Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 12:00 AM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
"Inside Job"-recommend it. Explains the economic meltdown in terms that are understandable. Why the people who caused it aren't in prison is beyond me....
I knew most of sh.t in that documentary (I guess?). People who ruin the country and the world to that extend and get to live a wealthy life is mind-boggling. They really need to put a group of "cleaners" together and clean the society from these greedy scumbags. Now that would be a most welcomed way to spend taxpayers hard earned money imho!

Old 03-15-2011, 12:04 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,682 times
Bridge To the Sun

A B&W movie about an American Woman who marries a Japanese Diplomat during WW2. Based on a true story and actually quite good.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:57 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,853,436 times
Just got done watching The Good Heart (2009) - IMDb on Netflix. I really wanted to like it because I like Paul Dano and Brian Cox but I just couldn't. The ending was so depressing and not what I was hoping for. Still well acted and filmed though. 5.5-6/10 stars

Old 03-17-2011, 07:21 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Saw a few flicks this past weekend:

The Next Three Days - Disappointed, I felt it wasn't what they portrayed in the trailer. I expected more action and both my husband and I felt like the movie dragged on at certain points.

Dinner For *******s - Movie was predictable, but I wasn't expecting much. Steve Carell just cracks me up.

Faster - Liked this movie! Loved seeing Dwayne Johnson playing a different, grittier role. (Heck, I love just seeing Dwayne Johnson in general. ) And I want that car!!!!!

Old 03-17-2011, 10:03 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,191,458 times
Watched "Conviction" last night, and it was excellent!

Old 03-17-2011, 11:28 PM

553 posts, read 1,545,152 times
I just saw a very profound and deep movie called, "Mother and Child" made in 2009 with Samuel L. Jackson, Naomi Watts, Annette Bening and a bunch of other good actors. I think I probably cried all the way through it, but it was really worth watching. I can't believe I have never heard of it before. It was on Demand and I just wanted some background noise while I cleaned house. It was so good I ended up just watching it instead.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:10 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,308 times
Ballast: Great movie set in Mississippi delta where one man's suicide affects thee people's lives.

Notes On a Scandal: Starring Cate Blanchett. A veteran high school teacher befriends a younger art teacher, who is having an affair with one of her 15-year-old students. However, her intentions with this new "friend" also go well beyond platonic friendship.

Alexandra's Project: Steve is a man who has it all, a successful career, wonderful children, beautiful home and a loving wife. However, returning to his home after work on his birthday, he finds his house deserted and darkened with almost all the lightbulbs missing, all easy access outside cut off and a videotape waiting for him. Playing that tape, he watches a bizarre and grueling recording in which his wife explains her grievance with him, her reasons for disappearing with the children and her revenge for how he treated her in a way he would never forget.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:27 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,870 times
The Man From Nowhere a 2010 South Korean film that won tons of awards that year. It was incredibly touching for a martial arts flick.

Reminded me a little of The Professional, with the usual hardened, tight-lipped stranger who against his better judgement, goes off to save a little girl.

Enjoyed every minute of it, might be too violent for some though. Lots of blood, stabbing, broken bones.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:16 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Skeletons, on TWC On Demand. Didn't know anything about it, no reviews on RT but decent audience likes. Concept sounded interesting.
Not sure what to say. Concept is interesting but the movie didn't do that much for me. I looked at a few more links and I think it won some British indie awards? Had good stars on IMBD.
Not sure what I'm missing.
Takes place in Scotland, two primary characters whose job it is to "exorcise" or really figure out what people are hiding via some gadgets and...um.....psychic ability? Job as in they work for a company and apparently this is an accepted reality in this view of the world.
One of those very sparse feeling sort of UK films. Slow which is fine. Interesting but not....yea I don't just didn't reach some threshold for me personally. Was surprised to realize that the Colonel was Mr. Malfoy with dark hair and a different raspier voice. I've certainly spent a worse 5.00
I do wish I could figure out if there's a way to have captioning on TWC OD, I'm pretty good with accents but between the soft mumbles and accents it can be challenging.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:29 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,387,901 times
Shutter Island -5 out of 5 points
How to tame your dragon - 5 out of 5 points. From time to time I enjoy such movies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies