Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 11:06 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,197,391 times

Advertisements

The Night Porter. There's a great scene with Charlotte Rampling dressed in an SS uniform singing a haunting German song.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 11:25 PM

146 posts, read 437,586 times
Chainsaw Massacre 70's 80's 90's and 2000 along with the beginning one they came out with, and Saw 1234&5. They all had me trembling and chattering throughout the entire movie

and before I rode planes, turbulence was also pretty scary along with Passenger 57. Highjacking...frightening

I had nightmares about chainsaw about 3 or 4 times...1 is enough!

Old 12-05-2008, 06:33 AM

5 posts, read 8,014 times
Audition - surreal at times with a genuinely disturbing climax
Texas Chainsaw Massacre - original from Tobe Hooper.
The Exorcist - lost its power to shock over the years but the first time I saw this at a young age I was suitably disturbed.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:35 AM

515 posts, read 1,330,142 times
Red Dragon was one that stands out to me.

Excorcist didn't, and still doesn't scare me! I never understood why people found it so terrifying...

Also, War of the Worlds scared me, but not in a terrifying monster sense, just in a natural disaster scare sorta way.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:02 AM

163 posts, read 390,804 times
Saw 11- I walked out the theatre twice
Stir of Echos-Love the movie but it is creepy
Flatliners
The virgin suicides

Old 12-07-2008, 09:04 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,171,725 times
Oh gosh...several years ago I got a foreign film at the library with subtitles. It was interesting until all of a sudden they started showing body parts in this person's kitchen sink. I was eating a ham sandwich and even today.... I still can't eat a ham sandwich because it reminds me of that horrid scene in the movie. I never rented a subtitle film again.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:57 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,353,707 times
"perfume"

Old 12-07-2008, 11:04 AM

18,009 posts, read 27,453,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
"Hannibal"-the scene where Hannibal Lecter feeds the guy pieces of his own brain (sautee'd!) is stomach-turning, to say the least!
I'm sorry. I must be kind of twisted or something because I thought that was one of the funnier scenes in the Red Dragon series.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:48 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnEllise View Post
The virgin suicides
This was a fascinating book and, in its own way, a creepy, haunting movie.
A lot of people didn't get it, though.
Perfume was pretty good! Well worth seeing, and disturbing in its own way.
I can't see Saw, or Red Dragon, or any of that kind of stuff. Way too horrifying.
I did *read* Red Dragon and other Lector books and that was plenty for me.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:46 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,238 times
I don't know about an entire movie being disturbing, but there are some scenes in movies that truly do get to me;

1. In "Nashville" (a great movie if you haven't seen it) the scene where Ronee Blakely is going to start her "comeback tour" by singing at a county fair. The band plays the intro, she starts singing, then stops singing and just starts talking to the audience about random stuff, the band starts again and she does the same thing again. Then you realize she is having a complete breakdown onstage in front of this crowd of people.

2. In "Band Of Brothers" (probably the best or second best war film ever) in the episode titled "Crossroads", Capt. Winters has about 1/2 the company lined up in a ditch getting ready to attack a German position of unknown strength. He passes the word to "go on the red smoke", the tosses out a smoke grenade, which kind fizzles for a couple of seconds, a couple of troops start out of the ditch they're in and a Lieutenant grabs one guys arm and says; "he said go on the red smoke".

The grenade sits there for about 8-10 seconds and the entire time Capt. Winters is running BY HIMSELF toward the unseen German lines. By the time the grenade goes off he's about 80-100 yards ahead of the rest of his men. Even though the movie is 7 years old, and this happened in the winter fall of '44, and I know that Dick Winters is still alive (or was the last I heard) I always get a knot in my stomach when I watch it.

3. In "Memphis Belle" when the co-pilot (I think it's Billy Zane) wants to go fire the guns at the German fighters, he hits one of them and the FW rolls over and slices through the fuselage of another B-17, for a little bit there's the sound of the radio operator on that plane as the fuselage parts spin out of control and then just a loud static screech.

golfgod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies