Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:03 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,768,262 times

Advertisements

I have been listening to alot of Music from past decades and..
It just strikes me how much better Music used to be.
Todays music is filled with horrible Rap,next to no R&B,Depressing..
Meaningless Rock and Nashville factory Country(i miss anyone?lol)
Can there ever be a Beatles or Zeppelin again?Or a Stevie Wonder?
Dont get me wrong theres good music to be found and there was..
Some horrible music in the Past.But i think this generation is really..
Missing out on great music that previous generations had.
The last really big Rock band was Nirvana!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 11:10 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
The conglomeration of the recording industry is largely to blame. They really aren't interested in producing great art anymore, so much as "marketable product."

Old 07-17-2008, 01:24 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,247,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The conglomeration of the recording industry is largely to blame. They really aren't interested in producing great art anymore, so much as "marketable product."
I agree with this, anything goes in music these days, as long as it's sexual and/or has a dance beat to go with it.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:27 PM

205 posts, read 821,281 times
There's a lot out there that's not very good, and a lot of it is in the mainstream. I think there's a lot of really good music out there today, and it's much easier to find than ever before. I think people who are really interested in music seek out more varied bands these days, and the only ones who end up charting are the ones marketed to the masses.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:28 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,174,360 times
There are good artists in every genre of music. Every single one. The problem is, once a genre's been around for a while, it gets absorbed into 'the machine'. At that moment, it's not about talent anymore. It's all about your image and looks at this point. It would be dumb to blame any genre for what's going on right now because you can find good artists in each and every one. You just have to turn off your radio and look for yourself. Nobody should make an opinion of a genre just listening to it on the radio. I mean, just think about psychedelic rock/psychedelic pop. Even in those days, the singles put out by psychedelic bands were psychedelic pop used to sell the rest of the album which contained psychedelic rock songs. This happens in many genres.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:57 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
Im just so gratefull I grew up in the Hippy generation. I feel bad for young people today. They have no music. Instead they listen to bongo drums with ganster thugs and criminals bouncing with their their thumbs and pointer fingers aiming downword towards their jewels. While talking rhyming words telling eachother to kill their parents and the cops.

They will never know what real music is. They will never experience the emotions and meaningful camaraderie we all had with one another. They will never know what it feels like to sit in Madison Square Garden among 50,000 fans all holding a lighter up in the air as the lights go down. They will never know what it feels like to walk out of a concert and outside are vendors selling the black T-shirts with their band on it.

Crowds of complete strangers would form large circles outside the concert hall and while holding hands every one would sing the songs performed that night in perfect harmony. Then come Monday morning anyone who was at that concert would have their black concert T-shirt on. Everyone in school would know you were there when you wore your black shirt and a simple wink of the eye was always exchanged acknowledging "I was there too".

Today we have renamed the greatest music on earth. We added the word "classic" to the word rock. Classic Rock ! You will never ever see the word "classic rap" or "classic hippity hop" in the future. Mark my words. It ain't gona happen because it is trash now and it will be trash tomorrow.

How many thugs today can sing along to their twisted version of jungle music? How many can dance? All they can do is put their elbows out like they have wings and point their thumb and pointer finger at their you know what, which is nearly exposed because the waist of their pants are below it. Can anyone name a rap concert? There are few because no forum or city would have the sack to hold one. No city could afford the security to contain the little gansters. Besides those who listen to that crap are generally section 8 residents of the projects who couldnt afford a CD let alone a concert ticket.

Im sure glad I got to experience the greatest music on earth, the greatest generation on earth and the greatest times. That is by no means my or anyones opinion. That is a fact.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:25 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,450,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
They will never know what it feels like to sit in Madison Square Garden among 50,000 fans all holding a lighter up in the air as the lights go down.
Uhhh, sorry to throw water on your fire bud, but MSG does not seat 50,000 people........more like 20,000.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:32 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
We added the word "classic" to the word rock. Classic Rock ! You will never ever see the word "classic rap" or "classic hippity hop" in the future. Mark my words.
SKY.fm Classic Rap - Your Free Classic Rap & Hip Hop Station

Old 07-17-2008, 03:54 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times
actually desertsun41, there is such a thing as "classic hip hop". some people refer to it as old school hip hop or old school rap. off the top of my head, SugarHill Gang would be a good example of classic hip hop, maybe also Beastie Boys and Run DMC. heck, some may even consider Will Smith classic hip hop/rap, depending on your definition of classic.

I think today's music business is far too focused on creating that one perfect single, too focused on creating that once perfect club beat that they can play over and over and over again until your head blows up. the music business as a whole is down, but it makes cash selling these singles on places like iTunes, making ringtones, and just saturating the field w/ these singles. then you buy the album (or download it) and come to find out that the rest of it is junk. indeed, this is part of the reason why people started downloading music illegally in the first place! it's all about appeasing the masses, the masses who will help sell out concert venues, the masses that will buy the "accessories" like ring tones and remixes. what's happening w/ music today is similar to what's happening to movies. look at all the glitzy Michael Bay movies that come out! most popular music is like this, full of glam and action and hot girls shaking their butts on camera, but overall forgettable junk of little value. look at how prominent independent movies have become over the years, it's happening in music also, to a lesser extent.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:21 PM

18,221 posts, read 25,865,369 times
Regarding Northman's post of the capacity of Madison Square Garden, he is right. According to their website, they seat 19,763 for basketball and 18, 200 for football.However there is one thing to consider on Desert 41's guess of 50,000, and that is the people on the floor. I thought of events and one that popped in my head was the Concert for Bangladesh, the August '71 benefit concert organized by George Harrison of the Beatles. I pulled up Wikipedia on the concert and they give a crowd count of 40,000. 20,000 on the floor is an awful lot, but MSG is a huge, cavernous arena. Could be possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music