Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 12:07 AM

5 posts, read 9,468 times

Advertisements

Hello there. The wife and I are moving to the east coast due to a job offer for myself in New York City. I am looking for a great town within commuter distance to the city.

The town must have/be:
Good schools.
Christian-friendly.
Fiscally and socially conservative (we are devout Christians and I must say we are typically alligned with socially conservative ideals, such as gay marriage and homosexual activity as well as abortion).
Cost of living isn't too big of a problem - preferably somewhere higher class tbh.
Natural beauty.

I've expressed my feelings pretty honestly in the hopes of finding a suitable town, so I hope I wont just get hate for being a conservative Republican :/

I've read that New Canaan, Darien and Greenwich, among other towns in Fairfield County, voted Republican, but I don't feel like being surrounded by a bunch of RINOs, who call themselves conservatives and then support homosexual marriage and abortion...

Old 02-11-2014, 02:30 AM

11 posts, read 15,713 times
You will meet many conservatives in the towns you mentioned although most will be more libertarian minded conservatives there are some social conservatives as well. There was an anti-Obama billboard right along 95 for some time. The Greenwich Republican club has some nice events and tends more towards conservative than RINO. The black Friday after Obamas re-election there was a small protest in the middle of town in New Canaan(I think it was about Benghazi if I remember correctly) and it was very well received with many cheers and cars beeping in agreement. Anne Coulter is originally from New Canaan.

New Canaan sounds like it would fit what you are looking for best. Good schools, very pretty, family orientated, nice houses, definitely higher class. Although all the towns you mentioned fit that criteria to some degree New Canaan wins because of the little things like leaving my dogs food out for me to pick up after store hours when I was running late one night, it just has more of a small town feel than Greenwich.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:39 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTfamilyman View Post
I don't feel like being surrounded by a bunch of RINOs, who call themselves conservatives and then support homosexual marriage and abortion...

I'd strongly advise you to decline the job offer then. You will not be happy in this region of the country.

Note to other CT forum regulars: I know this board will (deservedly) want to flame the OP. Let's not waste our time.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:40 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,340 times
You won't get hate- this is the CT forum. However, given your post, are you sure CT is where you want to look?? The towns you listed have a fairly high cost of living. Also, CT folk are unique in that we deeply respect all those who generally yet consistently keep their opinions to themselves, and those that don't (to be honest) regardless of socioeconomic status are often left feeling less than satisfied with the full acceptance of their neighbors. Even if there are people who might agree with you in your depths of conservatism (and I'm not sure if there are or not), it is quite simply often viewed as impolite by CT standards to be so overt in this matter of discourse, particularly in face to face daily dealings.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:10 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
New Canaan & Darien are fairly conservative for this region of the country, but you'd likely consider them RINO type Republicans, as somewhere around 50% of Connecticut Republicans are okay with either gay marriage or civil unions. However, you're looking at average home prices into 7 figures for both towns.

There are some pretty & rural areas that are also pretty conservative in Litchfield County, but that's not really commutable to NYC, and it might be more the libertarian type conservatives there, too.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:38 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
I don't really think anything within commuting distance of NYC fits the bill all that well - you start seeing more conservatism once you get into the far northern burbs in NY but wouldn't recommend for a daily commute, and while Litchfield County skews red it's definitely libertarian red. New Canaan is probably your best bet but in general, don't expect overt agreement with the ideals you proclaimed.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:56 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Social conservatives are few and far between in CT - the big difference between Reps and Dems here is fiscal policy. Chris Christie is pretty representative of the type of Republican most prevalent in CT, including towns in lower FFC.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:08 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTfamilyman View Post
Hello there. The wife and I are moving to the east coast due to a job offer for myself in New York City. I am looking for a great town within commuter distance to the city.

The town must have/be:
Good schools.
Christian-friendly.
Fiscally and socially conservative (we are devout Christians and I must say we are typically alligned with socially conservative ideals, such as gay marriage and homosexual activity as well as abortion).
Cost of living isn't too big of a problem - preferably somewhere higher class tbh.
Natural beauty.

I've expressed my feelings pretty honestly in the hopes of finding a suitable town, so I hope I wont just get hate for being a conservative Republican :/

I've read that New Canaan, Darien and Greenwich, among other towns in Fairfield County, voted Republican, but I don;t feel like being surrounded by a bunch of RINOs, who call themselves conservatives and then support homosexual marriage and abortion...

Traditional people have good manners. Most conservatives, and many liberals consider themselves "traditional" and conduct themselves in such a way.

It is not traditional nor is it consistent with proper etiquette, to enter a new region of the country and expect others to behave and believe exactly as you do. Further, you have just insulted a group of people by calling them "RINOS" (Republicans in Name Only)

People in the North East, in in particular in Connecticut, are polite and private. We do not interrogate others about their religious or political preferences. We are more traditional than that.
From your post, it would seem that you might not have a problem with this ethos.

In the North East, most of us were raised not to discuss sex, politics and religion with acquaintances.
You have discussed all three in your post.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:11 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
I forgot to mention that Karen Brewer of William Pitt in Darien seems like the agent that you would want to work with.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:16 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
I'm not sure I'd consider Greenwich "solidly conservative".....it is bigger and more diverse than its stereotype and I would describe it more as "leaning rightward".

As others mentioned, Darien and New Canaan are probably the closest places that fit what you are describing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut