Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 07:56 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,696,239 times

Advertisements

Paranormal Activity 4, althought I hid my eyes for abuot 85% of it!! LOL

Old 10-23-2012, 08:12 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,469,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

The Intouchables Official Trailer #1 (2012) HD Movie - YouTube

"The Intouchables" a fantastic film, the acting is superb, this is a very irreverent, non PC film but also tender, poignant and uplifting and life affirming. Could have veered into the schmaltzy and sentimental but does not. It does lose a little in translation but nonetheless an absolute joy , an ode to life and friendship and living to the full.

Gloriously performed and shot and a subject which could have been somber and depressing, handled with a deft touch and a lot of humour.

A little gem of a film. Joyous and rumbunctious it slaps you on the back and embraces you with a big bear hug. Every single person leaving the cinema was smiling and I have not met one person yet who did not enjoy it. Loved it ! Francois Cluzet impeccable as usual but the real star is Omar Sy who simply explodes on the screen and mesmerises you with his presence.
I've remember hearing a lot of good things about this film a while ago, but I couldn't remember if it was on dvd or coming to the theater. I might have seen a clip when I was watching another film. I will have to look it up again.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:19 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,656,687 times
Watched the doc "Happy" this afternoon. It was good.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:52 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,636,683 times
I went to a local showing of a Romantic Comedy made by one of our local little Villages and it was a lovely, heartwarming and cute little story and very professional considering most of the cast if farmers and assorted locals.

It premiered in Leicester Square London though and all 900 villagers were there including a couple of tractors ! Loved it, it was made with virtually no budget and mostly no professional actors at all ( the lead man is actually an investigative journalist who did an expose on "Abercrombie and Fitch"). The catering was all done by the local Women's Institute . It has now got a limited release licence to be in US cinemas ( small Art ones obviously).

Tortoise in Love - YouTube

Old 10-25-2012, 07:30 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,245,536 times
^ Seems very nice! I wish they had subtitles though, the accent is a bit hard to understand sometimes

I just watched Ju-on but I didn't really like it. There was virtually no plot and it wasn't that scary either.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:43 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,389,642 times
I started the first season of Ugly Betty. Very over the top but somehow cute

Old 10-26-2012, 03:57 AM

1,741 posts, read 4,577,481 times
Rock of Ages...I know it may be bad, but I just cannot get enough of it.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:07 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,245,536 times

Very nice but sad movie

Old 10-26-2012, 06:04 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Immortals.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:12 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,353,227 times
Limitless, a 2011 film with Bradley Cooper. Cooper is a brilliant actor I've just discovered. It's nice to see since there are so many bad scripts, awful movies & actors which make one believe they must have paid their way into a role, because they couldn't possibly have made it on obvious meager talent. He reminds me of Matthew McConaughey in that he can maintain a down-to-earth quality with charisma, whilst being impossibly handsome from some angles & perfectly dorky in others... makes me like him all the more.

The plot is refreshingly different & can be an overlay for any sort of addiction... basically, he finds a pill that isn't FDA approved, which makes one a super version of oneself. Problem? Rebound effect, a group of heavies who want to covet it, amongst others. One could substitute any addictive substance of choice for the premise, so it is a commentary on real-life substances which make one feel superior, in general. It's fast moving with thrilling scenes, has interesting cinematography in a quasi sci-fi realm & great acting all around.

Bit of a Hollywood ending, but I can forgive it for the action packed scenes which held my attention all the way through. Di Niro performs his annoying gravitas walk-through of late for a hefty paycheck, which is the only major disappointment.

Absolutely 5* out of 5. I'll be buying the DVD & hope there's a commentary.

Limitless (2011) - IMDb

Note: I don't believe the trailer does the movie justice... almost skipped it because of it.

Earlier this month, I also saw Bradley Cooper in one of his first major movie roles that surprised me. I dismissed him in the past as I'm not interested in Hangover & Wedding Crasher type movies, because I'm not a 17-yr old lad. I've also never been a slasher film fan, but in lieu of the season was looking for a Halloween-type movie to keep me entertained whilst packing.

This 2008 movie is called Midnight Meat Train, based on a Clive Barker short story with Vinnie Jones, former UK footballer, who is an acting surprise (with a face made for horror film & street soldier heavies) & can be seen in Guy Ritchie films. On the other hand, the only throw-away role was Brooke Shields, one of the least talented, most vacant actresses I've ever seen.

Brad's a night time photographer who runs into a bit of trouble with a serial killer, as you'd guessed, on a train. Bloody as all get out, but there is actually a plot akin to the 1977 movie The Sentinel... toss in a bit of Barton Fink for good measure. I'd have loved it far more had it left out a majority of the very explicit gore... long ending akin to what one might find if filmed in an abattoir.

Interesting plot, great acting, too gorey for mainstream audiences. Solid 3* out of 5... low points only for 20-min ending replete in hemoglobin/bone-hacking overload.

Midnight Meat Train (trailer) - YouTube

Happy Halloween, Everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies