Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 09:54 AM

243 posts, read 887,220 times

Advertisements

My sister lives in Tucson and has found on two seperate occasions a baby rattler in her kitchen!!!!!!!!!!!! Then in Tucson and in Phoenix where my sister-in-law lives they have Palminto bugs and scorpions. In Albuquerque where I live there Rattlers, scorpions and Torantulas. No big deal as they are really seldom seen. We are moving to East Tennessee and my biggest fear is
" Brown Recluse". I understand they are all over the Tennessee. What precautions do people take in and around their homes as not to get bitten. I am so afraid they will crawl in my shoes at night or in my bed. I'm afraid to pack things and leave them as if they are undistrubed for awhile what will happen. Can someone ease my fear??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 09:59 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klosk View Post
My sister lives in Tucson and has found on two seperate occasions a baby rattler in her kitchen!!!!!!!!!!!! Then in Tucson and in Phoenix where my sister-in-law lives they have Palminto bugs and scorpions. In Albuquerque where I live there Rattlers, scorpions and Torantulas. No big deal as they are really seldom seen. We are moving to East Tennessee and my biggest fear is
" Brown Recluse". I understand they are all over the Tennessee. What precautions do people take in and around their homes as not to get bitten. I am so afraid they will crawl in my shoes at night or in my bed. I'm afraid to pack things and leave them as if they are undistrubed for awhile what will happen. Can someone ease my fear??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are rattlers and scorpions in TN too. Just not in the massive abundance that they are in the southwest US.

As for the recluse, just check your sheets, your clothes, etc before you hop in. Also check your bath towels, shoes, behind the bed as well. Just use some common sense and youll be ok.

If you want more info on recluses, Google Loxoceles reclusa.

I have many photos of recluses, Ill dig some up if I can find them.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:52 PM

100 posts, read 326,346 times
Ok.. I am a HUUUUGGGEEE wimp when it comes to bugs. I don't live in TN (yet) but I made sure to inquire about spiders. After getting some really great replies here on CD and from family members who live in Middle TN I summed everything up in a nice little "spider plan"

We are planning to move to Mt Juliet as soon as this darn house sells
So here's my plan - get the house sprayed at least ONE more time than the bug guy tells me to and be sure to tell him I want to see NOTHING other than humans living in my house I am buying a house with at least a crawl basement. I will be sure the trash lid is on tightly each day/night and I will not keep too much stuff "in storage" in the crawl space or attic or anywhere that the little disgusting things may hide out
In other words if I could have a spider proof suit, I would wear it ALL the time! LOL

I am still terrified of the black widows and brown recluse but let me tell you that the "regular" spiders seem to be on steroids in TN! I am determined not to let them keep me from my move to beautiful Middle TN!

I do know I have to learn more about those roach-type bugs that run around the garages and outside that are HUGE and sometimes fly... they are like dive bombers! LOL How do you control those??

By the way, I think the bugs one poster was referring to in the earlier post are "no see-ums". Avon Skin So Soft works well on those and mosquitoes too! The aerosol spray one works on ticks too! (FYI)

One bug I have to learn more about are those roach-type bugs that crawl around the garages and outside - some even fly like dive bombers! How are those controlled?

Last edited by LI2South; 09-21-2009 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: additional information

Old 09-22-2009, 07:19 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,279,529 times
LI2South, we spray outside the house twice a year with Home Defense. I was told to use this when we moved here 2 years ago. My neighbor also uses it inside his house. It's a great product. I don't like spiders/bugs either and this really does the trick.

Oh, we also put sticky bug traps in our garage by the sides of the garage door to trap anything that might try to enter.

For the life of me, I can't figure out the roach-type flying bugs you are talking about. I've never encountered something like that since I've lived here.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:56 AM

100 posts, read 326,346 times
Hi 46Barb, I was able to find out that the bugs I am talking about are also known as Palmetto bugs.

Thank you for the information! I had a bad experience staying at my aunt's house... they are not afraid of spiders and they were all along the eaves of their house with their webs... I felt like I had to run through the doorway for fear that they would fall on me! ICK! I was later told that there was "a million" black widows hiding under the overhang of their brick facade but they sprayed for them and they were now gone.

I know there are spiders and insects here where I live too - I guess it is just that I know how to deal with them here and where they hide out. I have to get used to the new environment and I will be fine with it.

Last edited by LI2South; 09-22-2009 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville