Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 06:46 AM

16,428 posts, read 12,552,215 times

Advertisements

For those of you who are interested in the Oscars, do you have any thoughts about the nominations? (Yes, I know there are plenty of you who think the Oscars are ridiculous. That's fine. Lucky for you, no one is forcing you to watch the films or the award show.)

https://oscar.go.com/nominees

I'm a bit behind in my movie watching this year, so I've only seen one of them so far (Little Women). It was good, but not Oscar worthy. Frankly I think Greta was more worthy of a directing nod than the firm for Best Picture.

I'm most looking forward to seeing 1917 and Parasite. I've heard they're both marvelous. Parasite in particular, which I've heard people say is the film that should win, but probably won't.

PSA for anyone who lives near a Regal Theater, you may want to look into the Best Picture Festival Pass ... you can see 7 of the 9 movies (not the two on Netflix) for $35. (You can also get a small soft drink/popcorn combo for $5 each visit) It's an excellent deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 07:05 AM

22,940 posts, read 28,327,427 times

Old 01-14-2020, 07:10 AM

And like I said, you're not being forced to watch.

So unless you have any thoughts on the films that have been nominated ...

Old 01-14-2020, 07:10 AM

22,940 posts, read 28,327,427 times
"I can't stand all that. I find it nauseating to watch and I think it's disgusting to behold. People groveling around and kissing the backsides of famous producers and all that. It makes me want to throw up, it really does. It's sick-making. I've seen it so many times. I saw it fairly recently, last year. Some great producer-mogul and everyone kisses this guy's backside. I think, "What are they doing? Don't they have any self respect?" I wanted to say, "**** off." (Sir Anthony Hopkins)

“The Academy Awards were basically created by the industry to promote pictures. They weren’t really to acknowledge the performances. Then it became sort of this a great popularity contest and now, it’s an incredible show and it’s seen all over the world. But the strain on us to put ourselves up against other people to think that it’s some sort of a contest -- and it isn’t a contest -- we’re all in this together.” (James Cromwell)

“It’s not about if you’re good or bad, it’s about whether you are wearing the right clothes that day. Who cares?” (Julie Delpy)

Old 01-14-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
"I can't stand all that. I find it nauseating to watch and I think it's disgusting to behold. People groveling around and kissing the backsides of famous producers and all that. It makes me want to throw up, it really does. It's sick-making. I've seen it so many times. I saw it fairly recently, last year. Some great producer-mogul and everyone kisses this guy's backside. I think, "What are they doing? Don't they have any self respect?" I wanted to say, "**** off." (Sir Anthony Hopkins)

“The Academy Awards were basically created by the industry to promote pictures. They weren’t really to acknowledge the performances. Then it became sort of this a great popularity contest and now, it’s an incredible show and it’s seen all over the world. But the strain on us to put ourselves up against other people to think that it’s some sort of a contest -- and it isn’t a contest -- we’re all in this together.” (James Cromwell)

“It’s not about if you’re good or bad, it’s about whether you are wearing the right clothes that day. Who cares?” (Julie Delpy)
Again ... you're not being forced to watch. Not sure why you're having trouble with that.

Have you seen any of the movies? What are your thoughts?

Old 01-14-2020, 07:19 AM

7,245 posts, read 4,567,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm a bit behind in my movie watching this year, so I've only seen one of them so far (Little Women). It was good, but not Oscar worthy. Frankly I think Greta was more worthy of a directing nod than the firm for Best Picture.
I think that is the story this year. I think the academy grabbed its proverbial *you know whats* and told the SJWs that they weren't giving in. That merit carries the day. I heard so much talk about J-lo and I thought it was disgusting. No way she EVER gets a best actress nod. But not for hustlers. Greta Girwig is all hype. I haven't liked anything she has done. Personally I think the Oscars are tanking ratings wise because they have been failing to nominate quality and with the Mirimax scandle people are losing interest.

I don't think Joker is going to win but I would love to see it. I think it would truly be groundbreaking. Not only that it is a "comic" book film, but also with its heavy themes about the 1% and the cruelty of the elites who like to pretend they are helping the poor I think it would send a larger message. I think Joaquin will win for best actor.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:28 AM

I definitely think Joaquin has it locked up. I haven't been in a hurry to see Joker, but I've been told it's not very comic book-y (other than involving a comic book character, so I may end up enjoying it. I'm kind of hoping Renee doesn't win for Judy. Admittedly, I haven't seen it, but from the clips I've seen, her portrayal didn't seem terribly strong. Just typical squinty Renee. Maybe I'm missing something. I've seen three of the others in the Best Actress category, and Cynthia Erivo has my vote.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:40 AM

7,245 posts, read 4,567,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I definitely think Joaquin has it locked up. I haven't been in a hurry to see Joker, but I've been told it's not very comic book-y (other than involving a comic book character, so I may end up enjoying it. .
It is not very comic book-y, but when someone is running around in face paint you kind of have to give it some room to not be the typical drama. I think it was sort of a brave movie.. calling out hypocrisy on both sides of the table.. I think that is why it was so popular.

I feel like the best actress category is weak. It is always weak. That does say there aren't a ton of great roles for women.

I just don't want to see 1917 win. I haven't seen it but it seems like a gimmick movie and I hate that winning.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:45 AM

430 posts, read 285,088 times
I don't usually watch the awards, or actually pay much attention to them. I did see that The Irishman is in. I saw it and if that is the highlight of the year, we are in a sad state of entertainment. I'm a huge fan of Scorsese, but this one missed the mark.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:48 AM

29,528 posts, read 22,729,268 times
The Irishman and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as 'best' picture nominees?

I liked the Irishman but best picture? And Once? Totally overrated and overlong movie, ludicrous.

The Joker, incredible and an inspired choice, hopefully it wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies