Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2008, 06:23 AM

105 posts, read 209,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbarcreek View Post
You all so very nice and helpful with the information you have given me! Thank you all so much! We are actually moving from Sandpoint, Idaho and it is very nice here but my husband is from the east coast and was offered a jobin Boston but he said lets find a nice small town in New Hampshire and we could just rent an apartmentin Boston because we each understand the tax consequences of living in Mass.

But we hope to get a feel for small town USA in New Hampshire and this post is exactly what we needed so thank you all so much and especially Mr Cometfor begininning the post.

One more question though! We did travel a lot through Vermont and notices many or almost all of the small towns had a significant old time hippee presence. Is that the case for New Hampshire? We are not hippees and want to avoid a inference to the drug culture which I have found can be a subtle nod from the way a community is structured.

Live and let live but we really want to live away from the 60's hippee thing.

thanks again
Well, at least hippies are pretty peaceful. Unlike the kids I used to know in NH who, maybe for a lack of better things to do, used to cruise around town drunk looking for "freaks" to beat the tar out of. Or like the upstanding young citizens in Hollis the last time I was visiting my family who tried to run me off the road while jogging, screaming "******* ****ot!"

Point being, don't judge a book by it's cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 09:17 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,257,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbarcreek View Post
You all so very nice and helpful with the information you have given me! Thank you all so much! We are actually moving from Sandpoint, Idaho and it is very nice here but my husband is from the east coast and was offered a jobin Boston but he said lets find a nice small town in New Hampshire and we could just rent an apartmentin Boston because we each understand the tax consequences of living in Mass.

But we hope to get a feel for small town USA in New Hampshire and this post is exactly what we needed so thank you all so much and especially Mr Cometfor begininning the post.

One more question though! We did travel a lot through Vermont and notices many or almost all of the small towns had a significant old time hippee presence. Is that the case for New Hampshire? We are not hippees and want to avoid a inference to the drug culture which I have found can be a subtle nod from the way a community is structured.

Live and let live but we really want to live away from the 60's hippee thing.

thanks again
My question is, how can you just drive thru a town and make a judgement on what the people look like? The thing i liked about living in N.H. was the fact no body seems to judge you.I would definatly consider myself a old hippie and havent used drugs for over 20 years. As a matter of fact a lot of my friends seem to look a awful lot like me. So if you drive thru my town and see me please dont judge the town by how i look. Your gonna be missing out on a awful lot of nice real estate. Just my 2cents fron this old hippie.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:37 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,861,279 times
Mont Vernon is a great town. I live in a town near there and have some friends there.....

Old 08-15-2008, 10:08 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,541,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Thank you Fallfanatic!

When it comes to Fall's most beautiful Colors you can see so much of it throughout all of New Hampshire! Actually Bethlehem is just down the road from Littleton!

But then I was looking up a little Town Called STEWARTSTOWN! Wow! What a cute and neat little town! It is nestled in the corner of the Canadian and Vermont border. Maybe the Diner could get a grant from the Dept of Homeland Security!
Thank you so much comet!!! Yet another beautiful town!!! This is going to be quite a hard decision to make!!! Thank you also for the wonderful picture!!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:12 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,541,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta View Post
Fallfanatic, you are making me homesick for NH!!! I used to work at the nursing hospital in West Stewartston, and my best friend lived right across the VT border in Canaan, VT. We used to love taking walks all over town, even at midnight when we got off work! I tasted poutine for the first time at the Spa Restaurant right in the village!! YUM! Ethan Allen furniture company is right over the border in Beecher Falls VT. Big Diamond and Little Diamond ponds in Stewartstown are great for fishing!

I didn't mean to make you homesick...sorry. I so greatly appreciate your wonderful post and memories you have shared with us!!! This really is going to be hard to decide.....so much beauty and such wonderful people!!! I imagine where ever we wind up will be perfect.......it's hard to go wrong with so many great places!!! Thanks again for sharing with all of us and for all your very helpful post!!!!!

Old 08-15-2008, 11:23 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,185,519 times
Default Regarding "hippies"

I think you need to define your definition of a hippie Like everywhere, small towns in NH also have drug users, I think you'd be hard put to find anywhere that doesn't. They also have heavy drinkers, as do most towns. That's not to say drug use is rampant or condoned - it's just there.

My husband calls himself a "guitar-pickin' hippie" - but he is not into the drug culture - it's more of a "philosophy", IMO. He's pretty laid back, live and let live, loves his rock music, etc. His hair is fairly long by today's standards, so I guess someone looking at him would put him in the "hippie" category. He's also not into suits and ties (did that for many years with IBM!) and prefers casual clothes, usually jeans and a t-shirt or flannel shirt, depending on the season

We've met a lot of people up here, who are musicians, and I guess they could also be classified as "hippies" by looking at them - the longer hair. They are, however, some of the best people around. If someone needs a hand with something, they are usually the first ones to help out. They are funny, witty, intelligent, artistic people. We have a lot of artists in this area - I guess, by some, they could also be called "hippies" because of their artistic nature and what they paint/build/write, how they dress, etc.

One of the things we enjoy most about our town is the lack of judgment by others based on how you dress, how you wear your hair, how big your house is, what kind of car you drive, etc. It's very much live and let live - eccentricities and all

So, again, I think it all depends on your definition of "hippie"

Old 08-15-2008, 12:53 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,210,563 times
Talking HELLO THERE! Thank you!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT SEAMUSNH!

NH has a lot of small quaint towns to pick from!This is going to be a hard

choice!

Thank you to ALL for the wonderful posts!

Take care!

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Mont Vernon is a great town. I live in a town near there and have some friends there.....

Last edited by countrylv22; 08-15-2008 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: SMILE & WE WILL SMILE WITH YOU! :0) PEACE! :0)

Old 08-15-2008, 03:53 PM

141 posts, read 282,783 times
Smile My appologies if I offended any hippees or exhippees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
My question is, how can you just drive thru a town and make a judgement on what the people look like? The thing i liked about living in N.H. was the fact no body seems to judge you.I would definatly consider myself a old hippie and havent used drugs for over 20 years. As a matter of fact a lot of my friends seem to look a awful lot like me. So if you drive thru my town and see me please dont judge the town by how i look. Your gonna be missing out on a awful lot of nice real estate. Just my 2cents fron this old hippie.
I am sorry if my last post offended anyone who took it the wrong way. Actually my husband still has his pony tail but he is not a hippee if that is how one defines a hippee. But my question had to do with the drug culture we experienced when we researched Vermont, like I think Woodbury and Burlington. It appeared that Vermont was very ok with growing hemp and still had remants ofthe oldstyle head shop! I think if a community wants that it is fine with me. I have no problem with the legalization of pot but we would like to find a town or state where that does not happen.
I have nothing personally against hippees either I just choose not to live near them, as that is our right to choose who and where we want to live.

So I truly appologoze to anyone who was offended.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:28 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,257,035 times
I am definatly not offended. I guess i must of mis-understood what you said. I wish you all the luck finding that special place.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:37 PM

6 posts, read 13,503 times
Smile littleton, New Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
For those of us who grew up in a small town during the 50’s & 60’s we can still remember that special small town atmosphere. So much American literature has been written about small town USA, like “Our Town” by Thornton Wilder, “Winesburg Ohio” by Sherwood Anderson and of course, “Bedford Falls” that was portrayed in the movie “It’s a Wonderful Life.” A town with its own High school, local drug store, dairy, hardware store, railroad, cruising on Friday & Saturday nights and so on. A town where you would not worry about leaving your kids run around all day. Even a town that did not throw a fit if dogs were unleashed, as everyone would know the dogs on a first name basis!

Would like to hear from you about which town in New Hampshire most represents this ideal?
I would have to say littleton and the surrounding little towns. I spent a week there in 2006 and enjoyed every minute of it. The people were warm and very nice. I wish I could of been born in such a quant and unique place like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire