apartments? Newmarket?

Old 09-23-2009, 07:19 PM

71 posts, read 172,362 times
Newington is industrial and Newmarket is the grunchy, granola version of Dover. Both Newmarket and Dover have neat downtown areas, but I think the rents are high due to UNH students. If I was young, without kids, I would love to live in Portsmouth. But I think the rents are high there also. Dover is a good choice due to the train, lot of choices.

I just get ticked looking at what my son is paying for an apartment with 3 other students and it's not where I would want to live in Dover. But then I figure it's a learning experience.

Rochester and Somersworth aren't that bad, might be even cheaper b/c of the distance from UNH. Where are you going to be working?

Old 09-24-2009, 05:18 AM

2 posts, read 5,065 times
Dover is not too bad in comparison of surrounding towns (depending on how close you want to be to work and where you work). I would say it is very comparable to Newmarket for price. Portsmouth is a bit more expensive than Dover.

You may want to look into Windshire Gardens, a complex in Dover that allows cats and dogs. I have a few friends that live there and have had no complaints. I believe rent is around $1100 for 2 bd/2ba.

Good luck!

Old 09-24-2009, 06:01 AM

885 posts, read 2,663,413 times
What's wrong with Somersworth and Rochester anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire