Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 11:52 AM

50,941 posts, read 24,441,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
You watched?! WHY?? Rename it the Woke Awards and toss it in the trash.
I actually was working on my computer, and had it on in the background. When something sounded interesting I got up and watched for a few minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 11:53 AM

I just don't think not having a comical host works. It's been a long tradition.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:00 PM

16,428 posts, read 12,549,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
within the first few seconds when the host, don't remember her name, said something of getting her marching shoes on, I thought, oh no, i'm not doing this.
Just because your a movie star, keep your political opinion to yourself, and that was not the place to broadcast it.
that was a major turn off.
She wasn't the host. There wasn't a host. Just a series of presenters.

Just because she's a movie star doesn't mean she has to keep her opinion to herself anymore than you do. First Amendment and all. You don't have to listen.

One thing people forget is that for centuries, art has always been a catalyst for change. That's not going to stop just because you disagree with the change they're seeking.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:02 PM

1,950 posts, read 706,159 times
I saw parts of it. It looked more like a private party rather than The Oscars. The good thing about it - there seemed to be
less celebrities there. I thought the Korean lady who won best supporting actress was the best part. She had an
innocent charm. The best supporting actor surprised me - not because he won - I thought he was an American actor, not
British! Was he in Big Momma's Black Bottom?

Always political, rarely entertaining. I looked at the In Memoriam section on Youtube. What a shame! If they say your
life passes in the blink on an eye - some lives sure do!!

I like Frances and it's fine that she likes being casual. But would she show up to her son's wedding looking like that? She
could make a little more of an effort. And Brad Pitt should have cut his hair. If you're handsome, you don't have to look like a bum.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:27 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,781,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The In Memoriam segment was horrible. I know the Academy often gets flack for not including everyone, but it was aggressively fast. If they wanted to do it rapid-fire, they should have kept the names and photos in the same spot. Every time a photo switched, I found myself scanning the screen to try and find a name before it disappeared, and by then I didn't get to see the photo. I think I got whiplash watching it!
Yeah. No clips. No lingering shots. And I didn't like the uptempo music either. Too fast, too upbeat and not respectful at all. I shook my head in disgust after it was over and said "boo". Bad. Just bad.

I found the whole thing just irreverent. Like a high school production for all it's irreverence. Too jovial. Too jokey. Too... blech.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:31 PM

37,660 posts, read 46,092,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
As for me...the worst ever. May never watch again.
Didn't see any of it. Really not interested this year.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:35 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,781,642 times
Quote:
But the worst of all was the decision to change the order of the final four awards!! WHY would they give out Best Picture before Best Actress and Actor?!? Especially with the Best Actor winner being absent, it made for a horribly anticlimactic end.

I really hope next year is better!
They were gambling on the fact that Boseman would win the best actor and there would be a huge speech. Instead...Hopkins (who wasn't even present) won instead! You can't make this stuff up. They gambled and ..lost.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/26/enter...oss/index.html

Old 04-26-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
She wasn't the host. There wasn't a host. Just a series of presenters.

Just because she's a movie star doesn't mean she has to keep her opinion to herself anymore than you do. First Amendment and all. You don't have to listen.

One thing people forget is that for centuries, art has always been a catalyst for change. That's not going to stop just because you disagree with the change they're seeking.
I think that's a healthy way of looking at it.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:52 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,029,320 times
Slow, choppy, disjointed.

To be fair, I think many of us (I am) are beyond sick of these COVID-era alternate formats for shows like this.

Old 04-26-2021, 01:18 PM

5,759 posts, read 4,723,152 times
My wife and daughters like to watch the oscars.

But even they turned it off after about 40 minutes.

Just to show you how bad they thought it was, they came and joined me to watch the Padres/Dodgers game.

That's how bad the oscars were!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies