Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 03:00 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,336,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post
I have a hard time eating donuts. It's one of the worst foods imaginable. I eat at DD on occasion but it's far from my favorite. I came from a city of 300,000+ with a total metro area double that.....and we only had one DD that eventually went out of business. I had no idea they were such an institution out here until I moved. I still don't get it Give me a TimmyHo's any day of DD

If that is Tim Horton's-then yes! We make sure to visit whenever we are in Portland or down in parts of Massachusetts! I love Tim's!

Nicolem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 05:23 PM

70 posts, read 385,869 times
GOD i miss timmy ho's! i swear their coffee has some sort of addictive additive in it. Is that the only place to find them portland and mass?

Old 01-03-2009, 12:20 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,336,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXC9900 View Post
GOD i miss timmy ho's! i swear their coffee has some sort of addictive additive in it. Is that the only place to find them portland and mass?
Yes NH and VT have no Tim Horton's. There are some in Maine-right now Portland is the closest that I know of. However, I know that they are expanding in Maine. There are some in Mass and Rhode Island and those used to be locally owned donut shops who sold to Tim's when they went out of business.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:27 PM

586 posts, read 1,507,534 times
ROFL! Different strokes, I guess - we were at a Timmy's in portland the weekend of the ice storm and DH and I thought it was the worst coffee we'd had in a long time.

Best donuts I've had were at a small indy place on the Cape -- Hole in One. They only have 2 locations that I know of but I bet BryFry could tell us if there were more!

Old 01-03-2009, 08:11 PM

274 posts, read 953,119 times
I don't mean to steer the thread off course, but since everyone is already talking about Dunkin Donuts, just let me say you guys have no idea how blessed you are to have them! Years ago I owned a business brokerage firm in Dallas, TX at which time I was surprised to find that DD was the number one sought after franchise in New England and there was a 2 year waiting list to to get one.

The reason I found this so surprising is that although DD was in Texas in the 70s they just couldn't hang on and compete with what is there now. Virtually all the donut shops in the are now area owned and operated by Asians, (Koreans I believe primarily.) An entire family and extended family will live under one roof and all work the shop on very thin profit margins.

What that means to the customer is that if you walk in at 10 a.m. and order a dozen donut holes and they've sold all they made at 5, they just tell you they're already out. If they haven't sold them all today, you'll get them tomorrow. (No they don't sell them as day old, they just sell them.) Also, they're shut down by noon. No fresh donuts or coffee in the afternoon.

You don't fully appreciate DD until you've had the alternative.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:50 PM

4,541 posts, read 6,815,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXC9900 View Post
Connecticut too! Their coffee is far superior to DD and is consistently good.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:46 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,960,211 times
NH2008, nicolem and fishn, as you may or may not know, while the title of the franchise is Dunkin Donuts, it's really very much NOT about the donuts. It's the coffee that counts! I can't even remember the last time I had a donut. But I had a coffee yesterday AND as I learned tonight when I was listening to Michelle McPhee, the Dunkachino (sp??) is coming back. Yippee! Chocolate AND Coffee... I can be caffinated and enjoying chocolate at the same time

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2008 View Post
Is it really un-NH to say...ick?! I was all revved up to get addicted to donuts, but Dunkin' just isn't doing it for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I am the same way. I really don't like Dunkin all that much either.
Quote:
I have a hard time eating donuts. It's one of the worst foods imaginable. I eat at DD on occasion but it's far from my favorite. I came from a city of 300,000+ with a total metro area double that.....and we only had one DD that eventually went out of business. I had no idea they were such an institution out here until I moved. I still don't get it Give me a TimmyHo's any day of DD

Old 01-06-2009, 10:49 PM

26,433 posts, read 46,665,702 times
Walkable towns?
Portsmouth, Concord, and Laconia would fit the bill.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:06 AM

758 posts, read 2,891,309 times
Granite stay on topic and stop trying to hijack the thread....we're talking donuts and coffee here!!!

/haven't had a cup of coffee in easily 5 years.....

Old 01-07-2009, 09:26 AM

274 posts, read 953,119 times
Quote:
Granite stay on topic and stop trying to hijack the thread....we're talking donuts and coffee here!!!
Moderating is a thankless job isn't it Granite. http://www.sundance-communications.com/forum/graemlins/rotfl.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire