Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 10:24 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge1 View Post
One of my biggest complaints with New Hampshire/New England is the general lack of religiosity. Religion is basically irrelevant in many people's lives, and otherwise is kept under wraps. It is one of those things that makes people very uncomfortable to even acknowledge. This represents an unfortunate loss of tradition among other things.
And what I dislike about visiting South was that southerners will throw in that quick and insincere "god bless" into the end of their conversations with the implication that if I don't give them the same "god bless" back, I'm not part of their club. I find that to be a very judgmental phrase.

NH is religious enough and the attendance at the local churches seem healthy enough. And many socialize and play catch-up with the week's events at that time. Maybe not all of them are truly god-fearing, but I do think that they take their religion with a grain of salt and use it to be good moral people.

Otherwise, even though I am an atheist, I have a much stronger moral compass that most of the city christians that I work with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 10:26 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,542,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And what I dislike about visiting South was that southerners will throw in that quick and insincere "god bless" into the end of their conversations with the implication that if I don't give them the same "god bless" back, I'm not part of their club. I find that to be a very judgmental phrase.

NH is religious enough and the attendance at the local churches seem healthy enough. And many socialize and play catch-up with the week's events at that time. Maybe not all of them are truly god-fearing, but I do think that they take their religion with a grain of salt and use it to be good moral people.

Otherwise, even though I am an atheist, I have a much stronger moral compass that most of the city christians that I work with.

on this we agree

Old 08-13-2015, 11:47 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
They even had religious education (LDS only of course) in public schools on public school grounds. I never figured out how they got away with doing that. It was an elective, so students didn't have to take their classes, but still why would the LDS church have a building on public school grounds to teach religious education?
Seminary buildings are never right on public school property. They are usually next door or right across the street. The way they "got away with doing that" was that it's a law in Utah that students may be dismissed during school hours for religious training. If the Catholics or Baptists or Lutherans had wanted to offer classes during school hours and provide a place (even a private home near the school) for the classes to be held, they would have been more than welcome to.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:32 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,381,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Seminary buildings are never right on public school property. They are usually next door or right across the street. The way they "got away with doing that" was that it's a law in Utah that students may be dismissed during school hours for religious training. If the Catholics or Baptists or Lutherans had wanted to offer classes during school hours and provide a place (even a private home near the school) for the classes to be held, they would have been more than welcome to.
I guess there's not enough time outside of school hours to teach religion at home and at the countless LDS churches located on almost every corner? Sorry, just another way for the LDS church to exert control and dominance.

I'm off topic. I'm sorry. I just hope NH never becomes Utah in this respect.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:52 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
we have faith based religion taught in NH schools and the kids can't opt out..it's called evolution.. yet no one seems bothered by that..mmm
Why don't you post this in the religious forum not the New Hampshire forum.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:56 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
I guess there's not enough time outside of school hours to teach religion at home and at the countless LDS churches located on almost every corner? Sorry, just another way for the LDS church to exert control and dominance.
And I'm sorry it's such a sore spot with you, but as I said before, all churches have the same opportunity and just don't take advantage of it.

Quote:
I'm off topic. I'm sorry. I just hope NH never becomes Utah in this respect.
I doubt you have anything to worry about.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:13 PM

161 posts, read 167,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

NH has less church goes than any state besides Vermont. The churches there are are often small. I don't know if you've ever traveled but most states have mega-churches; NH has very few; even churches we may consider to be large are not very big compared to those in other states. You may have a larger moral compass than other Christians but that doesn't prove anything. Christians are not Christians because they are moral winners, but because they are moral failures (though in a sense everyone is) a Christian therefore is not necessarily someone who is anymore self comtrolled than anyone else, and often times are not. I myself used to think, when I was an atheist and before, that thought the ordinary nature of your average Christians was nothing impressive, nothing like they are supposed to stride to be; nothing in their moral character that reflects a divine truth that they adhere to. I learned that it is because Christians are simply people who are humble enough to admit their moral failure. The fact is that whether it is true or not has nothin to do with how moral or how immoral followers of Christ are.

Last edited by Jon3154; 08-13-2015 at 08:22 PM..

Old 08-14-2015, 05:34 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon3154 View Post
NH has less church goes than any state besides Vermont. The churches there are are often small. I don't know if you've ever traveled but most states have mega-churches; NH has very few; even churches we may consider to be large are not very big compared to those in other states.
Umm... that's because NH and VT are extremely small states by land mass and because of both states are extremely rural. We don't have enough people to compete with the larger states for number of churchgoers. What would we do with mega churches (ick!!!)? And they would look silly in our landscape and empty because of how few townsfolk are in them.

And imo those mega-churches are just symbols of those churches showing off how skilled those ministries are in brainwashing their followers to donate in large amounts. Surely their god is not impressed by the size of their mega-church and it would be money better spent giving back to poor in their communities.

Quote:
You may have a larger moral compass than other Christians but that doesn't prove anything. Christians are not Christians because they are moral winners, but because they are moral failures (though in a sense everyone is) a Christian therefore is not necessarily someone who is anymore self comtrolled than anyone else, and often times are not. I myself used to think, when I was an atheist and before, that thought the ordinary nature of your average Christians was nothing impressive, nothing like they are supposed to stride to be; nothing in their moral character that reflects a divine truth that they adhere to. I learned that it is because Christians are simply people who are humble enough to admit their moral failure. The fact is that whether it is true or not has nothin to do with how moral or how immoral followers of Christ are.
But why then, do most religious church-going people think that they are more moral than non-believers? Because that's what I keep hearing from them even as what I see is that they have no work ethic (feeling justified in stealing by their lazyiness on the job) and arrange their income stream in order to collect the most government benefits.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:42 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,548,448 times
This thread is a perfect illustration of Religion in The North Country.

People actually do have strong opinions about it, and ties to it. But generally, we don't talk about it in public because everyone's opinions are different, and our nature is to keep that private. This is M.Y.O.B. Country, and most of us like it very much this way.

NH and VT constantly get put on "Least Religious" lists but I agree that the data doesn't necessarily reflect the spiritual reality of the area. We are just very diverse in the respect, and don't generally put that religiousness out public.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:05 AM

125 posts, read 149,074 times
Ok, last minute contender.

We found a house we love in New Hampton. Give me some info on this town please. How would it compare for us to the other towns we narrowed it down too? We really, really like this house a lot.

BTW it's not in town, it's on the outskirts but it is a New Hampton address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire