Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 08:59 PM

351 posts, read 500,419 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on singers like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Rihanna, etc.?
What are your thoughts on rappers like Jay-Z, Kanye West, Drake, etc.?
How about on dubstep, music videos, or anything else?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 02:58 PM

878 posts, read 637,170 times
Well when I look at who is nominated for the CMA awards that will be handed out a week from the day after tomorrow, all that I can do is shake my head because all that I see are some of the most over rated acts in the country music format. Where is Brad Paisley, Kenny Chesney, Toby Keith, Trace Adkins, and LeAnn Rimes when they have all released new albums within the past twelve months?

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly (a day one fan of LeAnn and Trace)

Old 10-29-2013, 08:14 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,152,522 times
I have no regard for any of these people and most people on here do not either.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:32 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,144,810 times
I think the worst trend in music any more is that the single is ruling the business. No longer is an entire record of good songs needed to make it in the music business. I personally don't purchase singles and won't by an album without a good amount of quality songs. Good albums in mainstream music are becoming increasingly hard to come by.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:45 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,149,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty All View Post
What are your thoughts on singers like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Rihanna, etc.?

Rihanna - A sad story of a "good girl gone bad". Her song "Umbrella" has to go down as one of the best pop songs ever, but she was already going under a transformation to another oversexualized pop star.

Miley Cyrus - Probably the most obvious example of a female star exploited by the labels in her transition from child to adult star. Perhaps they're / she's trying too hard.

Katy Perry - Have to admit that her songs are often catchy, but often of morally doubtful lyrical content. The most attractive of female singers you mentioned, and seemingly the most benign.

Lady Gaga - She should shut her mouth about social issues, and her persona is repulsive, but she has cranked out good music from the start.

Rappers - Often the most repulsive of the bunch. Some of them own record labels which are provide the motive behind the sexualization of the female singers.

Dubstep - Can make an OK element of a song, but when the entire song is dubstep it becomes grating on the ears.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:35 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,349,451 times
Thinking of this it struck me that I may have crossed another generational rubicon. You spend the first part of your life thinking the world is in trouble because it's run by the older generation. Then you wake up to find that the world is in trouble because it's run by the younger generation.
About fifteen years ago I realized there had been a war between serious culture and pop culture. It had ended and Pop had won. Clearly. Trouble is I have no memory of that war taking place.
On the whole I'm against trying to say anything meaningful about music by just listing the names of performers rather than performances.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:28 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,955,040 times
Lady Gaga is an artist.
Katy Perry is pretty good.
Rihanna does nothing for me and never did.
Miley when she came out with Can't Be Tamed lost me. Now she sucks. I do have to say though Wrecking Ball is pretty catchy and actually good if you forget it is a Miley song.
Rap depends on who it is.
Dub-step is fine for what it is.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:18 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,152,522 times
Umbrella is loaded with Satanic imagery. Research, come back, and discuss.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:43 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,955,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Umbrella is loaded with Satanic imagery. Research, come back, and discuss.
So is Slayer's entire catalog. Your point?

Old 10-31-2013, 03:13 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,531,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty All View Post

• Lady Gaga - A talented songwriter and performer who is smarter and savvier than the average pop star but ultimately not enough to transcend the shallowness of her chosen genre. If she put more work into her music and less on her image, she could actually live up to her true potential.
  • Katy Perry - Like Lady Gaga minus the maturity, talent, and intelligence. All style and no substance. Some of the worst pop lyrics I've ever heard. A terrible performer with a terrible singing voice. The only 2 things Katy Perry has going for her are her good looks and a decent songwriting and production team (namely Dr. Luke and Max Martin)
  • Miley Cyrus - She doesn't have the talent to back up a long career. When her media buzz is over, she what exactly are we going to remember her for?
  • Rihanna - A performer who started out with a lot of promise and some good pop songs but who has slowly been declining with a series of uninspired albums and a descent into trashiness. Somebody please let her take a break from music! She looks and sounds tired and unhealthy. If she winds up in drug rehab, I called it first.
  • Jay-Z - Extremely overrated, but he did have enough classic songs to at least justify some of the hype. At this point in his career, he's coasting on his laurels.
  • Kanye West - Very talented producer, but should have stuck to production and not rapping. He has one of the most annoying personas of any music celebrity out there.
  • Drake - As a rapper, he sucks, as a singer he's okay.
It seems like we're in the middle of an EDM fad that's going on right now. Even alternative/indie bands seem to be caught up in this. All of the newer artists coming out now sound a lot like Foster the People (which for me is not a good thing). I think that a lot of this synth-based music is going to sound horribly dated in a few years (some of it already does). I'm eagerly awaiting the return of guitar-oriented music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music