Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 08:59 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,233,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by statefan View Post
We lived in Hendersonville for 11 years before just moving to Austin at the end of May. Miss it already with all this rain central Texas is having. I never, in a million years, though we would have to worry about tornadoes, but after the storm in April of 2006, I changed my mind quickly. We were not damaged in any way,thank goodness, but it makes you realize that it can happen to you when it is that close. But do I worry about storms, no. It is just like anywhere, you just have to make plans, depending on what type of natural disasters you have wherever you live, you make plans and make sure everyone knows the plans.

Now bugs, in particular mosquitoes, are the worst! Dawn and sunset can be brutal. Make sure you keep plenty of bug spray around. The cicadas are HORRIBLE, but that is only once every 17 years!!

The Nashville area is a great place to live and raise a family!!! By the way, if you are visiting Nashville, check to see if there is a hockey game in town. Buy tickets and go to a Nashville Predators game. SAVE THE PREDATORS and keep them in Nashville. BUY TICKETS!!!!!!
The big story tonight is that there's a local group who are now bidding on the Predators. There's some "big money" in town; if they want to buy the Predators, they can.

Funny, the last time we had cicadas I worked at Palmer Plaza on West End. If you know the building there's a bridge between the building and the garage. To walk from the garage inside was like going through a cicada storm. I would "gallantly" help the young ladies across the bridge (they would hug me tightly and close their eyes as I walked them across). It was better than taking your girl to a scary movie! ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 02:34 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,088,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantingoutofAz View Post
HI Twiggy,

I don't live in Nashville but thought I would respond to your post because I see your posts all the time in the Phoenix forum. I too am in Phoenix, well actually Peoria, and am sick of the heat and wanting to get out. I always laugh when I read your posts because it sounds like you are very tired of the heat also. My husband and I have fallen in love with the Nashville area and are just waiting for our house to sell so we can move our four children away from here. Obviously with the housing market the way it is here it could be a while but we are hoping this will be our last summer here.

We have friends that live in a small town north of Nashville called Pleasant View. I have asked them the same questions you are posing here. The husband has lived in Nashville about 8 years and he says that he has yet to see a tornado. He has heard warnings but hasn't actually seen one. I don't think you will be running to your basement very often because of tornado warnings. I think in the research I have done there have maybe been two documented "bad" tornados where maybe there were a couple of fatalities and I think the last one was in the mid '90's.

Secondly, bugs!!! This is a very big concern of mine too. The question I asked our friends is will I be trading the constant sunscreen for constant insect repellant. The way I see it we have mosquitos here. I have seen them in my house. I don't think it is too much worse there. The thing that frightens me is ticks and lyme disease. I have researched this on the internet and it sounds like if your kids play in the woods, near cows or in leaves then comb them over and check for ticks. But just playing in the backyard of a subdivision it shouldn't be a problem.

If you are thinking of moving to Nashville and would like a native Phoenicians perspective feel free to message me. We have visited twice and researched many different areas of the US to move to and keep coming back to Nashville as the best choice.
Yes, hi, I am sick of Phoenix. I just can't take it anymore. My sister in law lives in Nashville and my husband and I write and sell country songs so Nashville has come up a lot on my husbands end. I myself want to go back to Massachusetts, cold I know, but I am sort of excited to see some snow. I think TN is a beautiful state, not to crazy about the downtown Nashville thing but some of the suburbs look nice. I was surprised how suburban it was though. After Phoenix, well Chandler, I am sort of sick of the burb thing. Do you like it, are you glad to make Nashville your home? The bugs I heard about are called "noseeums" by the way and they are not chiggers.
They have them in the south.
I am glad to have a "want to leave" friend out here! See ya on the forms. Feel free to P.M. me too.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:34 AM

Quote:
HI Twiggy,

I don't live in Nashville but thought I would respond to your post because I see your posts all the time in the Phoenix forum. I too am in Phoenix, well actually Peoria, and am sick of the heat and wanting to get out. I always laugh when I read your posts because it sounds like you are very tired of the heat also. My husband and I have fallen in love with the Nashville area and are just waiting for our house to sell so we can move our four children away from here. Obviously with the housing market the way it is here it could be a while but we are hoping this will be our last summer here.

We have friends that live in a small town north of Nashville called Pleasant View. I have asked them the same questions you are posing here. The husband has lived in Nashville about 8 years and he says that he has yet to see a tornado. He has heard warnings but hasn't actually seen one. I don't think you will be running to your basement very often because of tornado warnings. I think in the research I have done there have maybe been two documented "bad" tornados where maybe there were a couple of fatalities and I think the last one was in the mid '90's.

Secondly, bugs!!! This is a very big concern of mine too. The question I asked our friends is will I be trading the constant sunscreen for constant insect repellant. The way I see it we have mosquitos here. I have seen them in my house. I don't think it is too much worse there. The thing that frightens me is ticks and lyme disease. I have researched this on the internet and it sounds like if your kids play in the woods, near cows or in leaves then comb them over and check for ticks. But just playing in the backyard of a subdivision it shouldn't be a problem.

If you are thinking of moving to Nashville and would like a native Phoenicians perspective feel free to message me. We have visited twice and researched many different areas of the US to move to and keep coming back to Nashville as the best choice.
Yes, hi, I am sick of Phoenix. I just can't take it anymore. My sister in law lives in Nashville and my husband and I write and sell country songs so Nashville has come up a lot on my husbands end. I myself want to go back to Massachusetts, cold I know, but I am sort of excited to see some snow. I think TN is a beautiful state, not to crazy about the downtown Nashville thing but some of the suburbs look nice. I was surprised how suburban it was though. After Phoenix, well Chandler, I am sort of sick of the burb thing. Do you like it, are you glad to make Nashville your home? The bugs I heard about are called "noseeums" by the way and they are not chiggers.
They have them in the south.
I am glad to have a "want to leave" friend out here! See ya on the forms. Feel free to P.M. me too.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:13 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,233,677 times
"Noseeums" are actually midges. I don't think of them as being a problem in Nashville (actually, I think of them as more of a problem in some northern states). Maybe someone else has more information.

It kind of sounds like you're not going to like it here however. Perhaps another area such as Mass. would be more to your liking.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:16 PM

718 posts, read 2,362,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
The big story tonight is that there's a local group who are now bidding on the Predators. There's some "big money" in town; if they want to buy the Predators, they can.

Funny, the last time we had cicadas I worked at Palmer Plaza on West End. If you know the building there's a bridge between the building and the garage. To walk from the garage inside was like going through a cicada storm. I would "gallantly" help the young ladies across the bridge (they would hug me tightly and close their eyes as I walked them across). It was better than taking your girl to a scary movie! ;-)
I am trying to stay updated on all the Predators latest. Even though KC would be a lot closer to me, the Predators just do not belong anywhere else! I would do anything to help them stay, but being in central Texas, I can only watch the events unfold. Maybe catch a game or two in Dallas next season.

I still remember the season of the "cicadas". We drove from Mt. Juliet to Crossville to pick out a black lab. I think it was 1997, I can still remember driving down I40 at 80 mph, with the radio on and AC on, and still being able to hear those things "chirping" or whatever they did in the bushes, over everything. It was difficult to go outside period. They would fly and hit you upside the head in a second, and leave you wandering what the heck just happened. I can remember giving blood and getting a t-shirt with something like: Do it more often than cicadas!

Old 07-04-2007, 11:04 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,880,445 times
Hi Twiggy,

I'm in Phoenix, Arizona too and I am also thinking about wanting to move to Tennessee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Well the tornados are still a worry to me partly because I have no experience with that weather. I know our monsoons scare people, but aren't that big a deal so I am thinking it's the same kinda thing. I have 3 kids and a grandma to care for and I don't want to be running them to the storm cellar all the time. lol
As for bugs, Arizona has a lot of poisonous ones so I was wondering if you did to. We have scorpions, black widows and as far as snakes go you can find rattlers under your sinks in some of the subarbs, plus not really poisonous but a the large freaky tranchula is a startler! We find these in our yards and homes, not the woods, we have no woods in Phoenix. That is probably why they come in to live with us.
Been in AZ since I was ten so I am curious about other areas. The info on TN makes tornados seem very common and a post on here about a insect called can't be seen,or no sees, says she has to wear deet or something all the time. She said you can get them from sitting on the sidewalks! With 3 kids you can see why I ask, they will be on sidewalks and everything else.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:06 PM

Hello WantingoutofAz,

I'm in Arizona too and thinking about wanting to move to Tennessee as well.

Quote:
HI Twiggy,

Old 07-05-2007, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
Hello WantingoutofAz,

I'm in Arizona too and thinking about wanting to move to Tennessee as well.
Welcome to the club Autumn. TN doesn't sound bad and I am sure you get use to the weather. I know people get worried about monsoons and scorpions coming to AZ but I love the monsoons and I have never had a scorpion in my house, although friends have plenty in Tempe and Maricopa.(scary!) I bet it's the same way in TN. Just having to check it out because it seems to be having the same problems as Phoenix. Growing to fast, sprawl, subdivision galore and education is not rated that great. Housing is cheap, that was our problem too. We are visiting out there next month, I'll post when I get back!

Old 07-05-2007, 06:38 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,102,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post

That's funny. We get them here too and my kids were terrified of them! Everytime we would leave we would get bombarded and the kids would freak out. But, at the time I had an african bullfrog as a pet and would catch some to feed him. There were also cicada recipes that were posted in the newspaper (though I didn't try any!)

Old 07-05-2007, 03:34 PM

What Are CICADA'S?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville