Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 05:43 PM

101 posts, read 383,159 times

Advertisements

Hey tnp- I'm pretty sure scorpions are just an AZ thing. I never saw one my whole time in NM. From all of my research and talking to people in AZ Scottsdale does seem to be a haven for the critters. Like being in the houses, yards etc. But everyone tells me to spray for the crickets and that keeps the scorpions away because the scorps eat the crickets.

Quote:
The southwest is nice, but....should we say, "The grass is always greener? (or brown?)"
This is true, but after having lived in both brown and green I'll take my brown. I'm starting to feel smothered by all of these trees and hills. I know people here love them, but just driving down 65 now I'm starting to feel closed in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 05:45 PM

TNP- Days like today are my favorite thing about TN! It was beautiful and not too hot, just right.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:47 PM

Camper3-where in Florida? We were getting ready to move to the Tampa area before my husband received a new job offer taking us out west. I was really looking forward to the beach and was even willing to put up with the lovebugs!

Old 04-17-2008, 06:08 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,515,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvillefan View Post
Hey tnp- I'm pretty sure scorpions are just an AZ thing. I never saw one my whole time in NM.
Cool! I was wondering about that. Glad to hear it. Between the lower priced housing and no scorpions, I'm leaning more towards NM now, although I'm still considering AZ too. I adore AZ!

Quote:
I'm starting to feel smothered by all of these trees and hills. I know people here love them, but just driving down 65 now I'm starting to feel closed in.
I love trees when it's not tick season (where I live there are more ticks in my trees than in the grass because of all the squirrels), and when it's not tornado season. My property is full of trees and I've lost a lot of them in storms already. I cringe every time there's a heavy wind and hope one doesn't fall on my house! One came close, but missed it by about 6 feet.

I'll miss the trees and the hills, but I also like cacti and tumbleweeds, and the great thing about AZ (and probably NM too), is that you only have to drive a couple of hours to get to trees, hills and snow.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:25 PM

71 posts, read 144,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
Very true. I've always felt "at home" in the southwest when I've visited Arizona, so I'm kinda partial to it. I love the desert and love the climate. I gave TN a good 28 years of my life though.
One of my best friends lives in Scottsdale and loves it.

Yeah, I've lived in Florida for decades and did love it. Ready for a change though -- just a natural course, I think. TN is on the list of possibilities.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:33 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,515,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper3 View Post
Yeah, I've lived in Florida for decades and did love it. Ready for a change though -- just a natural course, I think. TN is on the list of possibilities.
Florida is where I lived before I moved to TN. I lived in the panhandle area.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:21 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
"I wouldn't be too quick to judge those who didn't get out. They might not have had alternate shelter they could get to within 15 minutes."

I worked within minutes of Macon County for 5 years, have dozens of friends there, so I know where their emergency shelters were, and most could have gotten there in time. In addition, these were the same storms hitting near Memphis before 6 p.m. That night was no surprise at all. If I lived on edge of county, to be frank, I'd be watchful of what is hitting next county over. I am within 8 miles of Davidson County, so when Madison/Goodlettsville area is under the gun, my antenna is already up, as assuming it is moving 40 mph (stork track, not winds), it is 10-15 minutes away assuming it tracks in my direction.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:33 AM

71 posts, read 144,626 times
Quote:
Camper3-where in Florida? We were getting ready to move to the Tampa area before my husband received a new job offer taking us out west. I was really looking forward to the beach and was even willing to put up with the lovebugs!
I am in Orlando -- so we tend to have all the storms, whether it be a direct hit or the edge of moving storms.

Tampa is a nice area -- big and spreadout -- but the beaches are definitely a highlight. I will miss the beaches when we move out of Florida.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:13 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toristamps View Post
If you still decide to come here and it really worries you, get an older brick house (sturdier than new construction, IMO) with a basement.
If I may add to this since we've had a lot of tornadoes in my area this year (Atlanta) - even having one hit downtown...

Modern (1960s and newer) brick homes are typically just rows of bricks over a frame, or, a brick facade. They're not much studier than a wood frame house in even a moderate (F1/F2) tornado, although they will offer some extra protection against flying debris from coming through the walls. I believe toristamps is making reference above to older brick homes, meaning that the OLD ones are SOLID brick (or stone/cinderblocks, etc), and much more solid if done right. Those along with the basement option offer much better wind protection.

I would never ever live in a tornado prone area in a mobile home and I'm leery of even living in a stick frame house, too. My home here is luckily solid brick and it has missed damage where neighbors have had damage to their home's outer walls due to a couple of near misses in my area. So remember, brick is your friend, as are basements.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:26 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Hey tnp- I'm pretty sure scorpions are just an AZ thing.
FYI, certain breeds of them are found in Florida (they live in some of the Palm trees). A friend of mine owns a construction company and they do lots of Florida work and frequently find them on job sites. We also have small "wood scorpions" here in parts of Georgia that are typical found in wood piles, etc. They are small and the sting/venom is about the same as a bad bee sting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville