Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 11:11 AM

378 posts, read 246,705 times

Advertisements

I don't know what frightened me more, Slimer opening his mouth in Ghostbusters or Jamie Lee Curtis screaming in Halloween. I had so many nightmares of Slimer in the Sedwick Hotel or when Jamie Lee Curtis runs onto a neighbor's front porch screaming “help me please” and they turn on the lights and look out the window at her and then turn the lights back off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2022, 01:30 PM

22,354 posts, read 29,476,635 times
I still can't wait The Thing or the Exorcist without using a blanket near my eyes lol

Old 10-18-2022, 10:53 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,920,036 times
The scariest thing that I ever watched wasn't a movie. It was an episode of the Twilight Zone called Eye of the Beholder (1960).

I was 14 when it first ran on TV. The reveal of those horrible faces scared the crap out of me.

To this day I can't watch it or think about it without shuddering.

Youtube isn't showing full episodes. Here's the part that did it to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WdtAj8jYMM

Old 10-18-2022, 11:00 AM

5,660 posts, read 3,167,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
The scariest thing that I ever watched wasn't a movie. It was an episode of the Twilight Zone called Eye of the Beholder (1960).

I was 14 when it first ran on TV. The reveal of those horrible faces scared the crap out of me.

To this day I can't watch it or think about it without shuddering.

Youtube isn't showing full episodes. Here's the part that did it to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WdtAj8jYMM
Oh I remember that episode! And it was scary! There were a couple of other episodes that scared me bad too. The one that had Billy Mummy in it, and he was this bratty kid that all the grownups were afraid of because if he got mad, he'd "send them away." So they'd always pussyfoot around him and let him do whatever he wanted.

And then another one I kind of remember...there were some people that lived in caves (I think) and people who lived outside the caves. The people who lived IN the caves were safe from the others, and like maybe there had been a radioactive event...because the people who lived OUTSIDE the cave had these big kind of buggy eyes, and those buggy eyes scared the bejesus out of me.

Old 10-24-2022, 04:53 PM

378 posts, read 246,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
1, wait until dark with Audrey Hepburn and Efrem Zimbalist jr .
2. When a stranger calls the original with carol kane and Charles durning
3. Silver Bullet with Gary Busey and Megan Fellowes and Cory Haim
4. The original Halloween . we had to go with my oldest sister cause she was the only one who had my parents permission to drive the car and when she was taking us all home a girl that lived way up on a hill asked all of us to go into the house with her and check it out but while on the way up the hill another girl got her hair caught in a tree limb and started screaming and my sister blurted out Im never taking you babies to a scary movie again . I don't think she ever did .
I had bad memories of watching Halloween too. It and Ghostbusters (when Slimer appears) gave me nightmares.

Old 10-25-2022, 03:46 AM

19,732 posts, read 20,281,285 times
This is probably the only movie I can think of that has really "scared" me. Something about all the high tension and the soundtrack, everything just culminates so perfectly. This movie physically makes my skin crawl, and that left a lasting impression with me. Just knowing that crazy people actually exist out there.. There's probably one watching me right now. QQ

When A Stranger Calls (1979) Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVAx84hpo-c

(And I love that Super Fly is in this movie! )

I'm pretty unfazed by slasher/gore flicks, I grew up on 80s horror, so I need "more". A great storyline and total mindfreak always sells it for me.

Old 10-28-2022, 04:35 PM

34,077 posts, read 17,129,438 times
The Front scares me as it was so true. Many of the cast were actually blacklisted during the McCarthy era.

Old 10-31-2022, 10:07 PM

2,229 posts, read 775,949 times
The Excorsist (1973)

Amityville 2: The Possession (1982)

The Amityville Horror (1979)

Old 11-05-2022, 05:06 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,924,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
When it comes to scary movies, I prefer tension and suspense to blood and guts. However, the movies I picked are not without a bit of gore here and there.

The original The Haunting. Mental instability, a creepy old house, and evil spirits--definitely can haunt a person.

The Changeling. (based on a true story that happened in Denver.)
It's the only time I ever really saw my husband jump in his seat at a theater.

Jaws Yes there is blood and teeth and all that good stuff, but to me the scariest parts are when the camera is moving along from the shark's point of view.
We saw this first run at older theater in Houston that had the upstairs balcony turned into a separate theater…had wooden floor and rows were pretty close to the screen
The scene where the child’s wheelchair comes hurtling down the stair case scared everyone but the man sitting two or three rows in front of us actually came out of his seat and tried to run out of the theater
He slipped on the polished wood floor and fell flat on his face—
And most of the people didn’t even pay attention to him because they were glued to the screen
We only noticed because we were on the aisle and he fell right in front of us…
Very. Scary. Movie.

Old 11-13-2022, 05:25 PM

8,351 posts, read 2,974,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
I saw it opening night and people were laughing through the movie. When it ended people were pissed at how crappy and NOT scary it was. The hype surrounding the film was better than the actual film. The fake documentary and website were scarier. It was definitely an over hyped piece of crap.
Ditto. Blair Witch was one of the few movies I ever walked out on. All that camera movement gave me a headache and there was nothing scary about it.

“Overhyped POC” is an understatement.

No offense and to each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies