Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 07:42 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,678,206 times

Advertisements

I watched 10 minutes of it. Where was it held? Awful. Plus, keep it to acting. I only saw a little and everything is political. No reprieve anywhere it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 07:59 AM

3,263 posts, read 3,221,257 times
Watched a little and it looked sad, people spread out, in large booths or at tables. Didn’t seem like a star studded production; reminded me of my sales conferences when they gave out awards to the top sellers.

I saw the octopus movie won Best Documentary Feature and I was happy about that; it was the only movie nominated that we saw. Also had streamed Hillbilly Elegy and felt Glen Close was deserving of her Best Supporting Actress nomination.

Agree the speeches are too long. And not all that interesting or informative.

Old 04-26-2021, 08:37 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,672,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I didn't watch it either, but I do know that several blogs I read seemed to find it incredulous that Anthony Hopkins beat out Chadwick Boseman for Best Actor.

Just because someone is AA and has passed away does not mean that they should give the award for best actor to him rather than a better acting performance in that year from another actor. This virtue signalling really gets old.

Old 04-26-2021, 08:42 AM

I don't think I have seen any of the movies. Tried watching one or two online but gave up after a few minutes.

Any movie that people here really liked. For reference, I really liked Glenn Close performance in the Good Wife a couple of years ago.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:12 AM

50,942 posts, read 24,450,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Just because someone is AA and has passed away does not mean that they should give the award for best actor to him rather than a better acting performance in that year from another actor. This virtue signalling really gets old.
But on the other hand, do you think that the fact that Hopkins is 83 years old was part of why he got the award?

Old 04-26-2021, 09:26 AM

16,428 posts, read 12,552,215 times
Oh, I was also disappointed that they moved the performances of the Best Original Song nominees to the "pre-show". I feel like the performances are needed to break up the monotony of the awards.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:43 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,332,983 times
Boring, movies no one watched, virtue signaling pomposity about real and important issues by actors - as a show, wouldn't watch it again.

Real activists must be delighted that a movie star would put on her boots for them.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:47 AM

6,832 posts, read 9,389,012 times
I lost interest in movies in general over the past couple of years. I can think of a number of things that are a better use of my time, especially when considering how many of the celebrities feel the need to lecture everyone on political issues.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:50 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,623,311 times
The show felt odd, and I couldn't get into it, so I only saw parts as I flipped back and forth. I think this year it was more like a regular awards ceremony (like the hospies!) for the industry people rather than for a television audience. It seemed more like what the Oscars were before the ceremonies were televised.

If anyone hasn't seen Minari yet, I watched it a few days ago and loved it, so I highly recommend it! It was a real love letter to America. I'm surprised the female lead didn't get nominated, but am glad the "grandma" won.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But on the other hand, do you think that the fact that Hopkins is 83 years old was part of why he got the award?

Agree that he should nto get the award due to his age alone, if his performance in this movie was not the best of the best even though he is a great actor. But then he has won previously for the Silence of the Lambs and this is a not a consolation price for him before it is too late.

Some actors and actrsses just disappear into the role that you do not think of them as actors any more. Hopkins is one of them. Frances McDormand is another. I also love Judi Dench, who makes acting so effortless ( she was superb in Philomena, and it was a shame she did not win an Oscar for that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies