Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 02:41 PM

30 posts, read 147,667 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to relocate to the Nashville (Hendersonville area) some time this year, but I am becoming concerned about the tornados touching down in TN. Is anyone else concerned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 03:42 PM

427 posts, read 1,307,747 times
Nope. And I was in a building hit by the Gallatin tornadoes two years ago.

Life is risky. People tend to focus on things that are more newsworthy, and don't put various risks into a larger perspective. The odds of being hit by a tornado are far, far lower than having a car accident, a serious illness, being a victim of domestic violence, or a whole slew of things that are such a part of daily life that we don't even think about them very much.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:31 PM

101 posts, read 383,280 times
To be honest they're one of many reasons my family and I are leaving the area. I get so tired of sitting in a closet much of spring. Been here for 3 1/2 years and have never gotten used to the storms here. Off to the desert for us now! I know life is full of risks, but I am going to reduce my risk in this one area as soon as school lets out.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:41 AM

256 posts, read 888,687 times
mad fidder were you in the caudill hall at volstate?
jzizza I wouldnt let that stop me to moving to a great place...Ive been here 3 1/2 years and it still scares me when a storm hits, but i get over it.....

Old 04-14-2008, 06:57 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Nope, and I am in Hendersonville. More people die in bathtub accidents annually in the US than tornados.

Better shot of being hit by a car.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:20 AM

427 posts, read 1,307,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bran_smith View Post
mad fidder were you in the caudill hall at volstate?
jzizza I wouldnt let that stop me to moving to a great place...Ive been here 3 1/2 years and it still scares me when a storm hits, but i get over it.....

I was in the Ramer Building, hiding under a desk

I still get a little jumpy when huge storms come through, but just like you, I get over it. There's no place in the country that doesn't have some kind of weather risk.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:28 AM

35 posts, read 143,670 times
What do the schools do with the children during tornado watch/warning? My biggest fear is being separated from them during a terrifying time. I know it will happen but if I could help better prepare them it would help ease the fears. We are relocating very soon.... coming out there in two weeks for another preview and moving middle of June. I have only ever lived in California and the weather is perfect here... its everything else that stinks about California!

Old 04-14-2008, 10:03 AM

156 posts, read 451,144 times
I now live in Murfreesboro and it seems this particular area has not been hit by a hurricane in over 20 years. My sweetie has lived here nearly 30 years and has never experienced one.

As others stated, each area has it's risks. CA has the fires, earthquakes and the possibility for the pacific hurricanes. As others stated, the risk of the tornado are small compared to how car accidents are, slipping somewhere, etc.

As for the schools, I did on the TV on Friday that the Metro schools (I took that as being Nashville schools) went on lockdown, so no one could come in or out due to the storms.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:39 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,517,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvillefan View Post
To be honest they're one of many reasons my family and I are leaving the area. I get so tired of sitting in a closet much of spring. Been here for 3 1/2 years and have never gotten used to the storms here. Off to the desert for us now! I know life is full of risks, but I am going to reduce my risk in this one area as soon as school lets out.
Me too. I've been in TN for many years and have been in several tornadoes. My house has been heavily damaged in the past 3 storms. I've also been injured in a tornado and didn't think I was going to live through it.

Spring always has me jumpy, but if that's not bad enough, for the past couple of years we've had what they're calling a "secondary" tornado season in the winter.

I've had enough. I too am looking to move to the desert as soon as I can get my house sold (right now I'm working on the damages from the latest tornado)! I know there are risks everywhere, but my house seems to be a tornado magnet, so I'm getting out while I still can, LOL!

Old 04-15-2008, 10:06 AM

101 posts, read 383,280 times
Wow, that really stinks tnp! You do seem to be a tornado magnet huh? Yeah, the secondary tornado season..too much for me. Nashville doesn't have enough positives for me to stay and endure the tornadoes. Hope you get the damage repaired soon and get that house sold so you can head to the desert! Which state you looking in to?

As for someone say that there is no place that doesn't have weather risks, that's not necessarily true. The southwestern states have very little weather issues. Sure it gets hot, but you don't hear of people's homes being destroyed by horrendous heat. No earthquakes and rarely do they get tornadoes. If they do get one out there it is no where near the magnitude of the kind we get here. Anyway, to each his own. If I had known about the weather I might not have moved here (I'm not exactly sure WHY I didn't research that first, just made a blind move)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville