Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 01:28 PM

213 posts, read 508,256 times

Advertisements

Oooooops-I meant smalltown feel-LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 02:08 PM

311 posts, read 996,423 times
Hi Fall! Unfortunately, Sam's and Four Dorrs are gone. North End Market is still there, but it's not quite the same without Mr. Arsenault (the jolly, always joking owner who wore a white apron). The Rialto was closed for many years, but was bought by Spinelli Cinema and renovated. I haven't been there since it reopened, but they kept the marquee, so it looks like something from yesteryear.

The other great thing about Lancaster is all the old Victorian and colonial homes that still stand. Although my childhood home on Main Street was demolished for a hotel, lots of people have renovated the old homes back to their splendor.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:14 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,539,442 times
That sounds beautiful newhampshiregirl!! I can't wait to come over and see the area for myself...but it very much sounds like what I am looking for. I am so glad that they kept the marquee because like you said it lends itself to memories of yesteryear.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:16 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,276,359 times
My favorite memory of Lancaster while growing up was driving over there (from the StJ area) to go to the waterslide at Roger's campground

Old 07-25-2008, 03:06 PM

230 posts, read 875,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhampshiregirl View Post
Gosh, Asta, you're really bringing back memories for me. I, too, probably frequented Sam's in the late 60s/early 70s. Then we moved to the other end of town and North End Market became our spot for candy. Remember they made "Italians" in hot dog rolls and kept them in a little basket at the check-out counter (unrefrigerated, mind you!)? My parents still buy their fresh Thanksgiving turkeys from North End.

I used to HATE the Colonel Town pool...it was always SO cold. My parents had to force me to take swimming lessons. Funny, I always preferred pond/lake swimming (we had a camp at Martin Meadow Pond) than swimming in that pool! I loved all the events at the Colonel Town - from the concerts, to Halloween, to school dances, and using the game room downstairs. I was always envious of the Leaver kids getting to live right there.

What about Four Dorrs? Did you used to go there to eat or get ice cream? My most memorable outings to Four Dorrs drive-in were when my parents would pile us all into the station wagon, leave the back window either open or the tailgate thingy open, and we'd head there for burgers & fries, which were oh so much better than any modern-day McDonalds. And the soft serve ice cream was to die for. Of course, now you can get soft serve at any corner store, but back then it was such a novelty in Lancaster.

What about the Rialto? I loved going to movies there. The seats were awfully uncomfortable, but the atmosphere was so cool. Mr. Piche always looking so stern and his mother so sweet as she popped corn.

Thanks for kick starting the memories, Asta.
Thanks for you, too, for the memories. Lancaster was really a great place to grow up. I miss those days!

Heck, anywhere there was candy, I went there! From the North End Market on my way to the pool, to Sam's on the way to and from school. I also used to get a kick out of using the vending machines in the Esso and Mobil stations on Main Street. Candy bars were 5 cents, and there was the Coke machine where you put in your money and then opened a door and pulled out a Coke by the neck of the bottle. Remember the backwards clock in the Mobil station?

Col Town pool was ok to swim in, but sometimes too crowded and too much chlorine. But I liked going there because that's were all my friends were. Then I would go around to the Col Town playground to play and dry off before I went home. I knew someone who lived at Martin Meadow Pond for a while, too, and I agree with you about pond swimming vs. pool swimming. I also used to beg my mom to bring us to the Waumbek to jump off the high dive into the swimming hole!

Us kids didn't go to the Four Dorrs much, except when we went to Santa's Village or Six Gun City. Our ice cream/burger/fries place of choice was the Prospect View at the end of Bridge Street. I can remember going there when it used to be "Bible Land," to watch the lions while we ate our ice cream.

Rialto was always exciting to go to, too. And I think a box of popcorn was 25 cents! What a treat. Howard was really stern, but it was all an act!

Boy, with all these memories, I feel like I could write a book!

Oh, yeah, I forgot about Roger's waterslide! Definitely tons of fun!!! We used to drive to St. J once a month to do our "big" shopping at Ames! Loved driving past the Maple Grove and taking a deep breath. Sometimes we would stop for one piece of candy, but only one, mind you!!!

Last edited by Asta; 07-25-2008 at 03:21 PM..

Old 07-26-2008, 02:37 PM

311 posts, read 996,423 times
How could I forget about Prospect View...but that came later after Four Dorrs had been around for a long time. We used to ride our bikes there for ice cream. We, too, would make special trips to St. J to Ames. I got a checking acct at the Siwooganock when I was 16 and went to St. J Ames to buy some records. I wrote a check and they made me have my picture taken. I found out from a friend that worked there that there wasn't even film in the camera...just trying to scare the check bouncers away.

Of course I remember the Esso station! Mr. Crawford scared me. He was so serious. One time I was there filling up my mother's car and a Massachusetts car pulled in the other side. Mr. Crawford was filling that car up and the driver opened his window and dumped his full ashtray onto the ground at Mr. Crawford's feet. Mr. Crawford didn't even blink an eye. He took the guy's credit card and went inside to process it. He came out with the credit card receipt signing thingy and something else in his hand. The Mass. driver signed the credit card slip, then Mr. Crawford lifted his other hand, which I then realized was holding a small wastebasket. He dumped the can of trash into the guy's lap...without even saying a word!

Old 07-26-2008, 03:32 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,252,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosrto View Post
Can anyone give their take on Freedom? i've been there a few times, it seemed to have that genuine smalltime feel.
I really believe that part of N.H. is probably the best part of the state. Freedom is beautiful.It definatly has small town feel. I lived in N.H. my whole life until i moved down here 7 years ago. When i lived in N.H. i always thought there was something special about that area. We recently bought a log cabin in Effingham, (just south of Freedom).As soon as i can sell this place down here , I'll be back. You have everything you need in that area. Lakes, mountains and that SMALL TOWN FEEL.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:39 PM

141 posts, read 282,691 times
Default This is what I have been looking for!

Thank you for this thread! I have been wanting to find a place like this for my family for a long time!

Old 07-26-2008, 04:21 PM

230 posts, read 875,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
I really believe that part of N.H. is probably the best part of the state. Freedom is beautiful.It definatly has small town feel. I lived in N.H. my whole life until i moved down here 7 years ago. When i lived in N.H. i always thought there was something special about that area. We recently bought a log cabin in Effingham, (just south of Freedom).As soon as i can sell this place down here , I'll be back. You have everything you need in that area. Lakes, mountains and that SMALL TOWN FEEL.
I have to agree with you too!! To be honest, I really love the whole northern half of the state. The Lakes Region is really beautiful. I'm not fond of the southern part of the state, though.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:28 PM

12 posts, read 86,349 times
Amherst, Exeter, Bow, Mont Vernon, Strafford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire