Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 04:23 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times

Advertisements

Uh, small error there. The 18,200 isn't for football,it's for hockey. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 05:22 PM

8 posts, read 13,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I have been listening to alot of Music from past decades and..
It just strikes me how much better Music used to be.
Todays music is filled with horrible Rap,next to no R&B,Depressing..
Meaningless Rock and Nashville factory Country(i miss anyone?lol)
Can there ever be a Beatles or Zeppelin again?Or a Stevie Wonder?
Dont get me wrong theres good music to be found and there was..
Some horrible music in the Past.But i think this generation is really..
Missing out on great music that previous generations had.
The last really big Rock band was Nirvana!
i totally agree. i miss the way music used to be.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:17 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
actually desertsun41, there is such a thing as "classic hip hop". some people refer to it as old school hip hop or old school rap. off the top of my head, SugarHill Gang would be a good example of classic hip hop, maybe also Beastie Boys and Run DMC. heck, some may even consider Will Smith classic hip hop/rap, depending on your definition of classic.

How can anything be classic if it is only a few years old? Sounds like a phony label to draw an audience.

Definition ofClassic: of the first or highest quality, class, or rank: a classic piece of work.

No way by any stretch of the imagination can hippity hop and all that silly child stuff ever be called classic. Not by a music connoisseur anyway.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:33 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,005,618 times
Eh who knows? Teens today will listen to the rap music they grew up with 20 years from now and their kids will say "You used to listen to that?"

Unfortunately my teen years fell in the 90's and I never cared for the hip-hop and rap styles others my age listened to. I couldn't stand how they use background music from older classic songs and just added obscenities, but that's just me.
Guess nobody in my age bracket likes The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, or any Motown sound.
(I type this out while listening to Billboard Top 100 of 1969 )

Old 07-17-2008, 07:42 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
I listen to pretty much everything that isn't mindless.

And yes, there is tons of hip-hop out there that isn't mindless. Being unaware of that doesn't make it any less true.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:46 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,649,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
How can anything be classic if it is only a few years old? Sounds like a phony label to draw an audience.

Definition ofClassic: of the first or highest quality, class, or rank: a classic piece of work.

No way by any stretch of the imagination can hippity hop and all that silly child stuff ever be called classic. Not by a music connoisseur anyway.
I like how you say something can't be a classic if it's only a few years old, and then proceed to give a definition of classic that has nothing to do with time at all.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
I like how you say something can't be a classic if it's only a few years old, and then proceed to give a definition of classic that has nothing to do with time at all.
Dont blame me. Blame dictionary.com. Thats where I got it from.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Regarding Northman's post of the capacity of Madison Square Garden, he is right. According to their website, they seat 19,763 for basketball and 18, 200 for football.However there is one thing to consider on Desert 41's guess of 50,000, and that is the people on the floor. I thought of events and one that popped in my head was the Concert for Bangladesh, the August '71 benefit concert organized by George Harrison of the Beatles. I pulled up Wikipedia on the concert and they give a crowd count of 40,000. 20,000 on the floor is an awful lot, but MSG is a huge, cavernous arena. Could be possible.
Thanks DOUBLE H. You guys are right. I know damn well MSG does not hold 50K, I should know. I been to more basketball games, college and NBA and more concerts then you can shake a stick at. I seem to recall in those days every Knicks game was a sell out and the total attendance was 19,000 and change. It does top 20,000 for a concert whereby the floor will have seating.

What was the attendance for Simon and Garfunkle in Central Park? Didn't that top 100,000? It was free !!!!

Dont matter. My point was every person in the audience would hold a lighter up as the lights went down and the feeling of "one" was overwhelming.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:29 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

well, we won't debate what what should be considered good classic music, since you have an obvious hatred of hip hop, but using that definition of "classic", I'd definitely stick by my picks of SugarHill Gang and others, since, while you may not consider them to be the highest rank of music, they were the cream of the crop in the hip hop genre back in the day. I can think of some rock songs labeled "classic" that I wouldn't think fit the textbook definition of classic.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:35 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
In my teen years radio hadn't yet splintered in a hundred different directions. Different types of music existed, for sure, but stations playing The Supremes and The Carpenters were also playing Cream, The Doors, Hendrix etc. Most listeners appreciated the variety; At least I did. It ain't the same today. Commercial stations play one type of music to a specific demographic (how business-like can you get?) and if artists that you'd like to hear can't be pigeon-holed, then you're out of luck. Thankfully, there's the web and indie stations. Bless 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music