Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 03:51 PM

43 posts, read 46,648 times

Advertisements

Where does everyone go if there is a tornado watch, are there public shelters in Nashville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 08:12 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,718,896 times
Avoid windows. Go to the lowest floor, small center room (like a bathroom or closet), undet a staircase. One of the worst places to be is in a car. When they are saying there’s a warning and take cover then you really don’t have a lot of time, which is why you should be ready when they call the watch.

Old 03-26-2021, 07:25 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
You don't need to go to your shelter if there is just a tornado watch. A watch simply means that conditions are favorable for tornadoes to form. A warning means that a tornado has been spotted either via radar, by visual, or both. That is when it is time to take action (like what N.Cal listed above).

Buy a weather radio. It doesn't need to be fancy. You can get them for <$30 at places like Walmart. In the event that there is a power outage, a weather radio with a battery backup will alert you of any watches or warnings in your county.

Local television basically treats severe weather like the Olympics, so if there is any real threat, you can bet they will have excessive coverage. What is nice about the local news, though, is that they can really pinpoint the danger areas and the predicted storm tracks. This is useful when you are trying to go about your daily life...you don't need to shelter for hours if the dangerous part of the storm is 20-30 miles away on the other side of the county.

If you are not a TV person, then I would suggest getting a weather app for your phone (one of a local news station, especially). And then there are some limited resources on Twitter and YouTube like NashvilleSevereWx.

If you are in a car, and you know there is severe weather in the area, turn on a local radio station. The EAS (Emergency Alert System) will usually go off if there are any warnings in the listening area. Some stations (I think 102.9 still does this) will actually switch their radio broadcast to a local tv weather so you can at least hear the meteorologist talk about the weather. If you are in a car, and you are in immediate danger, don't park under a bridge -- it's a bad place to seek shelter. Find a substantial building you can get in...hopefully one without tons of glass.

In sum:

-Buy a weather radio

-If there is a tornado watch, turn on the local news or find some way to track the storms and (hopefully) have some commentary with somebody explaining what is happening with the weather.

-If there is a tornado warning, seek shelter ASAP.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:52 AM

Thank you!!

Old 03-26-2021, 11:14 AM

3,039 posts, read 3,308,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcletzgo View Post
Where does everyone go if there is a tornado watch, are there public shelters in Nashville?
Temporary shelters may be in gas stations, other stores. Get away from windows. The store may guide you into back areas to shelter with employees.

For more permanent shelters, consult with the Red Cross, Salvation Army, Nashville Rescue Mission.

Mostly people shelter in their dwelling. Find a lower floor interior area away from windows. A bathroom or laundry room may work. When the storm has passed, you need to have a way to get out.

You need a radio to be aware of watches & warnings, learning what conditions to watch for. TV/radio warnings can be as specific as your street. A tornado cloud is something you never forget. Lately the Nashville government has called my landline phone to be aware of flash floods & other warnings.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:50 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,087,991 times
Ditto the suggestion to follow @NashvilleSevereWX on Twitter. Community supported. Great group of people whose passion is the weather. They will tweet all through a storm, do hourly updates, more if needed, and go live on YouTube. They only cover Williamson and Davidson Counties so they are very focused, which the local TV stations are not, covering a much larger area. Plus, if cable or power goes out, you can still get Twitter on your phone. Also, lots of people who follow them share what is going on in their own neighborhood - Westhaven, Grassland - which I find comforting. Really, they were so helpful with yesterday’s storm. Tremendous local resource.

Old 03-26-2021, 03:19 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,544,806 times
@NashvilleSevereWx is the best source for all things Nashville weather.

In some areas they do have shelters. The city of Columbia posted shelters yesterday for folks living in mobile homes. If you aren't in a mobile home, just go to the most inside room on the lowest floor and wear a bike helmet and real shoes (not flip flops).

Old 03-26-2021, 04:04 PM

Thank you for the information

Old 03-27-2021, 06:42 AM

50 posts, read 36,612 times
I'm exhausted after watching several days of storms this week. I'm not sure I could live like this!

Old 03-27-2021, 08:19 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,718,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWx23 View Post
I'm exhausted after watching several days of storms this week. I'm not sure I could live like this!
And today is just getting started. They say tonight will be worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville