Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 04:30 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,298 times

Advertisements

Isn't Pittsfield the main "test" site for common core in NH? Not sure if that matters to OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 06:54 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow3 View Post
To the few kind folks who gave me legitimate responses, thank you, they were very helpful. To the rest of you hell bent on turning this into an ideological battle with your passive aggressive digs, beat it, you aren't converting anyone and I won't indulge your insecurities.

Does anyone have info on Pittsfield and even further north around Ossipee? There are two Christian schools near both places that interest me for our other son. Thanks.

BTW, I will be heading back tomorrow to check these areas out.
You might be overthinking this a bit. Stay away from the crunchy granola liberal strongholds like Portsmouth, Durham, Peterborough, etc. and I think you will do just fine. No one cares what higher power you follow or do not follow. That's what's so great about NH.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:37 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
You might be overthinking this a bit. Stay away from the crunchy granola liberal strongholds like Portsmouth, Durham, Peterborough, etc. and I think you will do just fine. No one cares what higher power you follow or do not follow. That's what's so great about NH.
They still eat that stuff?

Old 08-08-2015, 10:20 PM

125 posts, read 149,239 times
Also on the schedule to check out homes around Groton and Alstead areas on Monday. Alstead is about half hour north of Keene. I was in Keene, seemed pretty radical compared to even Concord or Manchester when I was there. Also didn't those college kids riot a couple years ago? I know Alstead is not in Keene but is it the same kind of crowd being as close as it is or far enough away to have its own vibe?

Old 08-08-2015, 10:31 PM

26,418 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow3 View Post
Also on the schedule to check out homes around Groton and Alstead areas on Monday. Alstead is about half hour north of Keene. I was in Keene, seemed pretty radical compared to even Concord or Manchester when I was there. Also didn't those college kids riot a couple years ago? I know Alstead is not in Keene but is it the same kind of crowd being as close as it is or far enough away to have its own vibe?
Alstead is very rural, traditional New England town that has changed little over time. Groton, on the other hand, has seen some recent changes with a new wind farm built adjacent to the old Tenney Mountain ski area in Plymouth, west of route 3A. I prefer the town of Hebron (to the south of Groton) as it is bounded by Newfound Lake.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Alstead is very rural, traditional New England town that has changed little over time. Groton, on the other hand, has seen some recent changes with a new wind farm built adjacent to the old Tenney Mountain ski area in Plymouth, west of route 3A. I prefer the town of Hebron (to the south of Groton) as it is bounded by Newfound Lake.

Good to know, looking forward to seeing them.

On a side note I've read on a a lot of different boards that people from New Hampshire tend to be self sufficient, survivalist types. Canning/ growing food, living off the land, etc. Is there any place you all know of to network with these types of folks? Would be nice to get to know like minded people up there.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:45 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Talking Self-sufficiency is more about surviving our winters than "Survivalism"

Yes, New Hampshire has it's share of survivalists and self-sufficiency advocates. There's not just one type, we still have some old-school granola hippies who got lost on their way to Vermont, various anti-government and anti-tax folk, and then the latest wave, the libertarians of the Free State Project (and the anarchists who use the FSP for cover).

Once you get outside the denser suburbs, there's a general mindset of moderate self-sufficient out of necessity (and Yankee frugality) rather than due to a hardcore "survivalist" mindset. With our minimal services, long winters and storm-associated power outages, self-sufficiency isn't a philosophy so much as a fact of rural life and a way to cut your food and heating bill.

Check out the Concord Cooperative Market and the various farmers markets. There are also a bunch of groups on meetups.com, and the like, including several focused on aquaculture, permaculture, etc. Also, depending what town you move to, there may be a local grange?

Old 08-10-2015, 07:41 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
liberals are not evil..some of my best friends are liberals
I know. I was quoting the OP.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:44 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon3154 View Post
What are you talking about? Manchester is actually pretty Republican. The further north you go more liberal it gets besides probably the Berlin area. You realize that the union leader is a pretty conservative paper? and Its out of Manchester. It's the Massachusetts transplant that want to escape liberal Massachusetts; they move to Manchester and other southern NH towns.
You're not following the thread. Look at the OP's requirements. It was sarcasm. Relax. Don't take everything literally.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
I know. I was quoting the OP.

-Re-reads original post-

Nope, you weren't

....anyway, up in New Hampshire now. Really like the Ossipee area. Will check out a few other things tomorrow before heading home. Will check in later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire